Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:51 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

For anyone wanting to visit the Denver metro area and thinking about moving here later, read this:
A lot of people from the "warmer" winter climates of the U.S., such as So Calif. or Florida, should make a visit here during our winter months. Making a visit during the summer months is very nice, but if you're not sure about the winters here, come here when a good snow storm is starting. When you have to drive thru "white-out" conditions, have to put the old snow shovel to use, have to sprinkle salt on the driveway to melt the ice (so you don't slide all over the place) and have to dawn that winter parka. Drive on the freeway when it is very slick from ice/snow and see if you can handle it. Yes, visit here when a nice snow storm is beginning and then make a relocating decision.
If you grew up in one of the "warmer" winter climates, a Denver area winter could really be a shock to you. Yes, there are days that we have "summer like" weather during the winter here, but then there are days that Old Man Winter can really turn your day into a "white, cold and icy" one.
We already knew what winters were like, being raised in Indiana & Michigan, but we now have to leave because we can no longer handle the so-called "mild" winters here.
We absolutely love Colorado and where we live, but are bodies are saying to us "you must move".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Hopefully your property will sell quickly and you will be on your way to a happier life.

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails," says Dolly Parton.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Unfortunately a visit usually won't give an accurate picture of what a Colorado winter is like. Last year I spent one week in Denver during December. It almost never stopped snowing, I spent a lot of time bundled up and shoveling snow. The winter before I also spent one week in Denver. It was in the 60's every day, not a cloud in the sky and I never wore a jacket during the entire trip (even when going out at night). There is nothing typical about Colorado winters and a week or two is not enough time to get an accurate picture of the weather. You need at least a year or two to really understand Colorado winters. With that said, I miss them, I wish I was in a Colorado winter right now.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Boy are right here! This last Spring, it was snowing fairly hard in Parker (where we live) and sticking to the yard/street. It think that was happening on a Wednesday and the predicted temperature for the following weekend was to be in the lower 80's.......which it was. On that afternoon it was snowing, nobody what have thought about putting a boat on Chatfield or Cherry Creek Reserviors. But, we stopped by Chatfield that following Saturday afternoon and there were boats all over that lake in 82 degree weather.
Unfortunately, due to: our age (58/59), our bones/muscles now that ache from cold temps, my hip replacement (aches during real cold temps) and my costly (even with insurance) shoulder surgery from a falling in snow/ice just before Christmas, we have to sell our house and move to a "less" winter climate. I just can not afford another fall and I don't want my wife to fall.
Even though we DO love Colorado and Parker, our health has to come FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Unfortunately a visit usually won't give an accurate picture of what a Colorado winter is like. Last year I spent one week in Denver during December. It almost never stopped snowing, I spent a lot of time bundled up and shoveling snow. The winter before I also spent one week in Denver. It was in the 60's every day, not a cloud in the sky and I never wore a jacket during the entire trip (even when going out at night). There is nothing typical about Colorado winters and a week or two is not enough time to get an accurate picture of the weather. You need at least a year or two to really understand Colorado winters. With that said, I miss them, I wish I was in a Colorado winter right now.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 AM

As a current resident of the Denver area (last 5 yrs) and the writer of this Thread, I still think that ANYONE who is considering a move to this area should read the Thread.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 AM

25 posts, read 77,473 times
Default Completely agree

I completely agree with you! I am native to So. California, and love it here, but want to leave because I can no longer afford to live here. It is hard to decide where to move, because I've never even been in snow (don't laugh!), so I don't know what to expect if I had to live/drive in it. But is it worse than living in a place like AZ, where it gets to 110 degrees? Or Texas, where the humidity is disgusting? The heat in Cali is a dry heat, and can get to well over 100. At that point, I'm none-to-happy. But I've never delt with humidity or snow. Which is the worse of the 3 evils...snow, heat, humidity? And there is trying to find a place with the right weather, yet has affordable housing, good job market and low crime. Denver seems to be where my research keeps taking me, but that whole "snow thing" keeps me from being 100% commited to the idea.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Read my reply under the Thread that you done about weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: