Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 9,500 times

Advertisements

Not to hi-jack the thread. But where would one get info on federal jobs in denver? I have my bachelors degree.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,216,816 times
USAJobs

Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,971,439 times
Financially, you're best off in Orlando. Cost of living is probably lower than either of the other two places, and while the salary is low you're avoiding state income tax, which mostly makes up for that. Plus, you're already there so you don't have to incur relocation expenses.

Financially, you're getting a much better deal in Denver than in Philadelphia. Not only do you get a slightly higher salary, but you don't have to pay Philadelphia's insidious "wage tax" -- which puts an additional 4% back in your pocket if you live in Denver. (Both PA and CO do have state income tax, but you're getting a higher salary to compensate). Also, Denver has reasonable rent and property taxes compared to Philadelphia, though housing values are similar.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
Most people are gonna say you'll need a car in Denver, it can be difficult to get by without one.

Gas is what in Denver nowadays? $2.40 $2.50?

Yes there's quite a bit of gas stations with alternative fuels.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread. But where would one get info on federal jobs in denver? I have my bachelors degree.thanks
There's only one place for fed jobs: usajobs.opm.gov

Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Well ended up applying for all 3 since its due in today. Realized I should apply but still interested in the answer in the event I get called in which I really do think I will. I get Non Competitive Eligibility at the moment so my name should be at the top of the list.
Unless you're a disabled vet or displaced/former/current Federal employee, you're name is not going to be at the top of any list. Sorry to be blunt about it, but that's the reality.

Quote:
I'm just concerned with some jobs like in DC there's a job I could apply for that pays the same 40k but I know DC is extremely expensive so that might not be enough to have my own place and be able to put money into savings/mutuals. Sounds like Denver won't have that problem.
Well here's the thing. Promotions from one grade to the next are guaranteed every year in the Federal government until you hit GS-13. That means you start out at Gs-5 or GS-7, and you're gonna get a salary increase along with a cost-of-living every year for the next several years. So if you stick around with it that long, you'll find yourself making much more than $40,000 .... assuming you have the education and other qualifications to merit the promotions.

So ... yeah you could move to Denver and save a little more than you would in DC, but eventually you'd be saving in DC too, so it depends where you wanna live.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM

18 posts, read 59,466 times
If quality of living plays a factor and you enjoy the outdoors, I would encourage you to go for Denver even if the salary is way lower. Sorry, Orlando just does not do it for me at all.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Well ended up applying for all 3 since its due in today. Realized I should apply but still interested in the answer in the event I get called in which I really do think I will. I get Non Competitive Eligibility at the moment so my name should be at the top of the list.

Sounds like Denver will work based on that salary from an initial stand point. I'll have to ask more questions if I get it.

I'm just concerned with some jobs like in DC there's a job I could apply for that pays the same 40k but I know DC is extremely expensive so that might not be enough to have my own place and be able to put money into savings/mutuals. Sounds like Denver won't have that problem.
Good luck. I've had zero luck with any Fed. job, and I get vet preference. The last two, I received letters that said I was "qualified" and my info. was being passed on to the hiring manager, but I still never got an interview and the positions were filled by someone else. And I had to call multiple times just to find out the positions were filled.

I've found applying for federal jobs to be a waste of time, paper, and effort so far. At least for the 150 corporate jobs I've applied to and received no response, I only invested maybe 15 min into applying. I fail to see how anyone gets hired into the federal system.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There's only one place for fed jobs: usajobs.opm.gov
Yes, that's the black hole that sucks up your time and gives you nothing in return lol!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,755,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I fail to see how anyone gets hired into the federal system.
As the saying goes, you need an act of congress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver