Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I also have family in the Summerlin area, who I've been visiting at least twice a year every year the last 10 years, last time I visited back in Feb it was still a nice area.
Me too. We visited my BIL last year and still thought that his house is an absolute mansion and his neighborhood is way too swanky for us. Perhaps Summerlin is a large area, but at least where my BIL lives, it's still very nice.

It's unfortunate about Las Vegas but I have never really been a fan of that city anyway.

When you watch the news and hear about the housing market decline, it doesn't really make me pause. "People are having their homes foreclosed on? Oh well." Perhaps in some areas of Denver, it's worse than others, but there is just a "smattering" of homes for sale in my neighborhood and surely not all of them are about to lose their homes...a few are military with orders or are moving for a job.

Then, we go down to Phoenix or Las Vegas and it really hits you the kind of mess that housing market made. My sister lives in Cave Creek and when we drive out there, I have never seen so many "For Sale" signs. Phoenix has been devastated by the turn in the housing market and my best friend (who works for the Chamber of Commerce) said the economy has affected Phoenix just as bad as it did Detroit because so many people in Phoenix made their money from land and housing.

The problem was that the market got overinflated and people in Phoenix and Las Vegas were led to believe that if they didn't jump in now, they would be priced out of the housing market forever. That led to people paying $200K MORE than the house was worth...it's just stucco and some cruddy tile and yet people were lining up to pay $450K for a 3 bedroom home with a tiny xeriscaped yard. No one thought the "party" would ever end...theories like "your house is the best investment you'll ever make" or "the housing market never goes down" were coming out of people's mouths so matter-of-factly that those who don't really understand the market bought in hook-line-and-sinker.

Every day, I thank God that I had enough sense to take a moment to pause and wonder WHERE these people were getting the money to pay $500K for a house when they just graduated from college. Something didn't "smell" right and so we refrained from getting into the housing market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,772,583 times
We're in Greenwood Village, very nice neighborhoods. My kids leave bikes out all the time, no issues. We have award-winning schools, and right by I-25 for quick commuting via car/rail depending on where your employment is.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 PM

120 posts, read 383,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
....They call it the ghetto and we live in Summerlin.
Summerlin = the ghetto? That's pretty funny.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
Interesting thread going on the Phoenix forum now, which has turned into a Las Vegas vs Phoenix vs Denver debate: Area in Phoenix most like Summerlin, NV? (suburb of Las Vegas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver