U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM

337 posts, read 587,366 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear on the experiences of those who have moved to Denver within the past yr or so.

I'm from Sunny Florida but currently in Asheville NC to recover from injuries.

After moving here I began getting the itch to live out West and live in a climate where I will get a better sense of the seasons, plus a place that has enough stuff to do, unlike where I"m currently living.

So feel free to give me both good and bad on your move to Denver or surrounding areas.

Please no finance or career advice on the move as all is well in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
Something I've learned in the last year: any place can be a good place to live if you have family & friends there and a good job. But if you're lonely and/or don't have a stable job where you're happy, then even a place that looks absolutely "perfect" on paper can be a crappy place to live. It all depends on the circumstances!

Why makes you ask about Denver in particular? What is it that initially drew your interest to post here?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM

4,454 posts, read 7,218,131 times
Personally, I really like Asheville ~ it's a great city (though I've only visited while living in Atlanta). Denver is just a city, nothing remarkable other than it's location (IMHO, I grew up in Wyoming and have been coming here for just shy of 4 decades). Not to say it's a bad place to be, because it's not. And I'm not saying there aren't worse places (Again, just my opinion, but you could NOT pay me enough to live in California, or Phoenix again). It's what you make of it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-19-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Something I've learned in the last year: any place can be a good place to live if you have family & friends there and a good job. But if you're lonely and/or don't have a stable job where you're happy, then even a place that looks absolutely "perfect" on paper can be a crappy place to live. It all depends on the circumstances!

Why makes you ask about Denver in particular? What is it that initially drew your interest to post here?
Drawn to Denver for it's weather and the big city appeal w/ the outdoors right there as well.

Place I'm living now would be perfect w/ mountains and great weather, minus is no snow, and it's very small rural area w/ the locals in this state being very small minded.

What are the people like there? Is Denver becoming more like any other destination city where the transplants are beginning to out # the locals?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Personally, I really like Asheville ~ it's a great city (though I've only visited while living in Atlanta). Denver is just a city, nothing remarkable other than it's location (IMHO, I grew up in Wyoming and have been coming here for just shy of 4 decades). Not to say it's a bad place to be, because it's not. And I'm not saying there aren't worse places (Again, just my opinion, but you could NOT pay me enough to live in California, or Phoenix again). It's what you make of it.
Issue w/ Asheville is more that it's becoming more like San Francisco than a typical Southern State. While I dont mind living in a melting pot, Asheville is becoming a bit over board.

Plus it's a very small town w/ not much to do.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-19-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 PM

4,454 posts, read 7,218,131 times
Understood, and which is why I said I'd only visited from Atlanta. Since I'm a small town guy (93 in my graduating HS class, town of 7,000 people), I may have a different viewpoint.

Denver absolutely has more transplants than locals. The "outdoors" is a bit further away than in Asheville IMHO (I guess depending on where you live and what you consider "outdoors"). It's Much easier to get away from people from Asheville though (more small roads, fewer people trying to get to the fewer "sweet" spots). Hard to beat the weather and the Rockies though. Even my wife (GA born and raised) is hooked on this general area.

The best thing to do is come out for a visit. You get a different feel for a place while doing that, but can get at least a little sense of a place. In Denver you can go from an area where everyone tries too hard to be 'hip'/'cool', to family friendly and very grounded (might be considered bland/boring) within a couple miles. Lots of unique neighborhoods that will fit all kinds of personalities/styles that I didn't necessarily see in some other locations (Atlanta and Phoenix).

Again, just my opinion... it's worth what you paid.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
Drawn to Denver for it's weather and the big city appeal w/ the outdoors right there as well.

Place I'm living now would be perfect w/ mountains and great weather, minus is no snow, and it's very small rural area w/ the locals in this state being very small minded.

What are the people like there? Is Denver becoming more like any other destination city where the transplants are beginning to out # the locals?
Denver has always been a "destination city" where people from all over want to move for various lifestyle reasons. Almost every city in the western US is a "destination city." There are definitely areas of town where I suspect that transplants outnumber natives/ long term residents. But unlike cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno, where EVERYBODY it seems like is from somewhere else (example, at AZ D'backs games more people root for the Cubs when they place than the D'backs), Denver at least has a strong "hometown" community spirit and at least a significant minority of the population has multigenerational roots. A lot of civic pride here!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Understood, and which is why I said I'd only visited from Atlanta. Since I'm a small town guy (93 in my graduating HS class, town of 7,000 people), I may have a different viewpoint.

Denver absolutely has more transplants than locals. The "outdoors" is a bit further away than in Asheville IMHO (I guess depending on where you live and what you consider "outdoors"). It's Much easier to get away from people from Asheville though (more small roads, fewer people trying to get to the fewer "sweet" spots). Hard to beat the weather and the Rockies though. Even my wife (GA born and raised) is hooked on this general area.

The best thing to do is come out for a visit. You get a different feel for a place while doing that, but can get at least a little sense of a place. In Denver you can go from an area where everyone tries too hard to be 'hip'/'cool', to family friendly and very grounded (might be considered bland/boring) within a couple miles. Lots of unique neighborhoods that will fit all kinds of personalities/styles that I didn't necessarily see in some other locations (Atlanta and Phoenix).

Again, just my opinion... it's worth what you paid.
I see u didn't like AZ much why is that? I ask cause at one point when living in Miami I searched for areas in US w/ best climates and a place atop a Mtn in AZ came up as always having like 70deg weather. I was like I thought AZ was like very hot.

Also going to AZ this summer possibly for a CE class, I know it gets hot, I can't handle humid, why i left FL. Some people have said the dry heat is so much better than the FL GA NC humidity, is that true. I can handle heat just not the humidity that makes u feel like u need to bathe every min.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Denver has always been a "destination city" where people from all over want to move for various lifestyle reasons. Almost every city in the western US is a "destination city." There are definitely areas of town where I suspect that transplants outnumber natives/ long term residents. But unlike cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno, where EVERYBODY it seems like is from somewhere else (example, at AZ D'backs games more people root for the Cubs when they place than the D'backs), Denver at least has a strong "hometown" community spirit and at least a significant minority of the population has multigenerational roots. A lot of civic pride here!
That's great to hear. My whole point of moving West is that "One Day Hopefully when i meet that special someone" I want to raise my future children in nice cultured safe places.

When I think of these types of places for some reason a nice big house w/ large wrap around porch w/ big yards and nice neighbors etc come to mind, it is always places like Iowa, Wyoming, etc that pop in my head, but that's the type of environment I'm looking for, well when I have kids that is.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 AM

4 posts, read 11,188 times
That is one positive about Denver! It is warm all summer and can be hot but it is a dry heat! No humidity which makes life so much more enjoyable. I am currently living in Dallas, TX but i am fro Denver and the humidity def makes things a bit more miserable. I would def check out Denver. Its a safe, clean, and nice city. I am a native Coloradan and i plan on moving back in a month! Nothing beats the weather or people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or