U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM

286 posts, read 614,244 times

Advertisements

I just visited Denver and thought it was great. Enjoyed the downtown area. I'm thinking about moving there, but I have a few lingering doubts.
I'm a 27 year old, single professional guy.

1) It seemed like the main social scene was downtown, around Lodo. Wherever I move, I would like to find a city where there are a few different viable social scenes. I enjoy mixing it up and meet a variety of people. Is there a viable social scene for young professionals other than Lodo? By viable, I mean something going on at least 4-5 nights per week.

2) It seems like the people I met there fell into two categories: 1) transplants from the West Coast, 2) transplants from the Midwest/Plains. People from West Coast were really chill and fun to talk to. Not to start some huge debate, but a lot of people from the Midwest/Plains States were a drag to talk to. The either standoffish or gave off the conservative red state vibe. People I met from Chicago were an exception to this. I'm hoping this was just a random occurance. Has anyone noticed this?

3) I've heard Denver natives can be somewhat aloof. I don't think I met a single one. Is there some truth to this?

4) A few people said it's easy to run into the same people over and over again while out. For people that actually go out on the town, have you noticed this? After living in Denver for a few years, does the city still feel big?

5) It seemed like the "coolest" places to shop were at the mall in Cherry Creek or thrift stores in Aurora. Was I missing something here?

6) Is Denver family-oriented? I'm not looking to settle down. I'm looking for a city to have some to offer me socially when I'm 35.

Thanks. Anyway, in the time I spent there, I really enjoyed your city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,727,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
I just visited Denver and thought it was great. Enjoyed the downtown area. I'm thinking about moving there, but I have a few lingering doubts.
Sounds like the typical demographic of people thinking of moving to Denver.

Quote:
1) It seemed like the main social scene was downtown, around Lodo. Wherever I move, I would like to find a city where there are a few different viable social scenes. I enjoy mixing it up and meet a variety of people. Is there a viable social scene for young professionals other than Lodo? By viable, I mean something going on at least 4-5 nights per week.
I'd say no way... LoDo is where Denver's sports bar scene is based, but it's in no way the epicenter of social life. LoDo is the dead last place I'd go if you're looking to meet members of the female species. I think the real "scene" in Denver is based around the many neighborhood parks (Washington Park probably being the most prominent one) and little neighborhood commercial districts, such as 32nd & Lowell, along Broadway, Colfax and old South Pearl St.

Quote:
2) It seems like the people I met there fell into two categories: 1) transplants from the West Coast, 2) transplants from the Midwest/Plains. People from West Coast were really chill and fun to talk to. Not to start some huge debate, but a lot of people from the Midwest/Plains States were a drag to talk to. The either standoffish or gave off the conservative red state vibe. People I met from Chicago were an exception to this. I'm hoping this was just a random occurance. Has anyone noticed this?
I sort of agree with you on this. I do like the "west coast" culture... whatever that means. I seem to have problems socializing with people from Michigan in particular, but I've met tons of friendly people from Ohio, Illinois, Nebraska... even North Dakota. Something about Michigan though just kind of sucks. I think that people who profile potential friends/acquaintences based on their political beliefs... suck. I can get along with people on both sides of the spectrum.

Quote:
3) I've heard Denver natives can be somewhat aloof. I don't think I met a single one. Is there some truth to this?
Can you give us an example of behavior of what that means?

Quote:
4) A few people said it's easy to run into the same people over and over again while out. For people that actually go out on the town, have you noticed this? After living in Denver for a few years, does the city still feel big?
I've never lived in "the city"-- I'll let others answer that.

Quote:
5) It seemed like the "coolest" places to shop were at the mall in Cherry Creek or thrift stores in Aurora. Was I missing something here?
Shopping at Cherry Creek mall/North is for middle aged women mainly. I just buy clothes at Kohls, maybe once a year. There are plenty of retro/vintage clothing shops around town, if that's what you're asking. There's nothing "cool" about Aurora whatsover. However, one thing Aurora does offer is an abundance of authentic ethnic food, usually in old strip malls. Aurora-- especially central Aurora, is the most internationally diverse city in the state as far as I can tell.

Quote:
6) Is Denver family-oriented? I'm not looking to settle down. I'm looking for a city to have some to offer me socially when I'm 35.

Denver is a great place for people of all ages and all walks of life. There's a little something for everybody-- many different types of people can fit in there, families & singles. However, if you're looking for the "coolest," "hippest," most urban, latest to greatest city, I'd look elsewhere. Bigger cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, Philly, LA, SF, Seattle out-urban Denver, always have, always will.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM

75 posts, read 179,884 times
Hard to know what you're looking for without knowing you, but as a 30 year old who has been through the professional social scene here, I guess I'll give you my take.

-You're right, Lodo is the main social scene. However there are many other areas, like some mentioned, that are also viable and fun to hit up for a change. We would usually go out in Lodo, but when we got bored we'd do a night at Colfax, or Wash Park, Broadway, or wherever else. Still though, Lodo is the most popular. There are tons of single professional women around your age there. If you don't find them you aren't looking very hard.

-Actually I've noticed the opposite, though that's probably because I'm from the midwest, and most of my friends are as well. Seems like 4 out of 5 people I'd meet are from the midwest somewhere. In our age group, the midwesterners always seemed to be more friendly and open and accepting of new people, just looking to have a good time. The west coasters seem to be more snobby and focused on money and/or acting cool. Again, just my take, and there are always exceptions on both sides. Lots of cool west coasters and jerk midwesterners out there too.

-There just aren't that many Denver natives. They're around though.

-I always felt like it was a "right sized" city. If you know a lot of peope, you go out in Lodo and you'll see some poeple you know, which I liked. However it's not like you're going to see the same people over and over, and like I said there are also plenty of other social scenes.

-Seems like those are polar opposites. A $5 used pair of jeans or a $500 pair from Nieman Marcus. I'm not a thrift store shopper, nor do I consider shopping cool, but I suppose Cherry Creek would be a cool place to shop if there was one. Just not into shopping, it's more a necessity to me than a sport. I actually prefer the suburban malls for the record, or better yet shopping online and avoiding the malls.

-The farther from the center of the city you go, the more family oriented it is. You can go from downtown all the way to Highlands Ranch on that scale. Something for everyone. I think there are a lot of older singles who still enjoy Denver.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM

5,846 posts, read 9,487,775 times
(1) Outside of Lodo you've got the East Colfax area and the South Broadway area, these are about the only other places in Denver with anything going on most nights of the week. Otherwise most of Denver is pretty uneventful.

Overall I would rank Denver's social scene around a five on a scale from 1 to 10. There's nothing outstanding about it but it's better than most of the surrounding towns and cities.

(2) yes i think it's accurate to say that the primary influences of the cultural scene are the west coasters and the midwesterners.

(3) That Denver natives are "somewhat aloof" I think is stretching it. But in general I think it's fair to say Denverites can tend towards being reserved. I think this is due to the Midwestern attitudes.

(4) It's not real easy to run into the same people unless you find yourself going to the same club or bar every week. I'd say after a few years , yes Denver does start to feel small and seem like you've covered all you can see.

(5) probably accurate

(6) It's not particularly noticeable. Except there's a lot of suburbs in Denver and those places are definitely family oriented. If you stick around central Denver you won't notice it as much.

(7)

Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,926 times
I've found that getting hooked up with a group like Denver Young Professionals (Denver Young Professionals | Where young professionals network in Denver) makes all the difference when moving to a new town. This group caters specifically to 20/30 somethings that are mature, have careers, and have knowledge of what I may need to hunt down in town....whether it be where to hike, where the good Thai food is, or where is the arts events worth going to (which often are not on the normal community calendars) is. Check them out here or look for a YP group wherever you land.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM

18 posts, read 28,557 times
Hi Mcredux,

I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm a 23 year old female looking into moving to Denver for quite some time. I've been there 4 times in less than a year beause I love it so much. I'm currently in the 2nd round for an interview for a job right in downtown. I love downtown denver. My good friend lives close to coors field and you're so close to everything. Other people I talk to really like capital hill and the DU area. Highlands Ranch is gorgeous but seems a little more family oriented rather than the social scene you're looking for. I can talk with you more in detail about it, so feel free to message me. Good luck with everything!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM

59 posts, read 177,589 times
**For me I thought there was other areas that have been mentioned. But when I worked downtown I would go to places around Lodo quite often.

**I have not noticed this, but have not looked for it either

**Never noticed this either

**I hardly ever run into anyone I know when I go out downtown, so the city still feels pretty big to me but not too big if that makes sense.

**I guess it would depend on what type of shopping you are looking at doing at what the "coolest" places would be. But the mall in Cherry Creek wouldn't strike me as a cool place.

**I do think it's family oriented. That's something I like about Denver, I think it caters to different types of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver