U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,468 times

Advertisements

My family (inc. two very young children) is planning to relocate from Orange County, CA to the Denver area next year. We will be visiting next week to tour various cities/neighborhoods in the area and figure out which areas would be the best fit for us. We are especially interested in Parker since it seems very similar to where we live now (Irvine, CA) but I realize it can be a long commute into Denver and we'd like to consider other options in case my husband gets a job that is too far from Parker. I'm trying to find out what other neighborhoods/cities in the Denver area are comparable to Parker as far as quality of schools, safety, family-friendly ammenities, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 PM

10,904 posts, read 29,390,124 times
Have the hubby get the job, then focus on a location.

Parker is nice, but so are all the other suburbs.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Have the hubby get the job, then focus on a location.
We'll definitely be doing things in that order when the time comes, I just wanted to narrow it down a bit so we can have a list of places to check out while we're visiting next week.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 PM

79 posts, read 123,738 times
Sure! Elizabeth, near Parker, is another once rural ag. community ruined by greedy developers from somewhere else. They're both once meaningful places with purpose turned into bedroom communities for commuters. You might look into Highlands Ranch while you're at it.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
Sure! Elizabeth, near Parker, is another once rural ag. community ruined by greedy developers from somewhere else. They're both once meaningful places with purpose turned into bedroom communities for commuters. You might look into Highlands Ranch while you're at it.
Wow, didn't realize my question would upset or offend anyone! I'm just looking for a nice, safe place for my family to live. Hoping I'll get some responses here that will actually prove helpful...

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyeoc View Post
Wow, didn't realize my question would upset or offend anyone! I'm just looking for a nice, safe place for my family to live. Hoping I'll get some responses here that will actually prove helpful...
Don't take it too personally. You've just stumbled upon one of the nativists the Colorado forums are known for. As 2bindenver said, any of the suburbs on the edge of Denver will have a similar feel. In the south metro, Highlands Ranch is probably most similar to Irvine. Its big. Its master planned. Its safe. Its clean. And the lots tend to be small, just like Irvine. Highlands Ranch was started by the same company that built Mission Viejo. Southeast Aurora and parts of Centennial are also similar.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM

10,904 posts, read 29,390,124 times
The Denver area is too large to land in one direction and work in another - no matter what your current commute is.

Your life and family is more important than work. Spending two hours a day commuting is 10 hours a week you spend without your family.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,712,630 times
Here's what southeast Aurora looks like: Southeast Aurora, CO -- PHOTO TOUR.

I'd say the outer ring of SE, S, SW, W, and NW suburbs is all more or less pretty similar. The NE metro area (Commerce City, Montbello, Green Valley Ranch, north Aurora, old parts of Brighton) is the only area that I think is a little sub-par for various reasons (IMHO)-- but you'll find plenty of people even there who love their neighborhoods. Most of the "inner ring" suburbs of the Denver metro area are also pretty nice as well-- probably better than most of north OC.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 05-12-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,456,648 times
A long commute from Parker is like a 45minute commute, or an average commute for a person here in LA/OC. Of course, if you're employed over in Lakewood, CO that would be a heck of a drive. There's also access to the rail at the northern end of Parker.

Anyways, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock(longer commute than either probably), SE Aurora, and some other southern suburbs should work. Older parts of Highlands Ranch are very similar to Mission Viejo

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 PM

345 posts, read 871,144 times
Lone Tree is another place to look...Ive been told it has reminded people of Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or