Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM

24 posts, read 109,170 times

Advertisements

Here is a little more information.

I am a bi-racial 30yr old female thinking about relocating to either San Francisco or Denver from Las Vegas,NV in the next 8 months. I am trying to get away from the desert (100 + degree weather) scene and move into a different environment (somewhere that receives rain). Currently working as a Senior Credit Analysts and hoping to transfer with the company but if I can't what is the job market like in both cities?

Traveled to both cities and I love the culture, attitude, uniqueness, and diversity each city offers, but having to choose between the two is becoming a headache.

Please Help!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly926 View Post

I am a bi-racial 30yr old female thinking about relocating to either San Francisco or Denver from Las Vegas,NV in the next 8 months. I am trying to get away from the desert (100 + degree weather) scene and move into a different environment (somewhere that receives rain). Currently working as a Senior Credit Analysts and hoping to transfer with the company but if I can't what is the job market like in both cities?

Traveled to both cities and I love the culture, attitude, uniqueness, and diversity each city offers, but having to choose between the two is becoming a headache.

Please Help!

Thanks.
Well, I think your key point is "somewhere that receives rain". The Bay Area receives quite a bit of rain from November to March. In the winter time, Denver receives snow, and it gets pretty cold. You being from Vegas, I wonder how well you will deal with snow and subfreezing temperatures. If the snow and cold is OK for you, you'll probably like Denver.

Both cities have very nice summers. Just FYI though a few 100 + degree days are possible in both places. But I don't think that will be a problem for you, coming from Vegas.

As for the job market, in California it sucks. It sucks, it sucks, it sucks, and it's still getting worse. The situation seems hopeless. Please don't come to the Bay Area without first having a job lined up.

Having lived in both places, I have to give you a mixed review. For jobs, you'll have an easier time in Denver. For weather, and if you have a job lined up, come to the Bay Area. The weather is perfect here. Lots of sun, not too hot, not to cold.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:58 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Don't know what the money situation is like out in SF (I know cost of living is fairly high), but Denver jobs aren't paying worth crap right now. Cost of living is likely lower out here, but I'm fairly astonished at what most people in professional fields seem to be making out here. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

I love Denver, and unfortunately haven't had a chance to visit SF yet, but it seems like a great town with a lot of culture and personality and is a major west coast city. I suspect Denver is probably a little more "laid back" so to speak, though always with that grain of salt that people work 40+ hours a week to make a living in both cities.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I would choose Denver based on lower cost of living, but really, if you can transfer to SF *with* a job (that pays accordingly, since the cost of living is so high), then go for it!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
As someone who has lived in Denver for the last decade but is originally from SFand visits often, YES, to all of the above. NorCal does receive considerably more rain than here and SF-proper receives considerably less sun than here. The most important question, by far, is can you comfortably cover the cost of housing in SF? (Aside from other COL sticking points like gas, food, car insurance, etc.)

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Denver is similar to the "high desert" climate that you're familiar with in Las Vegas. It doesn't receive much rain, it's very brown and dry. San Francisco is a very different climate as you know, it receives rain and has a much narrower yearly range of temperatures.

For city life, culture, arts and diversity, San Francisco beats Denver hands down.

In my line of work (IT), San Francisco job market is much better than Denver's right now. I don't know about other lines of work, but Denver is slow overall.

Based on these criteria, my vote is for San Francisco.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,533 times
S.F. and California in general have lots of problems, including a still expensive cost of living including housing, government can't pay for essentials, and earthquakes! I heard they were so far behind rebuilding the Bay Bridge they didn't know if it would be finished or not when the next "big one" hits. I don't know how Western Colorado fares with the quakes (Utah seems to rumble every now and then) but I wouldn't want to live out there for anything.

Oh, and when Yellowstone does blow, Denver will be right in its wake, but oh well, such is life. BTW, I'd rather deal with the occassional spring or fall blizzard here in CO than the problems in CA.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly926 View Post

Please Help!

Thanks.
If you're single, then Denver

Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Look, I really like Denver and think it is a really cool town, but comparing it to SF is not even fair. SF is truly a world-class city when it comes to culture, sports, economy, food, architecture and just about everything else. Also it has one of the best climates in the US and it's probably the most naturally beautiful city in the US if not the world. Add to that its proximity to other world-renown attractions like Yosemite, Coastal Redwoods, Napa, Monterey and Big Sur and you have an urban metro that is incomparable to any place I've ever lived in or visited.

The one drawback, and it's a BIIIIIIG drawback is the incredibly high cost of living. Even in this economy, expect to pay well over $1000/month for a modest apartment in a sub-prime location. Most people who move to the city and don't have especially high paying jobs (I'm talking $120k/yr or more as a minimum) end up renting a studio apartment or finding roommates. If you're up for that sort of lifestyle then living in SF will be an experience you will never forget, even if you can't stay long.

Denver on the other hand has all the amenities of any large city, it has some interesting history and a beautiful skyline with a mountain backdrop. It also has stellar access to the mountains for hiking, skiing, and so on. It will be more affordable than SF and, IMO, due to its smaller size and slower place (I'm talking about the greater urban area here, not the city proper) it is a better area to settle down in than SF. It's really just up to whatever you prefer.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Look, I really like Denver and think it is a really cool town, but comparing it to SF is not even fair. SF is truly a world-class city when it comes to culture, sports, economy, food, architecture and just about everything else. Also it has one of the best climates in the US and it's probably the most naturally beautiful city in the US if not the world. Add to that its proximity to other world-renown attractions like Yosemite, Coastal Redwoods, Napa, Monterey and Big Sur and you have an urban metro that is incomparable to any place I've ever lived in or visited.
Totally. You've got the best of all worlds in SF. If you wanna go to the mountains, drive a few hours and you're in Lake Tahoe. Ocean is right there. Great weather. Lots of culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: