U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 PM

68,657 posts, read 57,336,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Oh, for some reason I thought I read that parents were given a survey and pay-for-bus was the top choice. I'm sure the school board knows what's best for our kids.
As I understand it, the parents were surveyed, however, the school board made the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM

68,657 posts, read 57,336,925 times
I stand corrected regarding another post. It's Adams 12 that is considering charging $12/month, not Jeffco.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,500,482 times
A small price to pay for maintaining the lowest tax burden in the developed world, no? Put the tea partiers in charge and you'll be getting plenty more of this.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

357 posts, read 799,407 times
I hate, hate, hate this. I wish that bond had passed. if we all give a little bit, then this sort of thing won't be necessary.

I'm so glad CCSD's bond passed. that has softened the need for cuts.

now if we could only get folks to pay their fair share on a state level...

Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 AM

622 posts, read 1,134,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
I hate, hate, hate this. I wish that bond had passed. if we all give a little bit, then this sort of thing won't be necessary.

I'm so glad CCSD's bond passed. that has softened the need for cuts.

now if we could only get folks to pay their fair share on a state level...
The articles I found said the proposed levy would have raised the tax on a "372,000 home $120.45/year". That was higher than most of the districts asking for mill levys. Either way there were cuts coming. For comparison here are some levy rates for metro area school districts (tax year 2010).

46.81 - Douglas County
48.825 - Cherry Creek
46.081 - Littleton
37.199 - Englewood
37.627 - Sheridan
48.145 - Jefferson County
53.455 - Aurora
40.118 - Mapleton
70.179 - Adams 5 Star
44.813 - Commerce City
45.284 - Brighton
59.704 - Westminster 50

Higher mill levys don't necessarily mean better quality education. It's just been posted multiple times how Cherry Creek passed their levy increase but Douglas County didn't so Douglas County schools are going to pot. They still have similar levy rates and in fact Cherry Creek had a mill levy of 52.397 in 2000 so it is down since then. The fact remains that Douglas County remains a fine district and one of the few that feuds with CCSD for top metro district. Throwing money to a district doesn't make/break the district and it's too bad so often districts count on these increases so much and the quality of the district is wrongly judged on them.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 AM

137 posts, read 250,342 times
I remember seeing somewhere that the DC transportation survey was seriously flawed in execution and in number of people answering. I will see if I can find the article and check back.

I like the Latte factor, always applicable to so many things thou dost protest!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 AM

357 posts, read 799,407 times
I don't care about any feud between districts or which one is "better". both have great things to offer, as well as littleton.

I just think that schools shouldn't have to nickel and dime parents. it's bad enough that kids are forced to fundraise endlessly for silly things. parents now bring supplies to schools. teachers spend tons of their own cash for basic supplies. now, parents are being asked to pay for bus rides. it needs to stop. education is a basic right of a free society but it isn't free. we need to pay for it - everyone needs to pay for it, whether you have kids in school or not.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM

8,519 posts, read 18,493,022 times
I think the school district is like software: The best one is the one you use.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,638,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGAL222 View Post
I remember seeing somewhere that the DC transportation survey was seriously flawed in execution and in number of people answering. I will see if I can find the article and check back.

I like the Latte factor, always applicable to so many things thou dost protest!
I agree VG, seems like a waste of money to even have a survey - not like it's up to the parents anyway. I guess they gotta throw the parents a bone. It's the same in CCSD, when they held 5 public townhall meetings for input on budget cuts. You can vent constructively but what's the use? They already were going ahead on their planned cuts.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM

2,212 posts, read 3,033,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I agree VG, seems like a waste of money to even have a survey - not like it's up to the parents anyway. I guess they gotta throw the parents a bone. It's the same in CCSD, when they held 5 public townhall meetings for input on budget cuts. You can vent constructively but what's the use? They already were going ahead on their planned cuts.
As one of the parents who attended the budget cut meetings at CCSD, I disagree.

First, I thought it would be like every other district meeting...a lot of "managers" and just a few parents. In reality, the one I attended was very full. I was pleased and surprised and felt like there were some very good ideas passed around, including changing the start/end times. I filled out paperwork, as did most of the people sitting around me, that indicated I was more in favor of changing start/end times and walking distances over increasing class sizes. As a result, class sizes for CCSD will stay the same and start/end times and walking distances have been changed. BTW, for those parents who work, they also increased the number of slots available for before/after care and everyone I know in my neighborhood school has said they were given a slot for next year.

Last year, CCSD thought they would be okay since the bond/levy passed. Then, they got the news that the state was cutting funding so things had to change in everyone's district, and fortunately for CCSD, they didn't have to cut as much. I think the number is $14 million, which seems high, but in reality can be compensated for with a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff instead of affecting what most kids see and do.

The atmosphere in each school is determined, as it always has been, by parental involvement and the PTCO. Our PTCO is very active and has great opportunities for fundraising instead of making kids go out and sell candybars and magazine subscriptions. In return, the money gets turned over to teachers to give them extra supplies, fund extracurricular activities, host community (non-fundraising) events and even send kids on field trips (my 1st grader had THREE field trips this year!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver