Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 32,938 times

Advertisements

My kid's were playing outside this morning, and started screaming. There was a baby snake in the play area. It appears to have a rattle. It tried to strike at my 7 year old.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a rattlesnake?-p5220655.jpg   Is this a rattlesnake?-p5220656.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purselady View Post
My kid's were playing outside this morning, and started screaming. There was a baby snake in the play area. It appears to have a rattle. It tried to strike at my 7 year old.
Yes. It looks like one.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
Yes it is, in fact it looks like an Eastern or Western Diamonback. He doesn't really look that small to me, looks about like 8 or nine rattles. I have heard that a young snake is the most poisonous because they do not know how to control their venom. They give it all they have when they bite. I am sure glad you found that bugger. I don't like snakes.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I'd say so--the head is the right shape and it appears to have a rattle. If you look at it head-on, you should be able to see the fangs. I don't know where you are, but rattlers about that size are very common in the Front Range foothills extending out on to the Eastern Plains. And, yes, smaller rattlers can be equally as poisonous as their larger brethren. Bull snakes are similarly marked and are often mistaken for rattlers, however they lack the triangular head and rattles. When disturbed, a bull snake will often coil up and imitate a rattler, however.

I don't know what you used to kill the snake, but a long-handled shovel is pretty effective for beheading the critter. I don't generally kill rattlers (they are great rodent controllers) unless, as it appears to be the case here, it was in a place to threaten kids or pets.

They taste like chicken . . . well to me they do. This guy disagrees: http://www.rattlesnakerecipe.us/

Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Get a pet Kingsnake, they'll eat all other snakes and are immune to snake venom.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purselady View Post
Yep. We've got bull snakes in our neighborhood and they look pretty similar minus the tell-tale rattler. The photo you showed is a snake with a rattle. Unfortunately for you, there is something in your area that attracts those little dudes. My in-laws are in Arizona and for whatever reason, they find rattlesnakes on their property a lot. Turns out, they are attracted to the neighbor's chicken eggs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this one just wandered a bit off course. If not, you are in for a hard time of it. My in-laws find at least 5-10 per month on their property...my mother-in-law went in their garage to do laundry and there was one next to the machine. Glad she turned on the garage light. Be very careful and you will have to keep a close eye on your kids because rattlesnakes like to hide in bushes, along the cement of driveways, in the a/c unit outside and in your gardening supplies. If there is a way for one of them to squeeze under or into something, they'll do it if they decide they like your house. If you've got a sand play toy in your backyard or your kid's play stuff is outside, you're going to have to move it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Yep. We've got bull snakes in our neighborhood and they look pretty similar minus the tell-tale rattler. The photo you showed is a snake with a rattle. Unfortunately for you, there is something in your area that attracts those little dudes. My in-laws are in Arizona and for whatever reason, they find rattlesnakes on their property a lot. Turns out, they are attracted to the neighbor's chicken eggs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this one just wandered a bit off course. If not, you are in for a hard time of it. My in-laws find at least 5-10 per month on their property...my mother-in-law went in their garage to do laundry and there was one next to the machine. Glad she turned on the garage light. Be very careful and you will have to keep a close eye on your kids because rattlesnakes like to hide in bushes, along the cement of driveways, in the a/c unit outside and in your gardening supplies. If there is a way for one of them to squeeze under or into something, they'll do it if they decide they like your house. If you've got a sand play toy in your backyard or your kid's play stuff is outside, you're going to have to move it.
Rattlesnakes tend to be attracted to warmth on cooler nights, so paving, concrete, etc. can be a real attraction at night this time of year. I had a friend who worked the graveyard shift at Martin Marietta southwest of Denver for years. He told of frequently having to dodge rattlers in the parking lot after a long night of work. Steady vibration in the ground will attract them, as well. Another friend, an oilfield geologist, told stories of watching rattlers crawl toward and onto running drilling rigs in eastern Montana.

As to attracting rattlers, lots of rattlers usually means lots of rodents. Truthfully, the risk of serious illness or dying is greater from hantavirus or the plague from rodents than the risk from rattlesnakes.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 AM

20 posts, read 85,963 times
That's what you got, now make a belt or hat band!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,493 times
bummer!!! glad no one was hurt. can you tell us in what area you live? yikes!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Yeeechk! Those things just give me the willies! Glad no one was hurt though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver