Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,657 times

Advertisements

Hey Gang!

My company folded their location in Denver and I reluctantly moved from the DTC area to a position in Dallas. Fast forward 10 years (yes I have been here that long) and I have just had enough of Dallas and need to come home.

I have been doing Software Testing in a Telecom Company and would just like to know how the market is in Denver now? When I left it was crumbling in telecom. My family and relatives in Denver do not work in IT so it is tough asking them. I will be hitting the usual job boards but I know not all positions are posted there so I thought I would ask.

Guess I need to sell my two wheel drive Ford Explorer for a four wheel drive again .

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM

299 posts, read 712,028 times
I've been monitoring the IT job market since we moved here last year. I'm an IBM Rational consultant and things have been slowly getting better in that niche. Over the past 9 months, I've seen quite a few QA related positions go by and the industry overall seems to be reasonably healthy and have some real, but limited growth. It could be an ok time to get into the job market. It's not 1998, but hey those days are gone

Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info OMM. Yeah I left in 2000 when the telecom bubble burst. Everything I have been doing has been with Quality Center. I need to brush up on my QTP though in a bad way. It basically became shelfware here and it is really a great product.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 AM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,533 times
I've been looking for a QA job for a year and a half, but mainly North of I-70 only. There are more jobs down in the tech center area. Most people are looking for very specialized skills and a programming background. I'd say it's pretty awful overall, but possibly better than most of the country.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM

75 posts, read 206,451 times
Overall the IT labor market in Denver has heated up considerably this year. Sounds like many areas are experiencing this.

Feel free to private message me to get my email address - I'm in IT consulting sales and have local clients hiring in QA currently, one in telecom in fact. It makes it a little more difficult if you aren't local but we can still try. I'd be happy to put you in touch with one of my recruiters.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Overall the IT labor market in Denver has heated up considerably this year. Sounds like many areas are experiencing this.

Feel free to private message me to get my email address - I'm in IT consulting sales and have local clients hiring in QA currently, one in telecom in fact. It makes it a little more difficult if you aren't local but we can still try. I'd be happy to put you in touch with one of my recruiters.

Thanks for the heads up MileHiGolfer. I sent you a pm.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsr View Post
I'd say it's pretty awful overall, but possibly better than most of the country.
I would disagree that it's "better than most of the country." There's some cities where IT hiring is okay: Seattle, Boston and San Francisco are the main ones.

It's very slow in Denver. It's not "heating up."

Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM

I think it's better than most of the country, actually. Not much, but it's not dismal. I'd rather be here than in Boston, Miami, Dallas, Austin, DC Area (lots of jobs but too many applicants), St. Louis, Portland, etc.

Boston is a pretty rough market for most skills. If you are a generic Java developer or a BA you can find work out there with the big box stores, etc. but there just isn't that much volume.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM

It's hard to say, and there are plenty of bogus statistics out there but this chart seems to correspond with what I've seen in the market. A slow, steady growth. Nothing special. I'm sure you could find a chart to demonstrate the opposite, though

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver