U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
BF just got a new job @ HP using (linux/unix)
Are you talking about the new HP call center that just opened in Albuquerque? That's kind of a unique situation and it's ALBUQUERQUE, not Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM

299 posts, read 628,899 times
Well, I got two offers and I know of at least 3 other people who have found new jobs in the area recently. What is it that you are saying?

It's hopeless and impossible to get a job in Denver? That's just not rooted in reality.

It's competitive and certainly not easy to get a job. There are tons of niches and specialties in IT and each of them faces different challenges in the Denver job market. Also, each applicant is different and in this job market you need to be reasonably competitive or you'll have a tough time.

With so many factors in play, can you realistically make blanket statements like you are making? Why have I gotten offers? Dice shows 1300 positions in the Denver area. Adding the keyword 'rational' (my specialty) reduces it to 23. Adding the term 'clearcase' reduces the list to just one relevant position for Jeppesen as a configuration manager. I read the job description and I'm hugely qualified for that job and would have a good chance of getting it. I see jobs like this coming through the pipeline regularly.

So, is it really 'false hope' to tell someone that there are jobs to be had in Denver despite the fact that the market isn't exactly on fire? Is it really realistic of you to say otherwise?

I got a call THIS MORNING about a work-from-home contract position as a ClearCase administrator for a firm in Pasadena.

In a competitive market like this, the more skilled applicants who have the most relevant and marketable skills, interview well, have great references and know how to sell themselves will get the few jobs that are available. I would say that about 1/3 of the applicants for IT jobs in general fit that bill, so it's not surprising that in a down market, many people aren't able to find jobs. For a strong applicant, it's not a disaster, though.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
With so many factors in play, can you realistically make blanket statements like you are making? Why have I gotten offers?
It doesn't matter to the folks on this forum who are trying to get a job whether you and I have jobs. yeah, I've got a job. yeah, I do some consulting on the side and I wasn't even looking for my current consulting gig. But this doesn't matter to the people here. They're asking how reasonable it is for them to expect to get a job in their chosen field and the answer is: it's not reasonable. The job market doesn't support it.

As I said before, let's look at the forum posters themselves. I can think of maybe half a dozen over the past few months looking for IT work and none of them have had any success.

Quote:
In a competitive market like this, the more skilled applicants who have the most relevant and marketable skills, interview well, have great references and know how to sell themselves will get the few jobs that are available.
Substitute "poor" for "competitive" and you've hit it on the head!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Very harsh. I moved to Denver and got a job. I know others who did. I guess this boils down to optimism and confidence.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM

581 posts, read 2,016,975 times
I have some thoughts as well.. I too am a Rational Clearcase / SCM professional. I have worked
at the same company for 3 years now. There have been several layoffs where I work during the
last 2 years so I keep my info updated on Dice and Monster.

That said, I do get calls on Rational Tools related work about twice a week but the pay is always
significantly less than what I currently make. Even the calls for contract work (IE no benefits) pay
below my current salary.

My friend who is in Solaris/Linux Admin tells me the same. That the work that is out there is about
a 40% paycut from his current salaried position. I am seeing the same paycut for Rational Tools
related work. I would be looking at a 40% paycut if I had to find work elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:46 PM

Also... I have seen that SCM job at Jeppesen come up about 4 times over the last 3 years.
One would have to wonder why the turnover for that position/company is so frequent?

For all those looking... Best Wishes... Monster, Dice, and Indeed are your best friends!
Indeed is exceptionally useful because it pulls jobs from many different job boards..

Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Pay cuts are happening across the whole country, so I'm not sure that's such a factor in whether Denver is a decent market.

That Jeppeson job is similar to a Toyota job that I see come up about every 6 months in Los Angeles for years now. It's not a good job description, so they are never happy with the employee and the employee is never happy with the job.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that pay-cuts are everywhere. I can't speak as to whether jobs
are more plentiful here in Denver vs other cities. But I do think the "better" salaried jobs are
scarce anywhere you go.

There is no shortage of 3 or 6-month contract jobs to be had in Denver, but when the hourly
rate is less than your current salaried job (which has full benefits) I consider the market to
be bad.

If every city is offering these generous 40% pay-cuts from "2007 wages", then I think the job
market everywhere is poor. Maybe I'm just to stubborn to accept that low wages are the norm.
I don't disagree with anyone on this topic. I just feel like the job market is poor in Denver
right now.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63376 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that pay-cuts are everywhere. I can't speak as to whether jobs
are more plentiful here in Denver vs other cities. But I do think the "better" salaried jobs are
scarce anywhere you go.

There is no shortage of 3 or 6-month contract jobs to be had in Denver, but when the hourly
rate is less than your current salaried job (which has full benefits) I consider the market to
be bad.

If every city is offering these generous 40% pay-cuts from "2007 wages", then I think the job
market everywhere is poor. Maybe I'm just to stubborn to accept that low wages are the norm.
I don't disagree with anyone on this topic. I just feel like the job market is poor in Denver
right now.

Well, OK I think your comments are fair and I agree with you. Perhaps we are both right:

1) The market is soft everywhere, with salaries down across the board!
2) It's stronger in some areas, weaker in others.
3) Considering the nationwide market situation for IT work, Denver isn't doing badly.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,559 times
Default Move

Good luck I had a few friends do that last year and have found something in IT work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or