U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
Default Moving to Denver from NYC

I'm a 25 year old single male who will be moving to Denver at the end of the summer from New York City, for the start of a new job. I will be working on California and 18th street. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to live?
I would prefer to spend no more than a $1,000 a month on rent, be able to go out on the weekend and not have to worry about driving (are there any areas that are similar to a New York neighborhood?) and not have to long of a commute. Essentially I would like to be in a very Urban enviroment, where there are lots of people my age.
I was looking on some apartment sites and saw these very trendy buildings that just seem over-priced and ridiculous. Are there any regular, relatively new apartment buildings that aren't overly stylish in and around the downtown area?
Is it easy to meet educated, single women in the 24-27 year range and where do they live? I grew up in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, went to college in Jacksonville, Florida (which is very southern) and have lived in Manhattan for a couple of years now. So I am use to all types of people and I am pretty much down the middle on most things, does anyone have an idea on how I would fit in in Denver?

Also I will have to go to the airport about twice a month for work, so I am assuming I will need a car correct?

Any help would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

636 posts, read 1,497,158 times
Hi Gugenheim! there is a light rail that goes to the 16th street mall (right by where you'll be working) so you dont necessarily need to live right downtown. Your age sounds perfect for Denver. There were some apartments along the river on Speer that were nice but affordable and full of twenty somethings when I lived there but its been a couple years. If the only time you need a car is twice a month why not just take a taxi? It would be cheaper. Economy parking at the airport is like $8 a day, plus the cost of insurance and everything else....

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 PM

856 posts, read 1,540,975 times
I think that you will fit in just fine in Denver. Obviously, Denver is much smaller than NYC but I still think that it has a tremendous amount to offer. The downtown area (LODO, Capitol Hill, Uptown) are fairly urban areas. LODO is right in the middle of downtown, and has plenty of restaurants, shopping and nightlife. It's also fairly expensive. Just west of LODO is the Riverfront Park area... this is also a great area- it's right on the South Platte River, very close to downtown.

Capitol Hill and Uptown seem to be a less expensive than Riverfront Park. They are older neighborhoods (specifically Capitol Hill) and both have a nice urban feel. I've been told that Capitol Hill has been a questionable area in previous years but that the area is getting better. I've personally never encountered any problems in Cap Hill- I think that it's a nice, mature area.

You should be able to manage without a car in Denver, but perhaps not as easily in New York. Public transporation here is so/so but it's getting much better. We have a new light rail system that travels from downtown to the southern and southeastern suburbs, and a bus system that covers most of the city. If you live near downtown, getting to and from downtown via bus should be no problem. If you opt not travel by bus, it's easy to call a taxi.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:07 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,211,726 times
Rent here compared to NYC is cheap. For $1000/month rent, you could probably get a smaller apartment downtown (although it may not include parking), but to the east, in Uptown, Capitol Hill, or Cheesman Park areas you could find a lot more. All these areas are fairly urban -- not really NYC urban, but urban by our standards, anyway.

I'd try to stay within a mile or so of downtown, however, if I were in your shoes. If you're going without a car it's nice to know that you could walk home if you miss the bus or are out late.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,236,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugenheim33 View Post
I'm a 25 year old single male who will be moving to Denver at the end of the summer from New York City, for the start of a new job. I will be working on California and 18th street. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to live?
I would prefer to spend no more than a $1,000 a month on rent, be able to go out on the weekend and not have to worry about driving (are there any areas that are similar to a New York neighborhood?) and not have to long of a commute. Essentially I would like to be in a very Urban enviroment, where there are lots of people my age.
I was looking on some apartment sites and saw these very trendy buildings that just seem over-priced and ridiculous. Are there any regular, relatively new apartment buildings that aren't overly stylish in and around the downtown area?
Is it easy to meet educated, single women in the 24-27 year range and where do they live? I grew up in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, went to college in Jacksonville, Florida (which is very southern) and have lived in Manhattan for a couple of years now. So I am use to all types of people and I am pretty much down the middle on most things, does anyone have an idea on how I would fit in in Denver?

Also I will have to go to the airport about twice a month for work, so I am assuming I will need a car correct?

Any help would be appreciated
hey.

there's really nothing like a NY neighborhood in or around denver. the closest might be baker or potter highlands, maybe cap hill, but still, nothing like anything in NYC.

you can get to the airport via the RTD (the bus) from downtown denver.

male:female ratio's nothing like NYC either. just the opposite, actually; lots of guys here, especially in your age range. not sure where the best place to find that range might be. any of those neighborhoods might work as far as that goes.

rent's cheap here. there is a TON available. if you're looking to rent, it's a good place; to buy, another story lately (and for the near future). $1000/month will find you something pretty nice pretty near downtown - maybe 950 sq ft and walkable with some amenities.

it seems like most people here are "pretty much down the middle" with things, borderline (or quite genuinely) indifferent many times, in my experience. it can often be a bit more about a beer, the broncos, skiing, sunshine, things like that with many people here. sounds like you'd probably fit right in if that works for you and you don't mind the relative concentration of testosterone here.

good luck and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver