U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 AM

82 posts, read 281,409 times

Advertisements

Just a thought, but maybe you can work on getting a finance job somewhere in the west that's a city bigger than Dubuque and not narrow yourself down to just one city. You would be getting a good experience over Dubuque. Then you can get more experience in your field and then as time goes on you'll have a better idea of exactly what you want. Denver is a bigger city, but I grew up in the Midwest (Kansas) and it has a very similar feel to me as say, Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ighuc View Post
Hi all,

As a typical twenty-something who has been stuck in the Midwest my entire life, I am thinking about finally living my dream and moving to Denver. The only problem is that I don't really know anyone there nor do I have a job lined up. For someone who has always dreamed about living near mountains and with the nice folk in Denver, would anyone happen to have a beginners guide to living in Colorado? I have visited Denver dozens of times and there isn't a doubt in my mind.

In a city like Denver, is it easy to meet people (I am 25)? Find a job (entry-level finance)? An apartment (1 BR 800ish)? Sorry for all these questions, I am beyond excited, city-data has actually inspired me despite all the negative nancies... =D

Thanks for reading!
[quote]

Ighuc, I'll just go ahead and make the assumption you've never been to Denver, and that your claim of visiting dozens of times was made merely to deflect subsequent responses urging you to visit first before moving. I think you're probably just looking for some validation that your idea is a good one. It is. It's great if it's what you want.

Here's my story: I made the decision to move to Denver about three weeks ago, then did tons of research online without asking anyone's opinion about anything whatsoever. The reason for this is there is no one more capable of making the best decision for my needs than myself. The fact that people are complaining about there being too many men in "Menver" or that the people are unfriendly is of no use to me. These claims are entirely subjective and limited in relevance to the perceptions of the people making them. (Perhaps there is a much larger population of single men, but anybody with an ounce of confidence and self-worth should never let this be a prevailing factor. There are still plenty of available people, despite the shortage. And since when is life not a competition? Seriously, would you do something like not send your resume to a company for fear that a bunch of people had already applied for the position you want? No! You go in, interview, and distinguish yourself as the best candidate. )

If your list of reasons to move to Denver compels you to take action, then you know it's the right decision--conversely, apathy will reveal the opposite result. Either way, the truth will come out. (The only wrong decision is inaction due to fear, which I consider the equivalent of being dead.)

Three weeks later I have a nice, little apartment lined up on the South side of City Park in Denver, where I am absolutely sure my dog will take no offense to the goose droppings everyone complains about. I ditched my furniture, my job, and my apartment here on the East Coast--everything but the car, the dog, and the necessary funds to live until finding a new job. I fully realize the economy/job market is far less than desirable right now, but I'm not interested in quitting life and losing my sense of adventure to accommodate. Hey, if the world is able to survive the aftermath of natural disasters, nuclear war, and the bubonic plague, I think I can do what it takes to get by in Denver for a while--and maybe even smile and meet some new people along the way.

I'll be in Denver July 1 and settled just in time to see the fireworks go off to celebrate this great country's independence. It's been a lifelong dream for me to move to Colorado, but if I don't like it ... I'll leave! Simple as that. Being single right now means you have the keys to the car of life, but it won't last forever--get in and drive, my friend. Get in and drive.

You'll know you're moving to Denver when you start taking action to do so, instead of asking people if--and how--you should. Best of luck finding your way to the mountaintop-literally.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM

360 posts, read 1,008,818 times
Rolling, welcome to the neighborhood and to Colorado! Thanks for the inspiring story. I have lots of stories about moving to Colorado, and guess what?? I'm never looking back and will never regret coming here!

Good luck in the city, it's a fabulous place to be..... :-)

Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 35,360 times
[quote=RollingFlats;14534156]
Quote:

Ighuc, I'll just go ahead and make the assumption you've never been to Denver, and that your claim of visiting dozens of times was made merely to deflect subsequent responses urging you to visit first before moving. I think you're probably just looking for some validation that your idea is a good one. It is. It's great if it's what you want.

Here's my story: I made the decision to move to Denver about three weeks ago, then did tons of research online without asking anyone's opinion about anything whatsoever. The reason for this is there is no one more capable of making the best decision for my needs than myself. The fact that people are complaining about there being too many men in "Menver" or that the people are unfriendly is of no use to me. These claims are entirely subjective and limited in relevance to the perceptions of the people making them. (Perhaps there is a much larger population of single men, but anybody with an ounce of confidence and self-worth should never let this be a prevailing factor. There are still plenty of available people, despite the shortage. And since when is life not a competition? Seriously, would you do something like not send your resume to a company for fear that a bunch of people had already applied for the position you want? No! You go in, interview, and distinguish yourself as the best candidate. )

If your list of reasons to move to Denver compels you to take action, then you know it's the right decision--conversely, apathy will reveal the opposite result. Either way, the truth will come out. (The only wrong decision is inaction due to fear, which I consider the equivalent of being dead.)

Three weeks later I have a nice, little apartment lined up on the South side of City Park in Denver, where I am absolutely sure my dog will take no offense to the goose droppings everyone complains about. I ditched my furniture, my job, and my apartment here on the East Coast--everything but the car, the dog, and the necessary funds to live until finding a new job. I fully realize the economy/job market is far less than desirable right now, but I'm not interested in quitting life and losing my sense of adventure to accommodate. Hey, if the world is able to survive the aftermath of natural disasters, nuclear war, and the bubonic plague, I think I can do what it takes to get by in Denver for a while--and maybe even smile and meet some new people along the way.

I'll be in Denver July 1 and settled just in time to see the fireworks go off to celebrate this great country's independence. It's been a lifelong dream for me to move to Colorado, but if I don't like it ... I'll leave! Simple as that. Being single right now means you have the keys to the car of life, but it won't last forever--get in and drive, my friend. Get in and drive.

You'll know you're moving to Denver when you start taking action to do so, instead of asking people if--and how--you should. Best of luck finding your way to the mountaintop-literally.
Well said and well done - best of luck to you but with your attitude - I have a feeling you will be just fine

Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,446 times
[quote=RollingFlats;14534156]
Quote:

Thank you very much for your response, I am glad to see I am not the only one with this mentality! I actually *have* visited Denver quite a few times in the past (admittedly dozens is certainly an overreaction, the exact total is 7), but never seriously considered that I could actually be there someday. Now that this is a possibility, it will be a dream fulfilled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or