Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,587 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be living in Denver as of July 1, and I'm just looking to get a little advice on what some good day trips would be this summer and even in the following months closer to Winter. I have a dog--he doesn't always have to go--and I like to hike, rollerblade, and try certain new dangerous things. (I don't have a bike, but will probably get one.) I've been skydving several times, but would like to try bungee-jumping in a really cool location where the equipment is safe and the instructors haven't smoked since at least the night before.

I also like anything strange or interesting in the sense of ghost towns, historic battle sites, caves, etc. I love to fish, so any suggestions as to where I can do so would be great, whether in the mountains or otherwise. (I don't have a boat and my license to walk on water was recently revoked, so it would have to be shore-friendly fishing for now.)

Any info on what neighboring cities/towns would be nice to see is also appreciated. I'm coming from the east coast, so my experience in the west has really been limited to California and Vegas. Anything in the region would probably be new to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing other such things as great brew pubs, parks, single women, single women in brew pubs and parks, wildlife, rafting, etc. Also, I'm a playwright, so anything to do with the arts might be of interest to me. - Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Once you land here - go in any direction until you come to something interesting, explore that. Then repeat in another direction. It would take years to explore all the state has to offer.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Well, there's plenty for you to choose from.

For fishing, you've got the warmer water lakes of the plains in and around Denver. There's a wide variety of these, large and small. You'll be fishing for bass, walleye, trout, crappie, wipers.

For cold water lake fishing, there's some mountain lakes within an hour or two drive from Denver. These are Dillon Reservoir, Lake Granby, and some other ones. Here you'll fish for trout, pike, lake trout, kokanee, which are mostly your colder-water fish.

For river and streams, if you fish the rivers in and around Denver, you'll be getting mostly catfish. If you go up in the mountains 1-2 hours from Denver, it'll be trout.

As for beer, you'll be happy to hear that Colorado is well known for microbreweries. There's a lot of excellent beer to be had here!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Consider the Gold Medal waters North of Silverthorn; there are fairly decent Brownies and Rainbow
in abundance. The Snake River running through Keystone is another reasonable angler's choice.

If you travel West on 285 there is Geneva Creek, Deer Creek(Mt. Evans Wilderness) even farther is the town of Fairplay; the area surrounding the town is known as South Park,"ya that South Park." There are plenty of streams, irrigation ditches with some nice Brookies. If you decide to hit the Snake or Blue River
in Summit County, finish the day off with a stop at the Damn Brewry. Just a few ideas..have fun..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver