U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 9,395 times

Advertisements

Aztec,

Thank you for your input. As someone who has lived in both really big cities, and tiny little towns (where we are now), I actually prefer to live on the outskirts of the larger areas, but close enough to go there to go shopping. We have heard good things about Elizabeth as well. Do you know anything about that area?

Not being from Texas, but having lived here 11 years now I can understand what you are saying about the pretentiousness of Dallas. I find that I get along really well with the more "countrified" Texans compared to the big city dwellers. They are more genuine and I will miss the accents!!! I will agree with Dallas traffic. There is nothing worse than the tiny little lanes on I-35 near Mideival Times, or I-20 for crazy drivers... Our closest city is Ennis, which is basically only known by the Polka and Bluebonnet Festivals and the Texas Motorplex for NHRA Drag racing.... and that is pretty small at only about 20,000. We'd like to find something around the same size, or at least feels the same size (not too overwhelming)... Again, our main wishes is proximity to good schools, crime rates and how long the commute is to hubby's new possible job.

Also, just an overall question about Colorado schools.. Are most kids bussed to and from school or are the parents responsible for getting them there?

Thanks for all your advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM

One other question. We have two large birds.. a severe mini macaw and an female eclectus that we raised from babies.... Will the altitude affect them? Does anyone know?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,168,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Californians and Texas are easy targets as the have the most folks in their states and the most that are moving here.
Sorry Azzztek. I quite disagree. Most of your new "Denverites" are from, of course, California, the midwest and the New England. I used to see scores and scores of Texans in the San Luis Valley and the Front Range in the 80's and 90's. Now when I visit it is a collage of Missouri, Illonois, Massachuettes, Conneticut and, of course New York.

Most Texan love Texas and have some strange connection with it unless they are the hordes that have moved there from the midwest and northeast.

When I lived in the Denver metro area in early 2000's, Cali's were despised along with Texans but I only knew two Texans in Denver and my buddy from Dallas was from South Dakota originally!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM

20,858 posts, read 39,100,793 times
Here are a few numbers for people coming to COLO from other states. I have no info on where in COLO they settled. Data is from the Colo Dept of Local Affairs (DOLA). Full spreadsheet is found here: Attachment 63876

In-migration TO the state of COLO, 2007-08:

CA - 21,920
TX - 16,009
AZ - 8,883
FL - 7,905
NM - 5,091
IL - 5,080
WA - 4,186
VA - 4,055
KS - 3,988
NY - 3,701
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,513,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1970 View Post
Aztec,

Thank you for your input. As someone who has lived in both really big cities, and tiny little towns (where we are now), I actually prefer to live on the outskirts of the larger areas, but close enough to go there to go shopping. We have heard good things about Elizabeth as well. Do you know anything about that area?

Not being from Texas, but having lived here 11 years now I can understand what you are saying about the pretentiousness of Dallas. I find that I get along really well with the more "countrified" Texans compared to the big city dwellers. They are more genuine and I will miss the accents!!! I will agree with Dallas traffic. There is nothing worse than the tiny little lanes on I-35 near Mideival Times, or I-20 for crazy drivers... Our closest city is Ennis, which is basically only known by the Polka and Bluebonnet Festivals and the Texas Motorplex for NHRA Drag racing.... and that is pretty small at only about 20,000. We'd like to find something around the same size, or at least feels the same size (not too overwhelming)... Again, our main wishes is proximity to good schools, crime rates and how long the commute is to hubby's new possible job.

Also, just an overall question about Colorado schools.. Are most kids bussed to and from school or are the parents responsible for getting them there?

Thanks for all your advice!!!
You are welcome! I don't know much about Elizabeth other then one of my co-workers lives there on a farm and loves it. She drives about 45 minutes one way to get to our Aurora office via Franktown/Parker. Shopping is close and great at Park Meadows mall as well as restaurants. Easy drive to Castle Rock and Colorado Springs for additional city get aways.

Elizabeth, CO - Google Maps

I do not know much about the schools there but you will find more "countrified" folks there then you will in Denver. Westerns are not as much the hugging type as southerners, I had to grow use to that during business visits to TX and other southern states. Plus, they will not tell you their entire life situation within the first 6 minutes of meeting you. But they are genuine and imo equally loveable.

The 7 and 8 lane highways in Houston are fantastic compared to the one or two lanes in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. I just don't understand 2 lanes there at all! Denver's core and along I-25 in Castle Rock and Colorado Springs are multi-laned highways. Denver's opens to 5 or 6 lanes in areas on the core and lightrail has done some incredible traffic reduction in the Denver Tech Center.

You may want to consider some of the winter days and how that will effect the communte for your husband to where he will work. We have fewer and fewer snow days that shut down all roads but we do have them. Busing depends on the school district, some do it, other don't and some charge for it, or will be charging for it.

Also, consider the local budgets of the city you want to live in. CO Springs is having issues due to voters consistently rejecting tax hikes to improve roads and maintain public ammenties. Roads are not plowed during snow storms (sans highways) and even the street lights are sporadically lit to save money. City buses are going to be shut down completely during the evenings and weekends. Denver has issues but nothing like that. If the city you select is having funding issues like the Springs, then you know the schools there are also feeling it. Just look into it before going for the 'small town' feel. The isolation may not pay off in the area of best economic conditions.

I know nothing about birds as I am a cat person.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,513,520 times
Thanks for the numbers Mike! I would give you rep points, but even after being gone for several months I need to spread them out!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Aztec.. Hubby is rushing me off the puter tonight so will post more tomorrow.. We are cat people too. That's part of our worries. At the moment we live in the country in our own place (6 yrs till it is paid off) so it is a huge move for us...having to give up on an almost paid for house. But hubby's unemployment won't last forever and we have to go where the money is. Animal wise, we have 3 dogs...(all trained indoor), 3 indoor cats (well, one just had 7 kittens today, but we already have homes for them when they are ready), a turtle, and the two big birds... Its a menagerie..and one we don't really want to have to give up....

Hubby is more keen on the move than I am.. Having moved over 25 times by the time I was 21 I'm not big on moving, and really wanted my kids to grow up in the same area, with the same friends... Texas has its issues, but its comfortable and has been home....... But..again, have to go where you can make enough money to eat!!!

Take care. Have a nice night!!! Thanks for the info on the different areas. Hopefully when we go up there to look around we will get someone to take us around who knows the ins and outs of the area.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 PM

360 posts, read 1,009,406 times
I grew up in Texas and you will LOVE Colorado!

BTW, if you've spent anytime in TX you know of Rudy's BBQ. Well, it just happens that a Rudy's has opened in CO Springs! I am so there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or