U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 9,391 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband is looking at a job in Denver near 76 and 270 on HOlly Street. Can anyone tell me how the commute is from that area to some of the suburbs? Trying to find a nice place to settle down (low crime, good schools, not tremendously crowded). We're from a tiny town in Texas and don't want major culture shock. Any advice would be appreciated. Our children range in age from 6 to 17. Looking for any info from anyone. Grocery prices compared to other areas, gas prices, utilities..rents... Anything would be helpful!!!

From everything I have read, Littleton sounds nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,310,762 times
Stay on the north end of town. Brighton, Northglen, Thornton, Henderson....

Commuting through the city will drive a person nuts!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks!!! Hubby should be flying out there next week to check out the job; make sure its what he wants... If he likes it the kids and I will come out to look around... Hard to uproot the only home/area my children have known.. Big move. I want to make sure its the right one.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 PM

260 posts, read 586,951 times
I actually just got back early this morning from an interview in Denver. My potential new boss drove me around the town Sat. morning. Drove me around DT, the Highlands, Wash Park, up through Stapleton all the around until we ended in SE Aurora. I was amazed how many families were out enjoying the parks (which are everywhere!) and it seems everyone rides a bike or runs. Weather was great compared to Texas. It's hot, but not the sticky, draining hot that we have here.

We were originally planning to move no earlier than August, but the company I interviewed with upped the ante a bit and want me to start July 1. That tightens things up a bit, but we've said to hell with it and we're going. Not having to endure another August in Texas will be an out of body experience. Good luck with ya'll's decision.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,670,324 times
There are newer parts of northeastern Commerce City (Reunion area) and Brighton that might be in line with what you're looking for, and be an easy commute to work. Parts of Aurora are nice and might be an acceptable commute, as well as Thornton/Northglenn/Westminster/Arvada/Wheat Ridge. If you really like Littleton you would probably like Arvada-- it is very similar, having its own small town downtown area and nice older, well maintained neighborhoods, and it would be a much easier commute than Littleton.

There are a few small farm towns NE of Brighton off I-76 up to Fort Morgan and in-between Brighton & Greeley on US-85. Realistically though, if you make the move you're not going to be able to recreate your current hometown, so might as well adapt to living in the metro area.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Thank you all for your input. Roverchris... I hear a lot of Texans are moving to Colorado and I've also been told that people who are from Colorado don't like Texans.. Not sure if it is one of those gossipy things people say... LOL.. Just thought I'd warn you. I am originally from Maine, but spent equal time in California. Texas has been my home for 11 years now and its grown on me. There are definite things I do not like (tornados, the heat and humidity)... I know there are no guarantees to wherever you move, but I just don't want to find what looks to be a great place to live and then find out its the worst part of town. I figure when we get a chance to go up there and look around I'll be my normal talkative self and ask some of the people in the parks and around town their opinions. All I know is I hate Dallas traffic, and I hear Denver traffic isn't fun either. So would much rather stay somewhere on the outskirts of Denver.... I'm open to any suggestions as you can see.. and will research all the towns that you guys have told me about.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM

Roverchris.. Hubby just came home and laughed and said we all ought to get together... a "Texan support group" so to speak!!! Good luck with your move!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,046,399 times
Okay, I have a question. Let's say my job is at 121/6th ave in Lakewood. I have an option of living (close to JC Penney for my wife) in

A) southwest plaza 121/bowles
or
B) I-25/Hampden ave area

Which drive would be better for me? since living in those areas would depend on which JC Penney's my wife will work at.

I'm not sure if this would be a better third option, but what if we would live close to Sloan Lake park and she work at the JC Penney in Stapleton (E 47th/270)?

What area is better to live in in general, concerning flooding/snow, amenities? We like restuarants, movies etc.?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,670,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Okay, I have a question. Let's say my job is at 121/6th ave in Lakewood. I have an option of living (close to JC Penney for my wife) in

A) southwest plaza 121/bowles
or
B) I-25/Hampden ave area

Which drive would be better for me? since living in those areas would depend on which JC Penney's my wife will work at.

I'm not sure if this would be a better third option, but what if we would live close to Sloan Lake park and she work at the JC Penney in Stapleton (E 47th/270)?

What area is better to live in in general, concerning flooding/snow, amenities? We like restuarants, movies etc.?
Option A-- Southwest Plaza, would undoubtedly be the easiest commute to Lakewood. Restaurants & movie theaters can be found just about anywhere in the metro area. However, Hampden/I-25 is more centrally located, including a light rail station with access to downtown. You might also want to look at the "Belmar" area at Wadsworth/Alameda.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,122 times
Californians and Texas are easy targets as the have the most folks in their states and the most that are moving here. Denver is a lot like Austin with it's vibrant downtown and many folks wanting to live as close to the core as possible. Nothing like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Fort Worth where the downtowns are ghost towns during the evenings and weekends. That being said, if Denver were placed in Texas, it would be something like the 26th largest city. Denver proper is small compared to Houston and Dallas but the Denver Metro is over 3 million. Most Texas are very similar to Denverites, especially those in Austin and Houston. However, we are nowhere near and are repulsed by the snotty Dallas types that pride themselves on their pretentiousness. I had to laugh that when I was in Dallas I even saw t-shirts that said, "Keep Dallas Pretentious!" Austin sold shirts that said "Keep Austin Weird" or there were a ton of bat shirts for the daily evening bat tornados, which I loved.

I agree with all the neighborhood recommendations but within some of those areas, crime is high, like parts of Thornton. Some of the suburbs are very large and have many different types of neighborhoods, like Aurora.

One thing that I love about Denver compared to the other TX cities is actually the traffic. The I-30 or 35 problems in Dallas and all the way to Fort Worth are significantly worse. The I-59, I-10 and 288 in Houston are great places to park and have a picnic during traffic hours. Sadly these cities fight lightrail but so badly need it. Our trains are running along our major highways and are heavily used.

I hope this helps you some and only speaking from being in Texas for business every quarter. Best wishes to you and your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or