Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

Hey-
I am a middle school teacher and will be teaching just south of Denver next fall. I want to move as soon as possible, but still am not sure about which neighborhood is best for me. The DU area seems like it would be fun and is very close to where I would be working. I have heard mixed things about Capitol Hill. Is it a very gay neighborhood? I am straight, but friendly towards everyone... just curious. Please let me know of your thoughts / recommendations. Also, I do like to go out and party on weekends, and want to meet people, so that is why I am leaning towards more urban areas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM

6,602 posts, read 9,155,980 times
Wash Park sounds like a good fit -- it's by the DU area, too, so you can sort of hang out in both areas.

I wouldn't say that Denver has one centralized "gayborhood" type of area. The gay-oriented businesses that I know of and most of the gay people I know tend to be spread out around the metro area. Cap Hill and Cheeseman Park probably have more gay residents than other neighborhoods, but either of those neighborhoods should be fine for you too.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,069,103 times
You will probably want to focus more on what your income will afford you and if you rent or buy verses if an area is gay or not. DU and Washington Park are incredibly hot areas to live and play in but few can afford them unless you rent. As with 'GayBorHoods' all over the country, they have been fixed up, sold for double what was paid, and now inhabited by all types. This is true from the Castro, SF to the Greenwhich Village NYC. Denver is no exception with Capitol Hill. Hence, the gay population is pretty much everywhere as more now have children and want to live where the neighborhoods and schools are more conducive to raising them as best as possible.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 PM

p.s. check out www.Westword.com for nightclubs. Most are in LoDo or along either Colfax or Broadway. SoCo is south of Colfax and if you Google it, you will find many place to 'party'.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 PM

299 posts, read 709,173 times
Rent first and settle in. You will have a hard time getting the feel of the neighborhoods without being here. Try a central location that is close to downtown, and explore the city for a few months. Denver doesn't take long to 'figure out'.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 PM

68 posts, read 126,632 times
Capitol Hill. You can't afford to and would not want to live in Wash Park, it is far from everything you will be doing at your age, whereas Capitol Hill, North Capitol Hill which some call Uptown, City Park and maybe what they now call West Wash Park along Broadway are where you will be spending all of your time.

Gay people are everywhere. They watch you while you sleep as they clean their teeth with paper-clips.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Actually, bogotrep, they use Water Picks or have them professionally cleaned. Paper-clips cleanings are for Hill Billies.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,157,770 times
DU is definitely worth looking into. There are affordable rentals, lots of college students as well as bars, restaurants, etc. on Evans and University. It has light rail access for trips downtown. It's also very close to Washington Park if you like running or just hanging out at the park. It's walkable to the Platt Park neighborhood as well which has a neighborhood strip on Pearl St. with restaurants and neighborhood shops.

Capitol Hill would be a nice city option. It's affordable, urban and full of young hipsters. The commute wouldn't' be too bad either.

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum and you will find photo tours of DU (under University) and Platt Park as well as other areas in and around Denver.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,330 times
Hey Trigmast,
Where did you decide on? I am moving to Denver to take a job in education too. Looking for places now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: