U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM

3,233 posts, read 2,407,522 times

Advertisements

I do believe that this happened because I've seen it before. I would just dismiss it as kids being stupid. They wouldn't have done that if they where in a predominantly white area.

There is no need to give them special energy because they where stupid. I do believe you did what was right by just ignoring them and driving off.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM

30,877 posts, read 19,154,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Wait, did I wake up in some kind of bizarro world where Lil' Jon is considered a positive role model?!??!
LOL....I heard he was having trouble selling his old condo in FL due to a persistant odor that permeated the unit.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 AM

2,358 posts, read 4,970,716 times
My freshman year in college I attended church in East St. Louis. Once, at a McDonalds eating breakfast before church I was approached by older black men in suits who told me "to stay the hell out of East St. Louis".

I also attacked and given a concussion by another group of young black (ironically in front of another mcdonalds) in St. Louis my sophomore year.

I was mad by both incidences but you get over it and focus on not being by yourself in rough areas.

Luke,

Your size would not have helped you in St. Louis as I was mugged by 4 armed black men. I actually saw the gun of one of my attackers as he hit me and the others watched laughing.

As I have said in other forums, it is not so much about race as it is about a culture of entitlement where parents do not teach their kids to take responsibility for themselves.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM

5,933 posts, read 6,487,836 times
I think it has more to do with McDonald's than skin color. Yesterday I went to the Mickey D's in Fairfield and was buzzed by a group of Yogic Flyers of different races.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,597,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
My freshman year in college I attended church in East St. Louis. Once, at a McDonalds eating breakfast before church I was approached by older black men in suits who told me "to stay the hell out of East St. Louis".

I also attacked and given a concussion by another group of young black (ironically in front of another mcdonalds) in St. Louis my sophomore year.

I was mad by both incidences but you get over it and focus on not being by yourself in rough areas.

Luke,

Your size would not have helped you in St. Louis as I was mugged by 4 armed black men. I actually saw the gun of one of my attackers as he hit me and the others watched laughing.

As I have said in other forums, it is not so much about race as it is about a culture of entitlement where parents do not teach their kids to take responsibility for themselves.
Agreed, but I was talking about Des Moines, not St. Louis. There is not much violence in Des Moines, regardless of all the "trash talk."

That being said, it's best just to ignore the situation the OP was in and learn to diagnose areas one should just stay out of.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,669,824 times
This has nothing to do with Des Moines. It's a cultural and youth thing, and could have happened anywhere.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,107,108 times
Just stay away from McDonald's, lol. If you do without it for long enough, it doesn't even taste good anymore. Hell, it doesn't even smell good anymore.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM

542 posts, read 367,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggycl View Post
I have written an article of how my family, which is white, was verbally attacked by a group of black youths.

Racism of all forms need to be stopped!
Be thankful that it was nothing more than a comment. It could have been worse:
McDonald's beating video: Transgender Woman Attacked By Two Women - Lenox and the Second City

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,555,633 times
If McDonalds could put up signs to let us know which ones are segregated, it would make life much easier. Have they selected the date in August yet for whites to stay away from the fair ?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

617 posts, read 507,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Just stay away from McDonald's, lol. If you do without it for long enough, it doesn't even taste good anymore. Hell, it doesn't even smell good anymore.
I wish that were true, but unfortunately it's not. I never eat there anymore except for the once or twice a year I get a McNugget craving. But man, when that craving hits...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines