Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times

Advertisements

I remember the alpine, had blue mountains in the background. Most of those rides were along the east section of the park. Does anyone remember Der Flinger ? As it spun you around the pods you sat in would swing out, made you kind of dizzy. Some others that I remember that are gone now are the haunted house, and the magic mirror maze thing that had all the mirrors that made you look thin or fat. The super screamer was my favorite of the old riverview rides.

I also remember another ride close to the haunted house and ski ball games, it was an enclosed carousel type of ride, not with horses but seats on the outter rim and it made alot of noise and bobbed up and down. Seems like it had card suit decorations like kings, queens, hearts, diamond, spades ect. It was close to where you exited the tornado. Also remember a ride for the little kids called "the teacups'

Ah yes, and the model T ride had a center rail that kept you car on the path. Going into a turn you could turn your wheel the opposite direction of the rail and jump over it, and drive solo thru the open field. You had a couple minutes to cruise before you had to ram it back on the track so you didn't get caught, lol

Last edited by mofford; 07-29-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Der Flinger is still there.
Super Screamer - you can see that Inverter uses its old queue house today.
Der Flitzer - this ride is still operating in Germany.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 AM

586 posts, read 2,184,774 times
Why the silly silo hasn't gone by the wayside or rebuilt is beyond me. They probably have to recarpet the walls of that thing every season, since it always seemed like the ride with the most people puking.

The log ride is up for replacement as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
I remember the haunted house. I went on it when I was really little and that scared me. I also remember the carousel that was nearby. I think both the log ride and the Raging River are due for upgrades. Those haven't changed since I was a little kid going there in the 80s. I am surprised the Silly Silo is still around as well. They would have to re-carpet those walls every year as it seemed that one made everyone puke.

It seems like that east side of the park is carnival rides now. Are the Rainbow and Falling Star still there? Those seemed to be on that side if I remember correctly. Are the teacups gone now?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
I'm *almost* positive Falling Star is still there, but who knows for how much longer. That type of ride has been disappearing from parks all over The country recently. Rainbow was actually replaced by Falling Star, so that's been gone for years. The teacups are still there.
Wikipedia has a pretty extensive list, if you're interested.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
I didn't realize the Falling Star had replaced the Rainbow. I remember the Falling Star opening when we still lived in Iowa and we moved in 1991.

Does anyone know when those mechanical animals (I think they were bears) at the entrance went away? I always loved them when I was a kid.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,976 times
Wasnt there a water park or feature at adventureland in the 70s or 80s called otter mountain? Or something otter? I thought it was a small water park next door to adventure land. I cant find any info on it.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,448 times
Otter Mountain was down the road from Adventureland, yes. It was the first waterpark I'd ever been too, 1983 or so. I remember the slides were pretty much cut into the side of the hill, as opposed to being free standing structures you see now. It supposedly was shut down because of a lawsuit when someone got hurt or killed there. It wasn't open very long, maybe 3 years tops.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Does anyone remember Der Flinger ? As it spun you around the pods you sat in would swing out, made you kind of dizzy.
Der Flinger was one of my favorites. As somebody else mentioned, it is still operational at Adventureland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I also remember another ride close to the haunted house and ski ball games, it was an enclosed carousel type of ride, not with horses but seats on the outter rim and it made alot of noise and bobbed up and down. Seems like it had card suit decorations like kings, queens, hearts, diamond, spades ect.
Are you referring to the Lady Luck, which was a Chance Trabant painted up like a roulette wheel?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
I spend anywhere from 1-3 days a week at Adventureland every summer (the waterpark mainly, was just there today) so I am extremely familiar with the place. Also made many trips there as a young child, so I can remember what rides used to be where. I truly love the place. Especially that wave pool I'll miss it when I finally move.

If anyone is curious about any rides there now, I can probably tell you where they are. Hell, give me a blank map of the park and I could easily fill it in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines