Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 15,139 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered why the DMI Metro includes Guthrie County, when its so far away and sparsely populated, as opposed to Story County which is a close drive from Ankeny and it's more populated? It's bugged me for the longest time, I'll apprectiate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM

7 posts, read 15,139 times
Or at least add Jasper County for that matter, at least it borders Polk and is closer.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoinesGuy View Post
I have always wondered why the DMI Metro includes Guthrie County, when its so far away and sparsely populated, as opposed to Story County which is a close drive from Ankeny and it's more populated? It's bugged me for the longest time, I'll apprectiate the feedback.
IMO, Des Moines metro counties are Polk and Dallas.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
A lot of people commute from Jasper and Warren.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,602 times
The term metropolitan area (i.e...metro) is a defined term and is defined by certain perimeters. The number of people who commute into the area to work is one of the factors.

Des Moines metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That isn't the best link, but I'm short on time, but I'm sure people can google for a better resource. Bottomline -- this isn't an opinion issue because a metro is a defined term and determined by statistics.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,909 times
In terms of feeling like you actually have stuff around you...Polk and Dallas. The City of Des Moines itself does slightly "poke" into Warren County, so it makes sense that Warren County is included.

Last edited by tollfree; 02-18-2012 at 02:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Norwalk, Bloomfield Township and maybe Carlisle definitely fit the bill of being in the Des Moines area for Warren County. Indianola, not quite as much.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM

30 posts, read 72,663 times
As far as Madison Co., I believe West Des Moines city limits wander into NE Madison Co. Expansion out there will probably continue when the new exit is constructed along I-80.... Alice Rd. I think? Can't remember right off top.

Madison, Dallas, Warren and Polk Counties all meet at Dale Maffit Reservoir. This is just west of the Hwy 5 bypass and I-35 intersection.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 15,415 times
"Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas (metro and micro areas) are geographic entities defined by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for use by Federal statistical agencies in collecting, tabulating, and publishing Federal statistics. The term "Core Based Statistical Area" (CBSA) is a collective term for both metro and micro areas. A metro area contains a core urban area of 50,000 or more population, and a micro area contains an urban core of at least 10,000 (but less than 50,000) population. Each metro or micro area consists of one or more counties and includes the counties containing the core urban area, as well as any adjacent counties that have a high degree of social and economic integration (as measured by commuting to work) with the urban core."

I'm guessing enough peole drive from Guthrie to Waukee/WDM as a % of pop that it counts. Whereas Story/Jasper have enough of their own employment base that not as high a % drive to DM for work. I agree that they should (and likely will) be added in the future. Jasper and Marion are sometimes included for workshep studies.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Norwalk, Bloomfield Township and maybe Carlisle definitely fit the bill of being in the Des Moines area for Warren County. Indianola, not quite as much.
Did you mean Greenfield Township?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines