Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times

Advertisements

The Downtown Farmer's Market is awesome! Those of us that attend almost every Saturday during the season know this. Nice to see others recognize it too:

America's Best Farmers' Markets

These days, farmers' markets offer more than just nature's finest and freshest produce. The nine markets featured here have devoted local fans—from near and far—making them a destination in their own right.

Read more: America's Best Farmers' Markets - Farmers' Markets Guide - Country Living [/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
I might go once a year, if that. It's SOOOO crowded!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Interesting that Minneapolis isn't on that list.
Makes me want Weisswurst and a pretzel.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I might go once a year, if that. It's SOOOO crowded!
Not if you're gone before 9:00 or so. Rookie mistake IMO going later...but some people like the additional activity that occurs later (more live music, area restaurants open for b-fast, etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Interesting that Minneapolis isn't on that list.
Makes me want Weisswurst and a pretzel.
Which one? We went to a Saturday Farmer’s Mkt last year downtown and it was great….but very modest in size in comparison to Des Moines’ . This one occurs in the Mill District. I know there are others (I think the big one occurs on Nicollet Mall area?) but I have never attended. I think the big challenge for Minneapolis is the short growing season. It has to limit in both selection and length of the farmer’s mkt season.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Not if you're gone before 9:00 or so. Rookie mistake IMO going later...but some people like the additional activity that occurs later (more live music, area restaurants open for b-fast, etc.
Meh, I can't be bothered to go downtown and find a parking spot 400 blocks away to walk around in massive crowds to buy produce or an overpriced breakfast burrito. Too many strollers and slow people.

In the 10 years I've lived in DM I've gone maybe 6 times. Most of them were in the first couple of years.

The best farmer's market I've been to was in Madison WI.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Meh, I can't be bothered to go downtown and find a parking spot 400 blocks away to walk around in massive crowds to buy produce or an overpriced breakfast burrito. Too many strollers and slow people.

In the 10 years I've lived in DM I've gone maybe 6 times. Most of them were in the first couple of years.

lol I agree. They do have some good stuff there but the hysteria surrounding it gets overbearing.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
The Southridge Farmer's Market (Monday nights in the parking lot) is kind of cool if you're just looking to buy produce because you can see it all and make your transactions in about 15 minutes and park 50 feet away.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:

At the end of the day, a third party source has named our Downtown Farmer's Mkt one of the best in the nation. I'm not sure what motivation one would have to respond to this nice acknowledgment and start down- playing it or criticizing it. In addition, all the critical comments you have listed, all have answers/solutions IF one is truly interested in enjoying the market. I'll be happy to address and provide hints and solutions to each if you're truly interested in getting the best experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: