U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2006, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,054 times
Default Moving to Des Moines area

My husband just accepted a job in Des Moines. We will be moving from WA state. (He is from IA - I'm from WI, so we know what we're getting into).
Anyway, I'm trying to research school districts and neighborhoods. From what
I've read, the Dallas Center/Grimes district sounds what we're looking for. (small). Can anyone give me any first hand information?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,061 times
Default DC/Grimes Schools

My kids went to DM schools and loved every minute of it, but I've heard good things about DC/Grimes. Here is a great site:

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/cities/IA/#D_anchor

Old 11-12-2006, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,446 times
Johnston's schools are excellent.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 PM

5,386 posts, read 5,097,936 times
If you don't mind a short drive to DM, the Ballard school district serving south Story county is very good; the three primary communities of Huxley, Slater, and Cambridge are small, but offer the essential needs. Plus housing prices will be significantly lower for what you get than metro DM.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM

27 posts, read 102,128 times
Default Urbandale Schools

Honestly I think Urbandale Schools are probably the best around the Des Moines area. I had two children graduate from there and they are wonderful. They are ranked 8th in the state. Also the graduating class stays around 250 to 300. The problem with Johnston and Ankeny is that they keep grown and their schools are getting so overcrowded. Urbandale is like it's own little town but close to everything. I would really look at that area.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 PM

6 posts, read 13,409 times
Default I am a teacher in Adel Ia.

Hey there....
Dallas Center Grimes is definetly a nice district. Very small. My question I suppose would be... is it going to be too small. I grew up in Adel and then moved to NYC for school. 6 years out there and I am back here teaching special needs children. I consider Adel to be bigger than Dallas Center and Grimes and it is way too small for me. To raise kids here though it is nice... very conservative if that is what you are looking for. No diversity though. That is the one thing that really gets to me here. Adel only has maybe 5 different races in the student body of the entire High School. Which tells you the amount of diversity adel has as far as the population here. I dont know if I support the old school view here sometimes. Good systems for education however. Strict rules and I would have to say very little drug problems in the schools out here compared to the cities. Hope this helps a little... let me know if you have specifics....

Old 02-02-2007, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 20,448 times
Waukee and Grimes are both good! My niece attends Waukee and does well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines