Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times

Advertisements

For instance...just look at the fascination with the state fair. Per capita, far more Iowans attend the Iowa state fair than any other state's residents attend their respective state fair. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are but I am sure that statistic hasn't changed. It's actually considered surprising if you don't go. If you mention you have no interest in going, people will get mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
It seems I run into people from Iowa all over the country. The last time I was in Vegas I happened to meet a guy from Des Moines at the Welcome to Las Vegas sign. Not everyone stays in the state, in fact I hear lots of reports about how people can't wait to leave. I also hear lots of people say they refuse to live in the suburbs where every house is the same. I did it for 2 years; its not for me. But then again neither is having babies!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It seems I run into people from Iowa all over the country. The last time I was in Vegas I happened to meet a guy from Des Moines at the Welcome to Las Vegas sign. Not everyone stays in the state, in fact I hear lots of reports about how people can't wait to leave. I also hear lots of people say they refuse to live in the suburbs where every house is the same. I did it for 2 years; its not for me. But then again neither is having babies!
It seems that most people who do leave Iowa never go back. I've only known one person who did. The relatives still haven't forgiven us for leaving. They almost never come out to vist.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
For instance...just look at the fascination with the state fair. Per capita, far more Iowans attend the Iowa state fair than any other state's residents attend their respective state fair. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are but I am sure that statistic hasn't changed. It's actually considered surprising if you don't go. If you mention you have no interest in going, people will get mad.
I only went to the fair one year out of the 21 I lived in the state, and I don't remember anybody ever being surprised about it, much less angry.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:04 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
^I haven't been to the fair for several years, and nobody seems to care. The Minnesota fair is better anyway. But gee, I wonder if the Iowa fair is well-attended because THERE'S AN ENTIRE FREAKING BROADWAY MUSICAL ABOUT IT and it's considered by everyone to be the quintessential US state fair? God, RonnieJonez truly has no sense of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle
It seems that most people who do leave Iowa never go back. I've only known one person who did. The relatives still haven't forgiven us for leaving. They almost never come out to vist.
Exactly how are you qualified to say that? You are seriously out of your depth making assumptions about a state of three million people based on one family. Plenty of people come back to Iowa, and plenty of others move there of their own accord, which is why cities like Des Moines and Iowa City (and Omaha) are booming. Your experience is incredibly limited, AND you don't even have hard data on your side.
Honestly, what on earth makes you think everyone in the entire state is the same as your one family? I have family in South Dakota who never visit and whom I know will never leave and who are consistently pissed that we don't still live there, but I certainly don't believe everyone in South Dakota is the same way. Come on!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
I only went to the fair one year out of the 21 I lived in the state, and I don't remember anybody ever being surprised about it, much less angry.
Ditto ... except I've lived here 18 years and been to fair 3 times.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
^I haven't been to the fair for several years, and nobody seems to care. The Minnesota fair is better anyway. But gee, I wonder if the Iowa fair is well-attended because THERE'S AN ENTIRE FREAKING BROADWAY MUSICAL ABOUT IT and it's considered by everyone to be the quintessential US state fair? God, RonnieJonez truly has no sense of reality.

Exactly how are you qualified to say that? You are seriously out of your depth making assumptions about a state of three million people based on one family. Plenty of people come back to Iowa, and plenty of others move there of their own accord, which is why cities like Des Moines and Iowa City (and Omaha) are booming. Your experience is incredibly limited, AND you don't even have hard data on your side.
Honestly, what on earth makes you think everyone in the entire state is the same as your one family? I have family in South Dakota who never visit and whom I know will never leave and who are consistently pissed that we don't still live there, but I certainly don't believe everyone in South Dakota is the same way. Come on!
It's my observation with people I know. GET OVER IT!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It's my observation with people I know. GET OVER IT!
It's my observation, too. When a person is speaking from personal experience they don't need scientific data to back it up.

I like Iowa, I like Des Moines, but I am leaving and if I am not happy where I move to, I will move someplace else...not back to Iowa.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You seem to like to paint with a pretty broad brush based on very limited experience with Iowans (outside your family).

Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
You seem to like to paint with a pretty broad brush based on very limited experience with Iowans (outside your family).
This is not just referring to my family. If these posts are so offensive then have the moderator delete them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines