Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There is an IMAX theater in Des Moines. FYI.
Thanks. I had a little mini-heart attack there thinking maybe it had closed when I read the other post. I've only been to one movie there (Spiderman 3) and have no idea if I'll ever go to another, but it's nice to know it's there "just in case."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There is an IMAX theater in Des Moines. FYI.
I understand there is an IMAX screen at the Science Center that occasionally shows regular movies. However, in many other cities, there will be your standard suburban 20+ screen movie theater that has one dedicated IMAX theater always showing regular movies.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
I understand there is an IMAX screen at the Science Center that occasionally shows regular movies. However, in many other cities, there will be your standard suburban 20+ screen movie theater that has one dedicated IMAX theater always showing regular movies.

I went to an IMAX movie once. Worst. Headache. Ever.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Movie theaters are not important to me. For the cost of a movie, something to eat and something to drink I'll have more fun playing Blackjack for a couple of hours.

And I don't have to listen to a bunch of morons on their cell phones or have some ill-mannered snot-nosed spoiled brat spend his time kicking the back of my seat.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
That's untrue. Iowa is its own brand of fanatical, not far off religious cults (possibly surpassing because all faiths are united in their fanaticism). I've lived in several states. In the late 90's the governor of Minnesota before Ventura (Carlson) said Des Moines was "boring". So the State of Iowa legislature responds demanding he either publically apologize or step down as governor.

If you were from Iowa - you also got an automatic discount at the Mall of America.

That just wouldn't happen with most places, regardless of who called who boring.

Look at the Bloom article, there's no way the level of backlash including death threats on Bloom would happen to the extent they did in Iowa.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
IMAX screens at multiplex theaters are typically 3K-4K resolution. True IMAX theaters like the one at the Science Center run 18K. Huge difference.

And if by "regular" movies you mean Hollywood films as opposed to documentaries, I'm pretty sure they have at least one running at the Science Center all the time. When we saw Spiderman 3 they were also running Happy Feet at different times. Currently they're running Dark Knight.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
The screen at Merle Hay only shows regular movies and it's bigger (and waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper) than a lot of IMAX screens.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Yes, Des Moines is in danger. You can tell just by looking at a picture of the City Council.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
You are the one who is clueless, or ignorant - take your pick. See, if you had bothered to look outside Des Moines, as I have, you would see that other places are not taking this recession as badly as Des Moines is. The areas I mentioned were propped up by the housing boom in 03-07. Now that the boom is over, those places have no air left in their sails and are starting to decay. That is not the case in established places like the Twin Cities, for example.
I"m going to jump in here.

Again...I think you keep erring on the side of concentrating on a few areas that may have declined and ignored the rest of the good things going on. Also, I'm not sure where you come up with the conclusion that Des Moines was hit so hard by the recession? Comparitively speaking (when you "look outside of Des Moines" as you suggest the other poster do) , we are doing quite well in many national rankings:

Des Moines is the fourth best city for business and careers (June 27, Forbes)
Des Moines is #2 for strongest local economy (May 31, POLICOM)
Des Moines #2 City for Jobs (February, Forbes)
U.S. News Says Des Moines is Richest Metro Area (June 2, U.S. News & World Report)
Greater Des Moines ranks #2 in the Midwest and #16 nationwide for small business and population growth. (April 14, The Business Journals)
Iowa ranks 6th in the top ten for Top States for Business in 2010 (CNBC Special Report)
Des Moines is No. 2 on the economic performance list (June, Brookings Institution)

Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
My personal opinion...some may not like it. Yet, worth thinking about.

Des Moines has the benefit of being the capitol city in a fanatical state. When I say fanatical, although Iowa has a better standard of living than many other states (there's also not the same level of poverty you'd find in Detroit for example) - it has several cult-like elements about it and this is magnified in Des Moines. Therefore, small-towners when they move to a city (especially college grads from the state or "Regents" schools as they are called in Iowa) will almost always move to the Des Moines metro. People from small towns (every corner of the state) who move away for a set time, move back to Iowa, and it's usually Des Moines. People from Des Moines metro originally rarely ever leave more than 3 or 4 years and it's usually Colorado at the farthest. Anyone from Des Moines who moves away to NYC or LA (but returns) is routinely profiled by local media to for some plug-in about how some Des Moines teahouse now offers a special flavor of black tea that was only found in NYC (they missed it so much when they were gone), and they are amazed how much Des Moines has changed the past 10 years, then something about Des Moines being smaller but just as trendy as NYC or LA, and this new brand-new fanaticism is born & reinforced in the process. Des Moines is a very fine community for it's size, there is no doubt about that - but I do think among locals there is a refusal to admit it can be a bit "tribal".

Essentially, the main draw of Des Moines is small-town people thinking they are in a big city (and truly believing it which is evident with their ultra-smug attitudes about it). You'll also meet people from northern Iowa closer to Minneapolis, eastern Iowa closer to Chicago, southwest Iowa closer to Kansas City, southeast Iowa closer to St. Louis...more of these people will choose Des Moines by default given it's in Iowa, and on a subconscious level - I don't think there is any place in the world where that may matter more. I'm convinced they could triple the already-high-as-is state income tax and it would make no difference on people leaving the state or moving to Des Moines from smaller towns and cities.

Almost everywhere else, it probably would have an effect. This statewide fanaticism is an overlooked reason the economy stays better than most places. You also have much lower numbers of minorities in Iowa overall. The Hispanic population is the only reason the state has grown. Almost all the growth in the larger cities by non-Hispanics is due to in-state migration, or return to Iowa after leaving to Colorado after college.
Ronnie, it is time to do a little soul searching, my friend.

How to Stop Making False Assumptions | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines