Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Davenport has an East Village too. Those cities don't think theirs is basically as cool as New York's though, on a smaller scale. Des Moines is in this special category of city (along with Omaha and Indianapolis) where regular cities pretend they are internationally-known. Narnian cities.
Again...how is this comment helpful..in any CONSTRUCTIVE way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Again...how is this comment helpful..in any CONSTRUCTIVE way?
And (sorry to keep clogging this thread) who said people in Des Moines think their city is as cool as New York (besides RonnieJonez)? That is just ridiculous and not true.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times
^^Wish I could rep you for that, capitalcityguy, but it wants me to "spread the love."

Indianapolis is internationally known. Indy 500. Come on.

Okay, everybody start ignoring RonnieJonez in 3... 2... 1... GO!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,922 times
hmm i agree

Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
^^Wish I could rep you for that, capitalcityguy, but it wants me to "spread the love."

Indianapolis is internationally known. Indy 500. Come on.

Okay, everybody start ignoring RonnieJonez in 3... 2... 1... GO!
I know! CD really wants us to be promiscuous (sp?)

I'm ready to ignore.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
First...doesn't seem like DSM was too high on the OP's "move to list".

It's also relevant to someone moving from an internationally-known city on a coast, to move to a smaller city in the midwest, but then arrive there and realize that the smaller, regular city in the midwest, thinks of itself as being more liberal, trendy, progressive, etc. than the city on the coast (which actually is these things).

There's no reason that is not relevant. It's very relevant. Also, the weather is not the only reason someone may not like Des Moines. Apparently, the whole world should aspire to live in Des Moines, lol.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM

252 posts, read 591,062 times
My impression was always that most people in Des Moines had a pretty realistic idea of what the city is and what it isn't. They look at the East Village as a nice place to occasionally grab lunch, or paruse during some festival or on a trip to the State Government Complex. They know that Des Moines is a small-potatoes place with charm and quality living.

That being said, it seems like there is a narrow group of people (one might refer to them as "yuppies" or "hipsters") who choose to spend every free waking moment in places like the East Village. Those are the individuals who seem to express the strange dichotomy of believing the East Village is bears resemblance to NYC, while at the same time judging their self-worth by the amount of connections they have to NYC.

Unfortunately, it seems like some people find themselves immersed in this subculture, and they think that the whole city views itself the way the hipsters do. Others aren't exposed to hipster culture, and find it unbelievable that anyone could operate in that mindset (a logical assumption, considering how ridiculous it is).

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
I'd agree with the first part of what you said. Most do have a realistic idea and don't even really care, they are more concerned with having picnics in Waukee, backyard volleyball, and beer during college football season. It's not just the hipsters though (there aren't even that many), it's the local media (Juice, Cityview, etc) combined with all these civic organizations that have this viewpoint, and the local art/wine crowd. They are straight up CATTY. There is also pressure in some of the larger companies once you reach middle-management to join some civic organization or committee. This can be said for anywhere, but having lived in several places, it's tough to encounter it to the level you do in Des Moines.

Not everyone wants to run for mayor either, they need to understand that. Too much civic fanaticism, it starts to get cult-like, and the masses simply refuse to see what's right in front of them. While I think Des Moines is a nice town, and I've said that several times, I also feel like I have experience living in a cult.

Last edited by tollfree; 08-30-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 AM

252 posts, read 591,062 times
Juice, Cityview . . . AKA DSM Hipster Tribune.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
Juice, Cityview . . . AKA DSM Hipster Tribune.
I wouldn't lump those 2 papers together. Juice is light hearted and fun and a great place to find out what is going on for the week like live music, etc. They post pics of people out about town and have some silly stuff in there, too. They review bars and restaurants, etc. too. I like to read Juice; it's upbeat and more frivilous.

Cityview is more serious, IMO. A lot of political rantings, bashing the city and state government, etc. (Like the whole Paid For By The Taxpayers section) It's not as fun to read, IMO.

I don't really consider either to be all the "hipster."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines