Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times

Advertisements

They both try to make DSM look like hipster central - more than it is. Big cities have hipsters, and they imply liberalism, which is their agenda. Cityview once wrote some article on "Drag Queen Bingo" and presented it like this was only found in DSM, lol. Both are convinced DSM is easily the most liberal city on the planet.

Both of them cater heavily to the "DSM is big city" crowd in some way or another. They both have a sassy way of reviewing restaurants as well - especially the juice writer (seems to be obsessed with cheese). Usually something like "the greek feta cheese just didn't quite compliment the garlic cilantro spread as well as my senses had expected".

Yet, if it's a Formaro-owned place, it's always pure pandering.

Also, Juice gets a little carried away with the "Young Professional" tagline. Young Professionals...do the macarena!

I can honestly see that being a front-page Juice story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 27,840 times
Let's see - from a So Cal perspective you'll see incredibly less crime, waaay less expensive housing, food, utilities and insurance, commute times that will catch you pinching yourself so much you may have to visit one of the many excellent health care providers, green grass, lots of tech jobs, nice down to earth people, some of the best schools in the country, restrained government spending and taxation, English as primary language, no need to reload when changing lanes or pulling into your driveway, Tornado warnings let you know before they arrive (unlike those damn rude earthquakes), no fires (but sometimes flooding in low areas), most parks and lakes are free.....umm...but otherwise, it's alot like California (minus the 6 months of 100 degree summer).

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
Anyone can move to Temecula, CA for example, and avoid the big cities in CA, but still have everything you need, and life similar to in Iowa, except still in CA.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrizzle View Post
Let's see - from a So Cal perspective you'll see incredibly less crime, waaay less expensive housing, food, utilities and insurance, commute times that will catch you pinching yourself so much you may have to visit one of the many excellent health care providers, green grass, lots of tech jobs, nice down to earth people, some of the best schools in the country, restrained government spending and taxation, English as primary language, no need to reload when changing lanes or pulling into your driveway, Tornado warnings let you know before they arrive (unlike those damn rude earthquakes), no fires (but sometimes flooding in low areas), most parks and lakes are free.....umm...but otherwise, it's alot like California (minus the 6 months of 100 degree summer).
If Iowa had that 6 months of 100 degree summer, I might consider staying!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 AM

17 posts, read 27,840 times
ElleTea - you gotta love our great big country - and since there are different strokes for different folks, God knows that Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Arizona and yes - California offer up plenty of hot weather. I just know you can only take off some much clothes legally (well except for wacky SFO....shudder), but otherwise, there is a place for everyone. I miss the winters, change of seasons, chilly nights after being away for so long.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrizzle View Post
ElleTea - you gotta love our great big country - and since there are different strokes for different folks, God knows that Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Arizona and yes - California offer up plenty of hot weather. I just know you can only take off some much clothes legally (well except for wacky SFO....shudder), but otherwise, there is a place for everyone. I miss the winters, change of seasons, chilly nights after being away for so long.
Yep, and that is why I am moving south! Preferably the desert SW.

I don't buy the argument that when it is hot you can only take off so much but when it is cold you can add more clothes. Who the hell wants to be dressed in bulky layers? I'd much rather be in shorts and a tank and flip flops (or a swim suit) than jeans, socks, boots, sweater, heavy coat, hat, gloves, scarf. I loved this summer; I am very comfortable in 100+ temps. I LOVE that!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM

219 posts, read 455,227 times
I love Des Moines but I wouldn't say it was awesome or bad.. No city can be categorized as good or bad because some cities have things that other's do not.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yep, and that is why I am moving south! Preferably the desert SW.

I don't buy the argument that when it is hot you can only take off so much but when it is cold you can add more clothes. Who the hell wants to be dressed in bulky layers? I'd much rather be in shorts and a tank and flip flops (or a swim suit) than jeans, socks, boots, sweater, heavy coat, hat, gloves, scarf. I loved this summer; I am very comfortable in 100+ temps. I LOVE that!
That's because you are a freak.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
That's because you are a freak.
Shut up, you!

And in case you didn't know, the NE part of Des Moines is full of cult-like meth heads. But I guess you have BTDT because you have driven on I80.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Shut up, you!

And in case you didn't know, the NE part of Des Moines is full of cult-like meth heads. But I guess you have BTDT because you have driven on I80.
Yes, but the awesomeness of the capitol building makes up for the meth heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines