U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,508 times

Advertisements

My Husbands job is relocating to Des Moines in the next few months. We have one 9 yr old and would like to know what the best place to live with the best schools? Looking to rent for the 1st yr, so rental budget about $1200 a month.
Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,308,574 times
I'm guessing you're not getting any responses as you're kind of vague on your requirements. i.e...people aren't sure where to start. A few suggestions.

* Use the "Search this forum" feature for "schools" and that will provide you several discusions on area schools. From there, maybe you can ask some more specific questions based on what has been discussed in the past (or ask for clarification).

* since most schools in the metor are good, it is hard to narrow down the "best place to live" without knowing more of what other amenities you're wanting/needing. Examples: do you have a preferance of urban vs suburbia? Do you want to be on bus routes? Do you want a short commute to work (ie...bus, bike, walk, doesn't matter)? Do you like to be close to shopping?

* are you looking to rent a house or an apt?

The more information you provide, the more responses you're likely to receive here.

Welcome to Des Moines!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 7,835,096 times
I didn't reply because I don't know anything about schools here.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Default Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Copeland View Post
My Husbands job is relocating to Des Moines in the next few months. We have one 9 yr old and would like to know what the best place to live with the best schools? Looking to rent for the 1st yr, so rental budget about $1200 a month.
Thanks for any input
I have two children in Johnston schools and have first hand knowledge of several other school districts...I recommend Johnston. Crescent Chase apartments are nice and very near grocery and schools. All students are bused in Johnston as well.

Good luck!!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,168 times
I would be interested in hearing more about Johnston schools. Also what is your take on Waukee schools? I know according to test scores they are the highest scoring district in the des moines area over the last 5 years, but I read poor reviews regarding bullying and behavior by kids. Thoughts? What are your thoughts on other schools you have first hand knowledge about? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,308,574 times
My wife's best friend went to Johnston schools growing up and now they open enroll their 4 kids to Johnston schools (they live in Urbandale). We live in the Johnson school district and that is where our daughter goes.

We are all very pleased. It is a great school system.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
I actually graduated from Urbandale but was not pleased when I visited the schools and spoke with parents with children currently enrolled there. I agree that Waukee is an excellent school system overall but the quality fluctuates from school to school and I do know of some issues with bullying...it is an expensive area and financial status can be an issue.
Simply put, Johnston is a small town with a great amount of parent involvement in the schools. Our taxes are steep but it keeps the town and schools clean, safe and competitive.
I would recommend that you contact the districts you are interested in and go on tours of the schools as well as looking at stats.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,987,234 times
Any majority-white suburban school is usually good, anywhere.

Schools in Iowa are generally better than most places with real "urban problems" so to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines