Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times

Advertisements

Woke up a half hour later today because the power went out, no alarm clock. They finally got it back on at 2 this afternoon. Wall furnaces kept my house nice and toasty as they don't need any electric. Went out and shoveled the driveway and cleaned off the cars, while I whistled a few bars of "Frosty the Snow Man". Patio screen door was iced shut, had to get the ladder out, climbed up over the deck rail (no stairs) with shovel and scraper, just got that done.

No snow plow yet on my street, thinking about putting chains on my truck so I can eat at Burger King tonight.

Sure looks like Christmas out there, we had 11 inches at the airport......I"m Happy !

Last edited by mofford; 12-20-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Lost power about 2 AM, got it back about 3, then lost it again. Just came back on about an hour ago. Got down to about 58 in the house which is COLD!!! A friend in WDM invited me and the animals to come stay with her and I was just about to pack when the power came back.

Took me most of the day to shovel the driveway and sidewalks. The snow is so heavy I had to take a break every 15 minutes or so. I took my breaks in my running car, charging my cell phone.

I'm not happy, and I wasnt whistling anything while I was out there. What I WAS saying can't be typed here. I hope the ugly white crap melts ASAP. I just hate the way it looks out there.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Lost power about 2 AM, got it back about 3, then lost it again. Just came back on about an hour ago. Got down to about 58 in the house which is COLD!!! A friend in WDM invited me and the animals to come stay with her and I was just about to pack when the power came back.

Took me most of the day to shovel the driveway and sidewalks. The snow is so heavy I had to take a break every 15 minutes or so. I took my breaks in my running car, charging my cell phone.

I'm not happy, and I wasnt whistling anything while I was out there. What I WAS saying can't be typed here. I hope the ugly white crap melts ASAP. I just hate the way it looks out there.

You would never have survived back when I was a kid. We were so poor we didn't even have arms and legs. We had to WORK for the money to buy our own arms and legs. We started out as little body stumps flopping around on the floor and rolling around. Mom made sponge and mop suits for us so we could clean floors and earn the money for arms and legs. One day I was rolling to school and the last mile was downhill, we just got 2 foot of snow the night before. I was rolling too fast and became encased in a 6 foot ball of snow and smashed into the side of the schoolhouse, causing 24 hundred dollars damage to the building. I had to pay that off so I didn't get all my arms and legs until I was 14 years old. The other kids would point and laugh at us, but once we had our arms and legs, we quickly became stronger than the other kids our age. We stuck together and protected all the other little paraplegic mofford's, and gave them cleaning solvents and floor wax so they could make their way in this world. We saw some tough winters and hard times all the way around, but did we complain ? NO......WE LIKED IT !!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
15 inches snow over here in Wisconsin, but air temperature is around 32F- so very high in moisture content. Main roads are in fairly good shape.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
15 inches snow over here in Wisconsin, but air temperature is around 32F- so very high in moisture content. Main roads are in fairly good shape.
Very wet here also. Guy across the street came over to clear the end of the drive after the plows came through. His two stage had a rough time of it. He said it's the worst time his blower has ever had moving snow. Our single stage was having a hard time not plugging up.

Nasty stuff.

This was the first time the new guy cleared our drive. It will be his last. What a lazy bastard. I'm calling someone we had do it a few years back and ask if he does the sidewalks. It didn't matter then, but with the Mrs. doing the snow removal having the walks done is a need. She's not too good with the blower and I can't do it with my screwed up shoulder. Well, I could but she'd raise Cain.

We watched Madison on the news tonight. Ouch!!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Very wet here also. Guy across the street came over to clear the end of the drive after the plows came through. His two stage had a rough time of it. He said it's the worst time his blower has ever had moving snow. Our single stage was having a hard time not plugging up.

Nasty stuff.

This was the first time the new guy cleared our drive. It will be his last. What a lazy bastard. I'm calling someone we had do it a few years back and ask if he does the sidewalks. It didn't matter then, but with the Mrs. doing the snow removal having the walks done is a need. She's not too good with the blower and I can't do it with my screwed up shoulder. Well, I could but she'd raise Cain.

We watched Madison on the news tonight. Ouch!!
It looks like a snow globe outside, but the winds are still strong. I have a feeling that the snow will be staying around for awhile... The key is the snowpack temperature. Low tomorrow night should be 4F. That keeps the snowpack temperature down and makes it much harder to warm up. It is finally getting back closer to average in terms of temperatures after the very mild stretch for the first half of the month.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-22-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM

I think DM got somewhere between 12-13"

Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Only 8in on the best side...I mean west side.

Check snow totals across Iowa | Weather - KCCI Home

Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM

178 posts, read 334,458 times
It was enough to have work cancelled for 1 day and school to be cancelled for 2. We were due for some serious snow after a winter that was starting to resemble last year.

I dug out with my trusty snowblower and went over to HyVee to get groceries. On the way out I saw some cars trapped on a side road so i stopped to help shovel them out. We freed one lady who didn't speak english, in fact we had to drive her car out because she didn't understand us. We couldn't free the other guy (4x4 useless if you get too much snow under your car) so I gave him a ride home. Then I found out my neighbor's snowblower wasn't working well so I did a 2nd driveway. Made for a busy day...

The roads are generally in great shape now but I wish they would put more salt down on side roads with mega ice patches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines