U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM

7,300 posts, read 5,964,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Weather has a profound affect on some people (like me). I know I can't change it, but it makes me very unhappy when it is cold and snowy.

As soon as the house sells, I'm OUT!
I like it warm to hot too but it's hard to believe you like it 100+. If you really do, perhaps you should check out Dallas. I know last couple of summers they've had something like 40 plus days in a row with 100 plus temps.

That would be too much for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

9,423 posts, read 10,539,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I like it warm to hot too but it's hard to believe you like it 100+. If you really do, perhaps you should check out Dallas. I know last couple of summers they've had something like 40 plus days in a row with 100 plus temps.

That would be too much for me.
The higher the temps gets, the happier I am. Last summer we had several days of over 100, and I spent them OUTSIDE in the sun, or driving with the top down on the car. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those temps. Why is that so hard to believe?

I'm headed to Vegas tomorrow and am bummed it will only be in the 90s when I arrive.

I'd much rather be hot than cold. I hate to be cold. And lately, cold for me is anything under 70.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 AM

7,300 posts, read 5,964,873 times
Quote:
The higher the temps gets, the happier I am. Last summer we had several days of over 100, and I spent them OUTSIDE in the sun, or driving with the top down on the car. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those temps. Why is that so hard to believe?

I'm headed to Vegas tomorrow and am bummed it will only be in the 90s when I arrive.

I'd much rather be hot than cold. I hate to be cold. And lately, cold for me is anything under 70.
I pretty much agree with you except 100+ is pushing it. I still do stuff outside, unlike others, but I don't prefer 100+.

I prefer highs around 85-90 though.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,886,814 times
Quote:

It is probably "hard to believe" because when you talk to people that live in areas where summer has long periods of repressive heat, they tell you everyone stays inside. Also, when we visit the in-laws retirement community in Arizona in March each year and learn that 75% -85% of these people start leaving to head up north sometime in April/May, it tells me that most people (if given the choice and have the means) would not choose to live that far south during the hot summer months.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,560,520 times
I was pleasantly surprised last summer when we were in Las Vegas and the temps got up to 106 or so.

It was comfortable. Better than here at 90 with high humidity.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,886,814 times
^ Yeah, to that point. I spent some time in Spokane Washington. It would be mid-90's and it was very pleasant vs 90's in Iowa w/ humidity.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 PM

9,270 posts, read 18,262,876 times
Quote:
I'm skeptical only because everyone I've known personally who talks like you has ended up being a weenie when it gets really hot.

Couple of examples, a guy I used to work with at a car dealership, grew up in Pittsburgh, lived in southern Florida a few years before he came to Illinois. Always complained about the cold and talked about how he loved the hot weather, would never run his AC in Florida unless his daughter made him, would go out and play golf in the heat of the day, etc, etc. Then when summer rolled around he started spending all his time in his office (which was cooler than the rest of the building for some reason), wouldn't go outside unless he had to, and when he did go outside he'd get back in as quick as he could and run right back to his office. He even stopped playing golf until it cooled down.

Another lady here locally who always complains about the cold and talks about how much she loves hot weather, "the hotter the better" and all that. One day last summer I was walking into the hardware store at the same time as her husband, I noticed that he had left his car running and glanced over there to see her sitting in there with the AC turned up so high it was blowing her hair and every vent pointed directly at her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I was pleasantly surprised last summer when we were in Las Vegas and the temps got up to 106 or so.

It was comfortable. Better than here at 90 with high humidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
^ Yeah, to that point. I spent some time in Spokane Washington. It would be mid-90's and it was very pleasant vs 90's in Iowa w/ humidity.
About this time last year I went to West Texas to play some music. It was a high desert area - about 4,000 feet, I think - so the humidity was pretty low. The week I was there the temps were running about 90 degrees with maybe 30% humidity. We'd already had some 80+ degree days with high humidity so I thought it was rather comfortable - enough so that I camped out - but the locals thought it was hot enough to move a dance that had been scheduled outdoors to an indoor air-conditioned facility. I thought that was a little ridiculous but I guess it's all a matter of what you're acclimated to.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,410,459 times
Quote:
North Dakota? HA! NEVER.

I have my eye on the desert SW. Or Texas. Or southern Florida. Las Vegas is as far north as I want to be. If I ever needed final validation that it was time to move, snow in May is all I need. I am going to Las Vegas for 5 days, leaving tomorrow. I can't wait! I wish I could have left yesterday and missed the mess of white this morning.

I made sure to shake the snow off my lilac bush before I left for work. I already lost one branch on it from the December blizzard, I don't want to lose any more.
I don't let the weather bother me much, enjoyed my walk this afternoon, with hat and gloves on. Last summer was hot, but like you, I found it quite tolerable, I could get along fine in Arizona with those temps. However, that dry brown landscape of the southwest (killer bee infested) would get old fast. We saw what the land becomes when there's no water, no thanks. We had many 90 and 100 degree days last summer, and it was NOT that humid at all, the heat index was not even a factor on most of those hot days. It was very dry and I remember many of those 100 degree days the dew point was in the 40's or 50's. Not bad at all, I rode my bicycle on many of those afternoons, and enjoyed it. We even had a short break in the heat last summer, when it cooled off a bit in mid August for the fair. Nice.

So the big winner for the May snow event was Osage IA, whom got 13 inches of snow......lucky dogs. We only had 6 inches in Des Moines. I wanted to get my shovel out, but it will all be gone tomorrow. Christmas will be here before you know it, need to get that shovel back out of storage and be ready.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM

9,423 posts, read 10,539,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm skeptical only because everyone I've known personally who talks like you has ended up being a weenie when it gets really hot.
Not me. That is when I get out my lawn chair and bikini and lay in the sun. Or mow. Or wash my car. On those hot hot days I am outside from late morning till the sun goes down. My 2 chihauhuas also love it. Last summer I had to make one of my dogs get off the blazing hot driveway; he was sprawled on his back sunbathing (his belly even tans LOL)

I never feel like it is too hot...unless I forget the beach towel for the leather seats in my convertible...OUCH! But even then I don't complain. I never complain about being hot.

Cold? Yes. ALL THE TIME!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM

15,170 posts, read 25,986,892 times
Last year, everyone was complaining how warm it was this time of the year, asking "Where is Spring?'

This year, everyone is complaining how cold it is this time of year, asking "Where is Spring?"

Little changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines