Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 AM

82 posts, read 162,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
It's hilarious that the idea of Des Moines as it relates to "skylines" is some big selling point that keeps getting touted by various posters (including you) on this forum. Yes, to somebody who spent their life in Clarion or Chariton, the Principal Building is an architectural marvel to behold. To most other residents of the United States who have visited New York, Chicago, or even Denver...the Des Moines skyline seems much closer in scope/density to Cedar Rapids than any of the aforementioned cities. Plus, I've never heard anyone say they selected a city because it had a couple buildings over 400 feet tall and their "second choice" didn't. Ever.

Population growth??? If untamed suburban sprawl is attractive to you, then Des Moines really does nail it. Judging by the census numbers coming out of Des Moines proper, it seems the city is still about the same size it was when JFK took office. Meanwhile, cornfields get turned into strip malls with Jimmy Johns like crazy away from the city. That's supposed to make Des Moines stand out from the crowd? Even lowly Davenport with its anemic 2% growth has managed to convert acres upon acres of farmland into strips malls for housing all those coveted Jimmy Johns.

If population growth is what makes a city awesome, then Ankeny is stealing Des Moines' thunder in a big way.
Most all of Des Moines propers growth is infill and downtown core development. The suburbs are obviously a different story.

Why is it worth mentioning the hilarity of Des Moines skyline as it relates to cities that are dozens of times larger? you seem to be the only one that makes this point as it relates to this. it's already common sense to most. LOL

When people talk about this it's because it is impressive for a city it's size in the Midwest. Not because they actually think its somehow just like LA or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
You still have not responded to my query of last night.
When have you ever come to this forum with the idea of posting anything new or positive?
Name a single positive thought you have ever shared here.
Have you ever shared a positive idea with anyone in your real life away from this forum?
Have you ever had a thought or comment that was not negative or not made with an intent to belittle someone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Jonez
My question to you was actually made yesterday morning that I referenced a moment ago.
I'm still waiting for an honest answer.
In all fairness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
There is a big difference between the original/steak/chicken at Tasty Tacos.

I've met people who hated it and told them to try to steak version, and they've liked it.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by econboy View Post
Most all of Des Moines propers growth is infill and downtown core development. The suburbs are obviously a different story.

Why is it worth mentioning the hilarity of Des Moines skyline as it relates to cities that are dozens of times larger? you seem to be the only one that makes this point as it relates to this. it's already common sense to most. LOL

When people talk about this it's because it is impressive for a city it's size in the Midwest. Not because they actually think its somehow just like LA or NYC.
Most don't think that...they think it offers everything LA & NYC do in a smaller package without the big city traffic, crime, and whatnot. It has better (or equally good) theater, art, food, nightlife...It's Shangri-La.

If you haven't noticed, the comparisons by local media/civic groups are always to NYC, LA, SF, and occasionally Barcelona, London, or Tokyo. Never any larger Midwestern cities (including Chicago) as well, as Des Moines is above all midwestern cities.

Whenever a fair comparison like Omaha or Madison is brought up, it only results in bickering. None of these cities realize they're on the same playing field since the comparison cities don't sound impressive.

Just like SF:

News - Downtown Des Moines

Old 06-01-2013, 03:33 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Jonez
There's that "Shangri-La" terminiology again.
I was looking for the word "cult" but it wasn't there.
Is there any other topic you want to discuss on City-Data that does not go in this same vein? Try it...you might enjoy a change & like it.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Notice that the micro apartments in Des Moines are twice the size of those in San Francisco. I bet upon hearing this, all the young professionals in the Silicon Valley will be planning a move to downtown Des Moines.

After all, Des Moines' art museum is the same New York City's. No different. Probably better, in fact.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The skyline in Atlantic City is impressive for a city of just 40,000. They have six buildings over 400 feet tall. Des Moines only has two. So...do we have to invoke the Jimmy Johns tiebreaker to sort this one out?

Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 PM

82 posts, read 162,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
The skyline in Atlantic City is impressive for a city of just 40,000. They have six buildings over 400 feet tall. Des Moines only has two. So...do we have to invoke the Jimmy Johns tiebreaker to sort this one out?
And that addresses the point of my post you quoted....how??

Old 06-02-2013, 02:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
I lost track of who thinks what in all the sarcasm.

So I'll try.

Des Moines is awesome compared to:
Iowa City

Des Moines is not awesome compared to:
Many places that are not in the Midwest (I could name individual cities, but this post would become very long)

That wasn't too hard.

To the OP, sorry you ended up back in Iowa. When I was moving out and people heard where I was going about half of them said, "I had a chance to leave once..." and then became sad and quiet. It was AMAZING. I had never seen such responses. The sheer volume of people I met in CR/IC that wanted to leave the state blew my mind. Some even said they made it out, but then had to return because their parents had health issues. Why they had to drop their career instead of having their parents move to them was beyond me

Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
And that addresses the point of my post you quoted....how??
You obviously equate "large" skylines with the greatness of a city, relative to its population. I just cited an example where a city five times smaller than Des Moines has three times the number of buildings over 400 feet tall.

According to your own methodology, Atlantic City is blowing Des Moines out of the water with its skyline-to-people ratio.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
econboy
Those of us who are not trying to be contrary understand the nature of your post here.
For the folks up there in Des Moines, I hope it's not too unsettling to be blown "out of the water" by a tiny resort city that has a notable boardwalk hotel strip skyline. But I'm confident that you can handle it ok. There are smallish Florida "condo" cities hugging the coastline with multiple towers too.
By the way, there are some nice compliments to be found about the Des Moines skyine on a Wichita thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines