Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
How is this a "hostile forum"?
I've already been attacked personally and been called an imposter, who is really just a Ronnie Jonez puppet account. And, no proof for that claim either.

I've also read through the earlier posts where RJ is attacked for simply expressing his opinion. It's a hostile forum to those who don't work backwards from the premise that Des Moines is absolutely the best city in Iowa, and no other city can even come close. Anyone who expresses doubt or conveys a story of dissatisfaction about Des Moines is labelled a miserable human being who would be miserable anywhere.

That seems rather hostile to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I really don't care what you think of Des Moines as I beleive that you probably have a number of personal issues that are showing themselves here.
Once again, you make a personal attack without providing any substantiation. Just the mere fact I have the audacity to question the prevailing attitude in Des Moines automatically makes me unstable in your estimation.

If you want to have a meaningful exchange, you'll need to drop the childish attacks on my character.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
I've already been attacked personally and been called an imposter, who is really just a Ronnie Jonez puppet account. And, no proof for that claim either.

I've also read through the earlier posts where RJ is attacked for simply expressing his opinion. It's a hostile forum to those who don't work backwards from the premise that Des Moines is absolutely the best city in Iowa, and no other city can even come close. Anyone who expresses doubt or conveys a story of dissatisfaction about Des Moines is labelled a miserable human being who would be miserable anywhere.

That seems rather hostile to me.
The bolded is simply not true. RJ has said this over and over again. Just because he repeats this rant doesn't make it so.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
They simply don't like it (any viewpoint not parallel to theirs), I have said good things about it as well, which go unnoticed, but the culture is strange.

Something else that should be noted, in most larger cities you get a cross-section of replies (regarding the culture as well), since not everyone is from that state, and even those from the state are not so brainwashed either.

You never read much about the actual culture of the city when it comes to Des Moines/Madison/Omaha sized cities. Everyone is convinced it's this perfect utopia somewhere between big-city and medium-city, with all the big city offerings like an Apple store & Trader Joe's as funksoulbro said, and they've found Shangri-La.

Des Moines still probably takes it farther than those cities. It's literally so "out there" to some of the local posters to admit one other person agrees with myself, that they will accuse that person of being myself.

Happened recently with Camille as well. Not really surprised, most have a tough time accepting not everyone is wearing the rose-colored glasses.

Last edited by tollfree; 05-30-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
You seem to only see, hear & believe what suits you, funk. That's a shame & probably fits the"childish" realm pretty snugly given your own slew of blanket accusations & generalizations directed at the people of Des Moines & those of us here on this thread.
As I pointed out to you here recently, I initially tried to have a respectful & "meaningful" & adult exhange of ideas with you but you dropped your air of superiority & sarcasm all over me because you came on this forum with a chip on your shoulder. You then incorrectly pegged me as an Iowa boy all over-awed by Des Moines, by the skyline of all things no less, who needed to be put in his place. Since that point, you have only succeeded in going downhill without looking back.
I have never see anything like it to this degree before at city-data & it's all truly not worth any further response on my part.
Would the op care to begin a new thread?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
You never read much about the actual culture of the city when it comes to Des Moines/Madison/Omaha sized cities. Everyone is convinced it's this perfect utopia somewhere between big-city and medium-city, with all the big city offerings like an Apple store & Trader Joe's as funksoulbro said, and they've found Shangri-La.

Des Moines still probably takes it farther than those cities. It's literally so "out there" to some of the local posters to admit one other person agrees with myself, that they will accuse that person of being myself.
Little Rock, Huntsville, Akron, and Boise all have Apple Stores. Nobody is going to confuse them with NYC or LA any time soon. I'm confused by the arbitrary lines which get drawn to determine what is Shangri-La and what is just some random tenant in a strip mall.

It's ironic, because when people from actual big cities stumble across this Des Moines forum and see people touting these minor retail achievements as proof they're now in the big leagues, doesn't that actually serve to accentuate the uncultured, backwoods stereotype Des Moines has been attempting to shake for decades?

It reminds me of the day Hampton, Iowa got their own McDonald's restaurant. For the months leading up to its opening, and the actual opening day itself, you would've thought it was a new Hard Rock Cafe coming to town.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
My brother lived in Madison for a year and absolutely hated it. He works as a photographer and said the self-righteous attitude of that city was unbearable. He moved to Omaha shortly thereafter and loves it there. I think I'd like Omaha if it simply didn't have "Nebraska" by its name. Nebraska is a deal-breaker for me.

Anyhoo...I'm not sure whether Des Moines can beat Madison in population growth, but I do believe Des Moines can give Madison a real challenge with the whole self-righteous angle.
Des Moines is the city with a thread bragging about how their population growth outpaced the midwest and your telling me Madison is self-righteous!? Lol. But in all honesty, Madison, Des Moines, and Omaha all have a very self-righteous attitude. Especially because they all have something to prove.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:23 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Why would that not be a thing to brag about...? that is a pretty significant thing and a good piece of information to be present on a forum that revolves around statistics.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Des Moines is the city with a thread bragging about how their population growth outpaced the midwest and your telling me Madison is self-righteous!? Lol. But in all honesty, Madison, Des Moines, and Omaha all have a very self-righteous attitude. Especially because they all have something to prove.
We agree that both cities are self-righteous. I will say Des Moines tries harder. In fact, there's such a thing as trying too hard...and Des Moines definitely falls into that category.

Check out desmoinesisnotboring.com/wordpress sometime, and you'll see what I mean. When you're reduced to making the local TV sports anchor sing the praises of how awesome your downtown is, you're trying WAY TOO HARD for attention.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Why would that not be a thing to brag about...? that is a pretty significant thing and a good piece of information to be present on a forum that revolves around statistics.
The way the thread is presented makes it sound a little cocky. Come on, Des Moines growth outpaces the Midwest!? Maybe the midwest as a whole, but its still growing slower Madison, Omaha, the twin cities...This is just something small but adding that extra part makes it sound real cocky. It's as if Des Moines is the BEST, FASTEST growing Midwest metro. Even so, I'm glad that that this was posted because it's always interesting to see population statistics but it does seem cocky. It's a small annoyance and not even worth arguing. BTW that was originally intended to be a joke, not malicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines