Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,666,967 times

Advertisements

Yeah Granite, I was surprised as well to learn of the MSA consolidation of data that added Rock County into metro Madison.
The data I found & wrote about for Jan. 2013 still had Madison listed as we knew it & then the data I found from July 2013 was where that greater MSA consolidation had occurred & from which the 2.53% number was obtained.
I have no idea if that move by the bureau will stick or if Madison data will always be released in that form as I have seen some cases around the country where a county has been later removed from an MSA.
An equivalent situation of that type of consolidation would be if the tiny Ames metro with around 90,000 residents would be included in with the Des Moines metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM

26,386 posts, read 46,287,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Des Moines is the city with a thread bragging about how their population growth outpaced the midwest and your telling me Madison is self-righteous!? Lol. But in all honesty, Madison, Des Moines, and Omaha all have a very self-righteous attitude. Especially because they all have something to prove.
Madison has nothing to prove as it continues to have the best economy of any area in Wisconsin and the vast majority of the Midwest region. It also has a far more desirable geographical location (to most people) and is closer to major metropolitan areas as well as the Great Lakes. Omaha and Des Moines are both more isolated overall.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM

26,386 posts, read 46,287,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
funk
You really need to read & digest the back and forth here on this thread between Granite & myself. If you did, you would see that I do not have a skyscraper fixation & mentioned the Des Moines skyline, & the fact that it's in the center of what is obviously a center of commerce, only to point out that Des Moines has Madison all beat to heck insofar as comparing the size of their downtowns & skylines.
I made that comment in response to her post that mentioned the lakes & beauty that are found plentifully in the Madison area. I stated that both cities have their strong suits. In that regard, downtown DesMoines & it's skyline win hands done over Madison. That does not make me skyline-obsessed even though I do live in a city that has a huge skyine.
I get around a bit & read, etc. & am very familiar with the skyline of Hong Kong & do not need you to tell me that it is a wonder with one of the absolutely greatest skylines in the world.
And if I were obsessed, what of it?
The irony is that while Des Moines does indeed have a larger and more prominent skyline than Madison it continues to lose jobs while Dallas County is growing at a torrid rate right over the county line. I also think the cultures of Des Moines and Madison are substantially different overall. Des Moines, IMO, does have more rural influences because it is the largest nodal city in a much more rural geographic area so it does have many "pull factors" that draw people to move to the city. The culture of Des Moines is also much more corporate and conservative than Madison by far. The social culture of Des Moines is also more conservative as well compared to Madison. Most suburbs near Madison are middle of the road to liberal politically. I also think that the overall pace is somewhat faster in Madison and it tends to attract people that are from much larger cities in the Great Lakes region. Perhaps this has something to do with the "smugness" factor, but I don't really see it at all compared to the coasts. I guess it could be a bit more significant than cities that are more geographically isolated, therefore more inclined to be "laid back" in attitude. Kansas City generally fits that description and I see that has a negative overall because the city continues to fall further and further behind its peer cities. Most residents there don't really seem to care.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,738,350 times
Both cities like to consider themselves more liberal than SF or Portland (or very close).

Madison is "liberal" on campus, besides that, basically the same.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 PM

389 posts, read 666,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Madison has nothing to prove as it continues to have the best economy of any area in Wisconsin and the vast majority of the Midwest region. It also has a far more desirable geographical location (to most people) and is closer to major metropolitan areas as well as the Great Lakes. Omaha and Des Moines are both more isolated overall.
How many people actually give a crap about skylines or proximity to a Great Lake?

If they want a skyline, they'll move to New York City. If they want proximity to a Great Lake, they'll move to Kenosha. If they want both a skyline and proximity to a Great Lake, they'll move to Chicago.

I love how every Des Moines and Madison poster on this thread sets up a phony, arbitrary template of what people supposedly want in a city (based on their present location's attributes, of course) then assumes every other person in America wants that exact same template.

It's funny watching one civic booster so insecure about their city's standing in the national media battle another civic fanatic from a different city about the lamest minutiae imaginable.

Please carry on, though. It beats the ever-lovin' snot out of the Friday night television line-up.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 PM

Pathetic...again...you are in your responses.
You could probably write the same pathetic, argumentative, always-in-your-face, I know it all & am smarter than you pablum against everyone commenting on a thread about various national parks, or the sunrise on a particular morning or the constellations.
As I said, it's obviously a matter of issues with you & I don't care at all what you make of that.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Both cities like to consider themselves more liberal than SF or Portland (or very close).

Madison is "liberal" on campus, besides that, basically the same.
There are ways to gauge a city's "liberalness" by looking up precinct-wide (or even county-wide) election results. While college areas will have a more liberal lean, keep in mind that many college-aged kids are tuned completely out of the electoral system. So, their participation in the process doesn't really put that much of a "thumb on the scale" as it were.

Since we're all throwing out meaningless statistics about what city has better population growth, or a better skyline, or driving distances to a boat ramp on Lake Michigan...let me throw this meaningless statistic out there and watch the fireworks which will ensue:

Polk County 2012: Obama 56.4, Romney 42.2, Stein 0.2 (Liberal score of 56.6)
Dane County 2012: Obama 71.1, Romney 27.6, Stein 0.4 (Liberal score of 71.5)
In 2012, Dane County was 14.9 points more liberal than Polk County.

Polk County 2008: Obama 56.7, McCain 42.0, Nader 0.4 (Liberal score of 57.1)
Dane County 2008: Obama 72.9, McCain 25.9, Nader 0.5 (Liberal score of 73.4)
In 2008, Dane County was 16.3 points more liberal than Polk County.

You're welcome, Madison posters! Bask in your Liberal Superiority over Des Moines.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Pathetic...again...you are in your responses.

As I said, it's obviously a matter of issues with you & I don't care at all what you make of that.
Yet, you care enough to respond (almost immediately)....with your own repetitive and pathetic response.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 PM

Seems as though the original purpose of the thread has run it's course.
In a note of reply, yes Des Moines & Madison are strikingly different cities but I do I think that perhaps the moderator, i.e. Granite, should start a Madison vs. Des Moines or just a Madison memories thread.
I could fill some in on that topic as Madison will always occupy a place in my own heart because my parents met there during WW2 when my dad was based at Truax Field, now the site of the airport in Madison.
I have many Madison-based family photos stuck away that highlight some vintage eras in that city along with an article with photos from when the state capitol building burned. Additionally, yet I am old enough to remember 2 way traffic all the way down State Street & the era when movie theaters were there & on the square & when the only shopping center was Hilldale.
Sadly the last week I ever spent there was at a hospice in Fitchburg.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 PM

I just signed on before I made my post that was directed at you, funk.
Believe me, I have a life & have not been sitting here waiting for you to post so I could respond.
Jeesh...loservillex10.
Keep it up but I see that you still have never had the decency to respond to me in any manner that was respectful despite the fact that I treated your first post here with due respect, even though I disagreed with a major premise of what you wrote.
You never ever responded about to the heart of what I wrote wrote that time. Instead you dropped a big load of smart*** sarcasm & superiority on me because you came here with the intent to share a big chip of your bad attitude. You never had the guts to treat me with courtesy here or to try & dial it back from the first chance you had to do so here so go crawl back under that rock of misery where you live like Gollum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines