Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It doesn't change the fact most of the population surge in DSM proper is from the Hispanic community, and doesn't change the fact that locals (native white Iowans) may have trouble accepting that.
Source? Link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
The article is from 2011. The Hispanic population has only grown since then, but I was unable to find a current article about what the Hispanic population currently is, so I was expecting something like "Well, that is an outdated article, it's not true, Ronnie uses articles from 2011".

It was easier to remove the article, and explain in an simpler way what I was getting at - which I did.

If you think most of Des Moines proper's population growth is not from the Hispanic population, you are only kidding yourself. It's always spun by local media like all these techies are moving to Des Moines from SF and the next generation of Iphone will be made, in where else, but Des Moines, after all, Dwolla is in Des Moines and it could be anywhere. While there may more be of those now than before, that segment of population growth is small in relation to population growth via Hispanics in Des Moines proper (legal or illegal immigrant, or recently born).

I've brought this point up before and you've ignored it. The reason being, you don't like it but aren't willing to admit that because you know it looks bad, so you prefer to not address it and turn it into a game of semantics regarding what I said.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Source? Link?
There's no empirical data on that. Unfortunately. Obviously you never notice it's ignored when some "DSM is growing" article is written - that the fact most of the growth is from Hispanic community is repeatedly ignored.

Keep in mind, Steve King...from Iowa. Governor Branstad is basically eternal governor, and is anti-Hispanic.

A common Iowa theme, if it's signed and notarized, it's not real.

There is an outpour of support for gays over Hispanics among whites in Iowa, since many gays happen to be their own color.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
It's the same old story here:

"How to ruin a thread in 10 posts or less."
Brought to you by...

Is there anyone else out there who enjoys population data & wants to continue the conversation on the original topic as regards Des Moines?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
Growth is growth, whether it's Hispanics or White collar people from out of state driving it. too bad the article doesn't delve into what is driving the growth and who is behind it, in the city v. the suburbs as well. Those topics seem relevant and I don't see anyone ruining the thread. A healthy community attracts diverse people, so I think if Hispanics are moving to DSM, it says something positive about the community. Over time, they will have more influence and the city and region will evolve, making some people happy and others not so much. That is the cycle of a maturing city. It seems like up until now, the Hispanic population has been so small that it is invisible to many people...but that is aparently starting to change. Interesting times, I think Iowans will embrace Hispanics as they have with Gays, especially as they become more visible.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM

Chelito
If you look carefully here at this thread & at other DSM threads, you will pick up on what I was referring to insofar as the "ruining" of the thread goes.
Take a careful look at the myriad of DSM thread archives & look for the words & phrases that speak of the "cult", "spin" & other factors supposedly peculiar only to DSM & a few other cities of it's ilk.
It's incredible how so many different topics about DSM can all be manipulated & brought full circle around to those code words & phrases so as to suit some one here.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 PM

By the way, Chelito, many of your points here @ 8:30 are quite valid & interesting.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Positive news from Des Moines Register story:

Read more: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...text|Frontpage
Once again Des Moines, IA should be TRYING to compete with Madison, WI. It fails to do so and your article link proves the point. The growth rate in Madison, WI is double that of Des Moines, IA and job growth in Madison over time is much greater.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Why do we care? I'm confused by why we are now hearing about competition with Madison. Population growth isn't a contest it's an indicator of prosperity.

We here in DSM don't give a damn about Madison. It has no bearing on our metro at all.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
And what is Ronnie I-can't spel-my-name's problem with Hispanics? No one seems to mention a problem except him. That tells me that everyone is fine with that segment of our population but him.

Another useless factoid by the useless poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines