Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know Des Moines is listed as growing zone 5B. Columbus, OH is 6A.

I know my witch hazel transplants will be okay because they are from Lansing, MI (zone 5B).

Do you think my hosta and roses will be okay or will I need local ones? My guess is the hosta will be fine as will the species roses (rosa sp.) but the hybrids won't make it . . . any ideas?

I seem to recall having to plant "sub zero" roses when I lived in Lansing. None of the other hybrids made it, but I may have had cruddy soil. I now grow hybrid roses in half-whiskey barrels so I manage the soil better.

I'm asking because new bushes are on the expensive side ($22+ for decent ones), so it's worth bringing what I can if they'll survive. Yes, I know to use rotone and wrap the roots in damp newspaper and burlap. I think they would survive the move itself.

I will start over with daylilies. They aren't that expensive.

Are there any special nurseries you like? I do some mail order, but it's nice to be able to go somewhere, besides Lowe's Garden Center, and chat with experts.

(To be fair, our Lowe's employs a few Master Gardeners on a seasonal basis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
Earl May is a respected small midwest chain of nurseries with a few locations in the DM metro. Their prices are higher on things than the big box stores, but I think the quality of their items is better. You are also paying for the expertise of the staff IMO. I buy things from serveral places, but when I have a question or looking for advice, I always head to my local Earl May as they seem to always have the answers I can trust.

https://www.earlmay.com/index.cfm

I live closet to the store on 5610 Douglas in DM, so that is the one I frequent most often. Also, their top gardening expert (not sure how to label responsiblities) works that store. Last name is Holub. He used to own several of his own nurseries around Iowa but now works for Earl May.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks, CCG! I'll poke my nose in there on the next trip.

My friend says you can turn Iowa soil with a spoon, but my thoughts are on winter kills. I remember some of the difficulties I had in Lansing until I got the right plants.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Hybrid teas will grow here. If they are winter exposed they should be heavily mulched over winter. I have two close to the house on the south side and I never mulch them. They have done quite well for the last 25 or so years. In fact one of them was transplanted when we moved and is probably 35 years old.

The place you plant here is as important as the plant itself. Winter protection varies depending on the amount of winter wind or lack of early spring sun. I doubt your roses will survive in whiskey barrels.

Hostas love it here. If you are a fan you will find some nurseries that have a huge variety available. Here is an example: Flying Frog Farms L.C. This page has the catalog in PDF format. Downloadable.

Visiting garden centers will open your eyes to an amazing variety of plants that will grow here. Even Lowes has a wide selection. And Thereby Hangs a Tale...

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the link!

I will visit the garden centers when I have more time. If I close on the house I want, it's well-shaded and a great home for hostas, and I'll bring several of my heritage ones and well as buy new ones there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: