Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 AM

31 posts, read 50,404 times

Advertisements

We're new to Des Moines, and are wondering what the accepted protocol is here when you can't or don't want to be home on what apparently is referred to as "Beggar's Night" in this area? We aren't fans of trick-or-treat for a variety of reasons (one being that the dogs go crazy every time someone comes to the door; my pet peeve is the older kids who show up later in the evening, not even wearing costumes, looking for free candy). We don't want to be perceived by our new neighbors as being "Scrooges", nor do we want to have our house vandalized because we failed to give out candy. Is it acceptable here to leave your house dark to indicate that you're not participating? Would that not then invite the possibility of having the house egged or worse? Your input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
In my experience, there is nothing wrong with not participating. Just leave your front porch lights off and no one should bother you on that night. Kids only really go to houses that are lit. I am sure that there is SOME vandalism, but I have never experienced that. I don't think you need to worry. Also, communities set times for trick or treat, and most people shut the lights off right at the ending time. IME no one has ever knocked after that time or if my lights were off the enitre time.

I always find it interesting that my neighbors across the street go all out decorating for Halloween, but never hand out candy. The house is lit and decorated for Halloween starting sometime in September, but on Beggar's Night? DARK.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I was also told what ElleTea said. Also, in my neighborhood, I was told to let my immediate neighbors know I won't be home (if I want) and they will keep an eye on the place.

Maybe that's your situation?

Devil's night (the night before Halloween) isn't apparently celebrated out here. That was the worst night for eggs and such. I remember how owners of buildings in and around Detroit used to set them on fire on Devil's night so they could get the insurance. I'm told it's now Angel's night (in Detroit), and the fires have decreased.

Hey, at these prices, give those eggs to me! I'll turn them into egg salad. Don't throw them at houses. (Kids!)

Old 10-24-2013, 04:07 PM

ElleTea, that's funny about your neighbors -- ours across the street have also decorated to the max, but they have a couple of young kids so I expect they'll be participating that night.

Meemur, good idea about letting the neighbors know if we aren't going to be home. Hadn't heard of Devil's night before, and glad to have never experienced it. "Angel's night" sounds like the new, PC version...glad the name change has apparently helped. As for the eggs, I'm with you: much better to make egg salad (or, deviled eggs, lol!) than waste them on houses.

Now I'm curious: do y'all call it "wrapping" or "T.P.-ing" (teepeeing?) here? In Ohio, it's T.P.-ing; in Texas, wrapping. One of our boys' friends (enemies?) did a fabulous job of wrapping our trees down in Texas -- very artistic, but a bear to clean up!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 PM

TP-ing.

As a kid some also went "corning." (throwing corn at houses) I never did, of course.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 PM

And my husband denies having ever kicked a cow. Sure, I believe you both...

Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I never TP'd a house. The worst I did was draw stick figures in chalk on a boy's sidewalk and write things like Dennis is a baby! (or whatever his name was).

I think I was all of eight or so at the time. It rained that night, and I don't think anyone saw it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizle79 View Post
And my husband denies having ever kicked a cow. Sure, I believe you both...
Kicked a cow? Do you mean tipped a cow? I don't think I would kick one, they could kick back pretty hard!

I've never tipped a cow either. Cows are pretty cute, actually. Those big brown eyes and long eyelashes!

(I have never been on a farm, unless Living History Farms counts.)

Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Kicked a cow? Do you mean tipped a cow? I don't think I would kick one, they could kick back pretty hard!

I've never tipped a cow either. Cows are pretty cute, actually. Those big brown eyes and long eyelashes!

(I have never been on a farm, unless Living History Farms counts.)
Never been on a farm?? But you live in Iowa! Don't you know we all pass by a barn on the way to our outhouses.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Never been on a farm?? But you live in Iowa! Don't you know we all pass by a barn on the way to our outhouses.
And after we go to the store to buy our "native" bumper stickers driving past meth labs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines