Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Forecast for Des Moines. Those lows are BELOW zero. Those temps hurt

Monday 26/13
Tuesday 22/-15 3-6" of snow
Wednesday 6/-1
Thursday 10/-2
Friday 18/1
Saturday 19/2 snow
Sunday 21/3

Old 02-03-2014, 02:00 PM

31 posts, read 53,719 times
You lived in the "D" so pretty much you know what to expect in the winter months, as far as 50 degree weather....... no where close to freezing. I will say Des Moines is much slower, than the states you have lived in, so prepare yourself. I relocated from Michigan, but as far as crime....haha that is hilarious. You have lived in Chiraq, Detroit and Vegas compared to these places there is no crime here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM

31 posts, read 53,719 times
Default High Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Des Moines and high crime? I guess if you consider getting your house egged crime...
High Crime??? you can't be serious!!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
There's tons more sun in Des Moines than the "D" !! I was west of there one of the years SE Michigan went 19 days without sunshine.

But, yeah, you've got to be willing to dress for the cold!

I finally got my hands into some 80 gram thinsulate gloves at end-of-the-season prices. I'm one happy camper.

Agree with Elletea . . . please, please come visit in the winter. I moved from Michigan to Ohio, so moving back north wasn't a huge deal. I lived in the Lansing/E. Lansing area for a few years, as well as Mt. Pleasant, so I have those experiences with driving in near blizzard conditions.

Nothing has surprised or dismayed me, weatherwise. However, I know folks from AZ who moved here for work. They are working very hard to get a transfer to ATL.

If you can handle the winters, there are some really nice folks here. I'm constantly amazed that such kindness still exists. I guess I was becoming jaded and didn't realize it.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM

18 posts, read 64,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshi View Post
I skated yesterday in 50 degree weather and I was freezing. Last weekend it was 70 degrees.

Either I have a choice of remaining warm, or live in a real place . . . what the heck!
And contrary to what some people like to post here, it is possible to survive and even thrive during winter here. I have lived well south of the US border for significant periods in my life, and missed not having winter. And I know people who have moved here from very cold climates and get by just fine. I guess you just need to decide how important warm weather is to you? For some people, it is the most important factor, and other people prefer to look at job opportunities, crime, culture, etc (or like me, miss winter when living in year round warm climates).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: