Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
...but I'm curious how our senate race to replace Tom Harkin's seat is going to turn out..

Harkin is retiring? I always liked him and Grassley both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Liberals do not exclude others. Others exclude liberals.

We like people who are open minded. Look up th word "liberal". I does not man conservative. Nor does it mean "reactionary" or "exclusionary"?

Look up the word "liberal". Understand what it means. Then, look up "consevative". What exactly are they trying to conserve? Hate? Bigotry? Sexism? Racism? or something else.

It's meaning will inform you about those who identify as lineal or progressive.

Or both.

I am a proud patriot and American.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Harkin is retiring? I always liked him and Grassley both.
Yep, Harkin retires this year, to be replaced by Ernst or Braley in November of this year. I like Ernst but this would be a pretty big step up for her, going from a state senator to the national senate. Braley has been a congressman in the house for NE Iowa district since 2007, and typically the pathway to becoming a senator is serving in the house or as governor first, so Braley has that advantage, and being of the same party affiliation as the man he's is trying to replace, Tom Harkin, probably helps too, as Harkin will campaign for him.

I think Joni Ernst has an uphill battle, but she's doing remarkably well. I would suggest she back peddle on her position against the EPA/Clean Water Act. These are good programs passed over 40 years ago under the progressive leadership of Richard Nixon. Nixon passed many good things that still benefit the nation as a whole, such as the worker safety program OSHA, the EPA, auto emission standards, unleaded gasoline, school lunch, ect ect. I would not like to see any of Nixon's programs being dismantled, with the exception of affirmative action. I agree with Ernst on her desire for a balanced budget amendment.

Two states have never had a woman governor, congressman, or senator, Iowa and Mississippi.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Among the major reasons that Jodi Ernst is woefully unprepared to represent Iowa in the U.S. Senate is that she is poorly informed on world matters & I fear as to what sort of a voice she would be in the Senate as a result of that.
Her husband's views appear to be a major influence on her thinking & he has spouted off enough for us to know that he has plenty of cockamany ideas that are flat out wrong.
Ernst has tried to backpeddle away from her statement made earlier this year that weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq but that backpeddling may be more out of political necessity rather than a sincere refelction of her honest beliefs.
In an interview on Aug. 21st 2006, George Bush said, "...the main reason we went into Iraq at the time was that we thought that he had weapons of mass destruction. It turns out that he didn't..."
If 8 years later Jodi Ernst still hasn't gotten that news, then she is not fit to serve in the Senate representing Iowa.
One can only guess as to her news source(s) but her world view may also be badly out of step with reality. I fear for our country when such people are in leadership positions.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Fear not ladies, you have another contender in the running this Nov for Iowa's 3rd district House of Rep seat, which covers SW Iowa including Polk County. In the blue corner, we have Staci Appel, former financial consultant and mother of six, from Ackworth.

In the red corner, from a very split field of candidates we have David Young, who was Chief of Staff for Chuck Grassley, but only captured 15% of the vote, but won anyway because it went to convention where the stronger candidates such as Brad Zaun, Robert Cramer and Matt Schultz, all of whom got over 20% were shut down in favor of David Young.

We shall see if David Young has learned enough from working with Chuck Grassley to pull off a win. Going to be a tough race for him, with Polk County being a part of the 3rd district.

And speaking of Seantor Grassley, his next election does not come up again until 2016. At that time he will be 83 years old, and fully prepared to run again, and serve another 6 year term. Remember, a Grassley year is not the same as regular human year, at that time he will really only be 60 human years old, and will live to be at least 120 human years or more. The healthcare industry will never let him die, if possible. He has been a good senator and deserves to fossilize like Strom Thurmond and Jessie Helms, just to use for an example of "the bar" he needs to jump to be the oldest living thing in Washington, He can do it, we have the technology.....better, stronger, faster, we can rebuild him.

Oh, and alter8, it's JONI Ernst, not Jodi.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

Is is just me, or is Chris Christie looking much better these days ? Wasn't he involved in some petty bridge squabble.......rather forgetable if you ask me. He's dumped a ton of lard too, think the man is going to have a strong run as the GOP candidate.
I dunno.

Christie still looks fat to me. Very fat.

Dumped 'a ton of lard' ... even if he did have bariatric surgery it looks like he's got 330 pounds instead of 360 pounds.

Wouldn't want to see him in a speedo.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Thanks mofford, I'll use "Joni" going forward.
And it's atler8, not alter8. LOL!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Just be happy you don't have to hear the ads. There's one by the opposition where the sound has been slowed down and Ernst sounds like she's talking to a 3-year-old saying, "I have Iowa values!" They air it every evening during the news. I'm usually in the kitchen, pulling something out of the microwave, and I yell nasty things back at the TV.

I don't like either candidate. I know several store owners who would be tons better, but they aren't into politics. I've told them that they should all serve one term, and if good people all did that, things would get better.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Just be happy you don't have to hear the ads. There's one by the opposition where the sound has been slowed down and Ernst sounds like she's talking to a 3-year-old saying, "I have Iowa values!" They air it every evening during the news. I'm usually in the kitchen, pulling something out of the microwave, and I yell nasty things back at the TV.

I don't like either candidate. I know several store owners who would be tons better, but they aren't into politics. I've told them that they should all serve one term, and if good people all did that, things would get better.
And I laugh my azz off every time I hear it.

"Iowa values" Gimme a break.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Yes, that commercial, lol, after she says 'Iowa Values" with bratty kid voice, then after that comes the screen shot with the fireball burning from the center outward, with everything melting down in a Joni-nuclear armageddon. An election for the senate always gets more attention anyway, and when it's a close race, all the more TV spots are thrust upon us. Did you see the "Show us your tax returns, what are you hiding Jack Hatch" one....lol.....and btw Granitestater, Jack Hatch wears those wire rim glasses too, the ones you made fun of earlier for Branstad wearing. Just wait, Jack Hatch will come out with a new anti-Branstad ad because Branstad criticized the fed for not giving him any notice about the Salvadoran kids they are sneaking up here to dump off on us, perhaps one where Branstad holds a machine gun on some Central American kids, and forces them to get back on the INS bus or some cheap shot like that.

Sorry atler8, that was a typo on your name, but I must say, alter8 sounds more cool, add an "n" after the 'r' and you've got something. Was there really that many Atler's that you had to add an 8 on there because Atler 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 were already taken ? Are you the 8th Atler in your family. Just kidding you, I'm named after a cat, so don't feel bad about Atler.

Clark Park, we don't want Christie to slim down too much, he's eating 12 metric tons of food every year and that's what keeps us going here in Iowa. Christie would be lots of fun if he was president, we haven't had a fat guy in there since Howard Taft. And something else I noticed too, when I posted those pictures of him with Branstad earlier, I had to work hard trying to find a normal picture of Christie without some kind of goofy looking expression on his face. Google images for Christie and you'll see what I mean.....lol. Obama is just no fun at all to make fun of, so academic, never does facial contortions or serious verbal butchery of the English language like George Bush did. Christie would be a gold mine of humor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines