Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,512 times

Advertisements

Okay so here's my story. My friend and i were just driving through a not the best neighborhood and I see a cop about to turn in my lane from the right side. There's two of them in the car when they see me that stop half way from turning in the middle of the street and waited for me to pass then followed me for a few blocks. I took a right then a left then anther right(all my lights work perfectly by the way). I'm on this main road for a block behind someone else, and the light was green as soon as I went through it the cop put he's lights on and pulled me over. They came up to both of are windows and asked for are ID's. My friend had his but I didn't have mine but he just wrote down my info and took my credit card. The whole time the second cop is all in my friends Window asking him all these questions like where we're going, what where we doing the whole time I can see him trying to find something. I asked what I did to get pulled over and was never answered. They went back to there car and sat there for like 2 min then one came to my Window asked me for more info I gave it to him and he walked away. ( also I was never asked for my registration or insurance don't they usually do that do that?) Then they get out the car with this big clipboard hand it to me and say sign it. I said "what is it "he said " a ticket for driving without a license" I was shocked by that at first but called my insurance company they said a lapsed like two months ago and I'm on sr22 so that means I have no license. After the cop gave me the ticket for $566 he told me to drive save with my friend who is fully licensed sitting right next to me?
Do I have good chance in court?

Ps. I am 19 but have a baby face that makes me look 14 mixed
My friend is 21 black with dreads could it be a race or age thing?

Pss. I really don't care about your 2 cents so if your not gonna say anything beneficial don't say anything at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 PM

498 posts, read 977,651 times
If you look 14 then that's enough reason to pull you over. Probable cause has to exist, but "Driver appeared to be underage" would definitely be accepted by a judge.

And no, your friend's race probably had nothing to do with it. Contrary to media portrayal, most cops are not out to Oppress The Black Man.

And if you don't care about our two cents, why are you asking here instead of consulting an attorney? That's the only person who can give you advice that is worth more than two cents.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derob35 View Post
Okay so here's my story. My friend and i were just driving through a not the best neighborhood and I see a cop about to turn in my lane from the right side. There's two of them in the car when they see me that stop half way from turning in the middle of the street and waited for me to pass then followed me for a few blocks. I took a right then a left then anther right(all my lights work perfectly by the way). I'm on this main road for a block behind someone else, and the light was green as soon as I went through it the cop put he's lights on and pulled me over. They came up to both of are windows and asked for are ID's. My friend had his but I didn't have mine but he just wrote down my info and took my credit card. The whole time the second cop is all in my friends Window asking him all these questions like where we're going, what where we doing the whole time I can see him trying to find something. I asked what I did to get pulled over and was never answered. They went back to there car and sat there for like 2 min then one came to my Window asked me for more info I gave it to him and he walked away. ( also I was never asked for my registration or insurance don't they usually do that do that?) Then they get out the car with this big clipboard hand it to me and say sign it. I said "what is it "he said " a ticket for driving without a license" I was shocked by that at first but called my insurance company they said a lapsed like two months ago and I'm on sr22 so that means I have no license. After the cop gave me the ticket for $566 he told me to drive save with my friend who is fully licensed sitting right next to me?
Do I have good chance in court?

Ps. I am 19 but have a baby face that makes me look 14 mixed
My friend is 21 black with dreads could it be a race or age thing?

Pss. I really don't care about your 2 cents so if your not gonna say anything beneficial don't say anything at all

Here's my 4 cents: Contact an attorney so he can charge you a ton of money to tell you things that I already know about tickets in Iowa, insurance requirements and what it will take to get everything straightened out and get your drivers license current and legal.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
I'm not familiar with SR22 - where you supposed to be driving?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I'm not familiar with SR22 - where you supposed to be driving?
I had to look. I didn't know, either.

SR22 and Other Insurance Requirements in Iowa | DrivingLaws.org

SR-22: When do you need it?

SR-22 (the “SR” stands for “safety responsibility”) is a document that verifies that someone has automobile insurance. The SR-22 is prepared by an insurance company and then filed (by the insurance company) with the department of motor vehicles (DMV). The SR-22 is not an insurance policy. It is evidence that you have a policy.

Typically, an SR-22 is required when a driver seeks to reinstate a driver’s license after being convicted of a DUI, reckless driving, driving without insurance, or some other driving violation that’s resulted in a suspension. The SR-22 may be required whether you own a vehicle (owner SR-22) or not (non-owner SR-22). The SR-22 is usually required for a number of years – for example, five years following a DUI conviction. If the policy holder fails to pay the premiums, the SR-22 is cancelled and an SR-26 is filed with the DMV. When the DMV receives the SR-26, the policy holder’s license is suspended until a new SR-22 is filed.

OP - I second taking to an attorney. Find one where the initial consultation is free.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
I'm going to give you my 2 cents whether you want it or not. See I prefer my fellow drivers to all be licensed and insured. So we don't always get what we want.

I'd want to know if you have a VALID license and just didn't have it with you, or if you don't? Also do you live in the "Not the best neighborhood"? If not, were you doing, or thinking of doing, anything illegal? See I think there is more to this story. But i'm a firm believer that the cops largely try to trap you and you blew it as soon as you rolled your window down below a crack to talk. Your first and perhaps only questions was "why am I being pulled over"? It may very well be your young looks, but maybe not and if there was no valid reason, then the stop is illegal and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines