U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM

179 posts, read 212,705 times

Advertisements

I'm usually disappointed in the first corn of the season. Tend to have small kernels, not a full flovered, this year may be different with all the rain

And it's "husking" one husks corn, shucking is some hollywood sterotypical hayseed word that I've never hear a native use, at least not in Eastern IA. No offense intended ET, just sayin...

I boil mine - more like 5 than 2 min, but I don't mind mine a little chewier. Butter and salt.

Can't wait to sit down to a meal of fresh sweet corn, sliced tomatoes and nothing else but more corn and tomatoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 PM

9,414 posts, read 10,396,637 times
I always say "shucking" and have never heard anyone say "husking" LOL I am originally from eastern Iowa, too. (well, SE at least) I seriously have never heard that word!

Edit: my boyfriend just reminded me of the team the Nebraska Corn Huskers. Well, I had no idea what a 'husker' was til just now now LOL

I still say "shucking"

Last edited by ElleTea; 07-11-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
A stand that says "Grimes corn" is actually closer than any of the grocery stores. There isn't anyone there, yet, but I plan on stopping by when it opens.

The farmer's market is tomorrow, too. I hope it doesn't get rained out.
Sounds like the drought is over there! I know you've been getting a lot of rain.

It's funny here to hear people complain about the humidty of monsoon season. I literally heard someone the other day say "It's SO muggy out! Wow, it's 38% humidity out! No wonder!"

I understand that 38% is high compared to the rest of the year when the humdity is much lower, sometimes in the single digits, but it sounds funny to hear that. In Iowa anything below 50% and we would say "wow, it's dry out here!" LOL

Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 PM

9,261 posts, read 17,962,253 times
The official "Grimes Sweet Corn" is grown and marketed by a family farm between Granger and Grimes. They also grown melons and tomatoes. It's just peaches and cream, there's nothing magical about the brand but they've done a good job marketing it. Some of the "pickup bed" stands have signs offering Grimes Sweet Corn, usually made out of cardboard so they aren't out much if the actual Grimes folks catch wind of it and make them take it down.

I never noticed a big difference in price between the stands and the grocery stores. It might vary by stand, I usually shopped the stands in Ankeny along Delaware and First streets. Plus with me it was usually an impulse thing; I'd see the stand and decide I wanted some corn, so on a given day I wouldn't necessarily know what the difference was.

One of the advantages to living out in the sticks is that I don't have to worry about the price of sweet corn anymore. I've got a few guys who give me more than I can eat free.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The official "Grimes Sweet Corn" is grown and marketed by a family farm between Granger and Grimes. They also grown melons and tomatoes. It's just peaches and cream, there's nothing magical about the brand but they've done a good job marketing it. Some of the "pickup bed" stands have signs offering Grimes Sweet Corn, usually made out of cardboard so they aren't out much if the actual Grimes folks catch wind of it and make them take it down.

I never noticed a big difference in price between the stands and the grocery stores. It might vary by stand, I usually shopped the stands in Ankeny along Delaware and First streets. Plus with me it was usually an impulse thing; I'd see the stand and decide I wanted some corn, so on a given day I wouldn't necessarily know what the difference was.

One of the advantages to living out in the sticks is that I don't have to worry about the price of sweet corn anymore. I've got a few guys who give me more than I can eat free.
Last time I bought corn from a stand, it was $7 a dozen, compared to like $4 a dozen at the grocery store. That's nearly double the price.

I have also been told that there is a science to good sweet corn, something to do with increase the sugar levels or something to make it sweeter. I was told that the corn in Adel has a higher sugar level, and that is how they "breed" it, so it tastes sweeter. I agree that it is sweeter which is why I preferred Grimes.

As a kid we added sugar to the water when boiling it to make it sweeter but farmers have figured out a way to sweeten it naturally so you don't have to do that anymore.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
And it's "husking" one husks corn, shucking is some hollywood sterotypical hayseed word that I've never hear a native use, at least not in Eastern IA. No offense intended ET, just sayin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I always say "shucking" and have never heard anyone say "husking" LOL I am originally from eastern Iowa, too. (well, SE at least) I seriously have never heard that word!
"Shucking" is the process of removing corn husks. I've also never heard anyone use the word "husking" in my 46 years (44 of which have been spent in rural Southeast Iowa and West-Central Illinois).

Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Last time I bought corn from a stand, it was $7 a dozen, compared to like $4 a dozen at the grocery store. That's nearly double the price.
I've never paid $7/dozen in season. Usually $2-$3, shopping at the end of the day.

Sweet corn has multiple levels of sugar content. The sugar begins to convert to starch at maturity, so the higher the level of sugar the longer the shelf life. Peaches and Cream one sweetness level higher than stanard and stays sweet for 2-4 days.

There's no single prominent sweet corn grower in Adel that I've ever heard of so I'd assume that a variety of varieties come from there and some may be a Supersweet or Synergystic variety, which would be sweeter than the peaches and creme variety identified with Grimes. But Peaches and Cream is Peaches and Cream, if one batch is sweeter than another it's probably fresher.

Last edited by duster1979; 07-11-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,836,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
And it's "husking" one husks corn, shucking is
Shucking is what we said in Ohio. It was "husking" in Michigan, too. I'll try to remember.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,836,640 times
I also heard today that Silver Queen is grown out here, too. It'll be an interesting trip to the farmer's market tomorrow. I'll see what's available. I'm not picky. It's nice to have fresh corn, again.

ElleTea, yes the drought is officially broken. I'm looking forward to the visit of the polar vortex next week. I hope the humidity drops, as well. I could really use several dry days in the 70s. I'm doing some landscaping in the back yard, and cool days are my friend!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM

28,704 posts, read 42,140,273 times
Quote:

Edit: my boyfriend just reminded me of the team the Nebraska Corn Huskers. Well, I had no idea what a 'husker' was til just now now LOL

I still say "shucking"
Husking and shucking are two different things.

Shucking leaves the innermost layer of leaves on the cob. Husking removes all the leaves.

Can't tell you why you would leave the leaves on, but that is the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines