U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am considering taking a job in IA at the Des Moines VAMC there. Can anyone suggest great apartments or homes for rent in the area that are safe, clean, and not to far from the VAMC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 AM

12 posts, read 11,627 times
The area around the VA isn't the best. I wouldn't say that it's unsafe, but finding a decent home or apartment in that area could be difficult. Beaverdale is a cute neighborhood nearby that would be within 5-10 minute drive. Downtown is also nearby with a 10-15 minute drive. The VA is kind of centrally located so even if you lived in the burbs it would only take about 20 minutes or so. Craigslist or apartmentfinder.com would be your best best on finding a place. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:21 PM

8,168 posts, read 7,835,096 times
I know someone who works at the VA and lives very close to there. She has a nice little house on a quiet street, and has no issues. She walks to work when the weather allows.

I would also start with Craig's List.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,517,382 times
Last one leaving Detroit turn out the lights!

If you're into Faygo pop, selected flavors are available at the Quik Trips (Yes, red, orange, and rootbeer), but no rock and rye, so bring a supply if you're into it. The best substitute is Goose Island Black Cherry, available at selected HyVee grocery stores. Meijer in Bloomington, IL is no longer carrying a wide selection of Faygo pop, and they were the closest place.

Campbell's pork and beans is another item in short supply. The HyVee house brand is the closest I've found. I guess Campbells got in an argument with the pork producers, so their product isn't that welcome here (?) . . . I run into cans at Walmart on occasion.

There's no Meijer here, either. I keep writing management, but my pleas are getting no response. If you normally buy Sauder furniture there, a place called Fleet Farm in Ankeny carries some and can order the full line. The Super Targets here are good and take up some of that slack for general household items at affordable prices.

Also, no Tim Horton's either . . . but there's a ton of better Mom & Pop places for breakfast.

Anyway, welcome! No lake effect snow here!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:56 PM

8,095 posts, read 14,021,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
If you normally buy Sauder furniture there, a place called Fleet Farm in Ankeny carries some and can order the full line.
Menards has the full Sauder line available as well, and the prices should be considerable lower than Mills.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:28 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,517,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Menards has the full Sauder line available as well, and the prices should be considerable lower than Mills.
That's true! I just found that out today.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 AM

2,964 posts, read 2,655,430 times
Directly across U.S. 6 (Douglas Ave.) from the north side of the medical center, Lower Beaver Rd. begins & heads north into an area called Lower Beaver. It is a post WW2 area that gets newer as you head north into the hilly areas such as Skyline Dr. that intermingle with & overlook the Des Moines River valley. It's a generally well-maintained area & considered to be safe.
Heading west nearly a mile on Douglas Ave. from the medical center, a right turn on Beaver Ave. will take you north & into another post war area that beginning at Aurora Ave. features nice 1960's era homes in the vicinity of Hoover High School.
Back at the Douglas & Beaver Ave. intersection, if you make a left, you enter the previously mentioned Beaverdale neighborhood which is largely a pre-WW2 neighborhood of modest but well maintained homes.
All of these areas are very convenient to the mc, feature good housing stock, are basically pleasant looking & considered to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: