Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
One neighborhood I chose seemed to be great at first but it ended up not being where I wanted to me and just merely being there at all was really starting to depress me. I actually was beginning to question whether I wanted to stay in Phoenix at all and started to research other places to move to.
This is a great point! I felt that way about Ohio and it took moving to Columbus before I liked the state a lot better.

I like where I am in Des Moines! I may have to move soon because I really, really need a ranch house with laundry on the first floor (not basement), but I know that I made the right move for now. Maybe when I'm older, I can look at warmer areas, too. But right now, I still have to earn a living, and other places don't have much work in my fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:40 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
While Riverbend might not be the worst of the worst, it is near the bottom, that we all seem to agree upon. Hopefully our friend from ND can get out and about in other parts of the metro and feel better about his decision to move to DM. A different location can really change your perspective on things. Once spring comes and the trees are blooming and everything is greening up, everything can seem much better.

I can relate. I live in Phoenix as most of you know (lived in Iowa all my life up till Nov 2013) and it has taken me a few moves to figure out where I "fit" here. One neighborhood I chose seemed to be great at first but it ended up not being where I wanted to me and just merely being there at all was really starting to depress me. I actually was beginning to question whether I wanted to stay in Phoenix at all and started to research other places to move to. (other warm weather areas of course ) In my searches I also came across a great little house with a great pool in an area that I knew I liked but hadn't considered moving to before. I ended up buying that house a year ago and have been MUCH happier in my new neighborhood!

I love Des Moines; I would still live there if not for winter. I was always fascinated by the Riverbend area. I drove 2nd Avenue to and from work every day and sometimes would shortcut through there. I can only imagine what the area was like in its prime with all the grand old houses, and it was heartbreaking to see the shape they were in. I do remember seeing the signs regarding the revitalization efforts but that doesn't happen overnight.

There is a lot happening in River Bend. Several new houses will finish up in the next month or so. Several have been rebuilt and more are pending.

However, until there is a plan for the flood prone industrial area at the river, it will continue to be a struggle. However, considering that it is river frontage and a brisk walk to the convention center (? That big thing with seats) and the convention center is tied to downtown with indoor walk ways, it is a only a matter of time.

The Henson group is doing that 75 acre place on the south side of downtown in the old industrial area, while it is well located to the lake recreation area and downtown, it isn't quick to an interstate. The River Bend industrial area is close to 235.

Additionally, there is so much not history there, it can be built totally modern, giving Des Moines a counter point to the lofts, (not saying anything bad about lofts, we will probably go look at some next week.) and Bohemian ideas of the up and coming East Village.

Modern has advantages, things like moving walk ways, smart elavstors and buildings, these can make really nice improvements in life style. Before you poo poo the ideas, go get in a car without a back up camera, or one were you have to actually push a button on the key fob to open the door, and worse! Put a key in the ignition.

It is SOooo, inconvient after having the former, to go back to the latter.

I would keep an eye on that space, also, the Henson Group is part of CBRE, they are big and can take on those type projects. With the Henson group doing big things on the south side of downtown, don't expect the north side to be ignored. Either Henson, or one of CBRE's competitors has probably been driving around.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This is a great point! I felt that way about Ohio and it took moving to Columbus before I liked the state a lot better.

I like where I am in Des Moines! I may have to move soon because I really, really need a ranch house with laundry on the first floor (not basement), but I know that I made the right move for now. Maybe when I'm older, I can look at warmer areas, too. But right now, I still have to earn a living, and other places don't have much work in my fields.
Jobs can be had anywhere! I couldn't take the winters any longer, period. I left a great job and house in Des Moines because of it. I had no issues finding work in my new city. Your tolerance may be higher than mine; I have never liked winter, not even when I was a kid and was supposed to like playing in the snow, NOPE! I always envied those kids who got to grow up where it was warm.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 23,054 times
To each their own. I'm a refugee now in southern CO and I'll admit I enjoy the Albuquerque like climate. Still, IMO opportunities are better in the Midwest. Had I not gone on permanent disability I probably would have stayed in Iowa

Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Jobs can be had anywhere!
Your work is somewhat portable and decent-paying. Yes, I suppose I could move to Phoenix and find some minimum wage crap job, but why do that while I can still earn enough to put some back for retirement? The day will come when I'll no longer be able to work, but it's not here, yet.

Besides, it's back in the 60s. I'm loving this weather.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Your work is somewhat portable and decent-paying. Yes, I suppose I could move to Phoenix and find some minimum wage crap job, but why do that while I can still earn enough to put some back for retirement? The day will come when I'll no longer be able to work, but it's not here, yet.

Besides, it's back in the 60s. I'm loving this weather.
My work is not at all portable, I quit my job in DM and started fresh when I got to Phoenix. I was able to easily find something that wasn't minimum wage or crap. I had 3 job offers within 10 days of looking. The job market is good here.

It will be in the 80s this week. Hopefully I'll be in my pool by the end of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: