U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 PM

92 posts, read 41,339 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Des Moines area and also love it here so far. I moved in a few months ahead of time just because I felt so at home here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 PM

15,381 posts, read 2,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IATransplant View Post
Transplant from a major city in the south here. Southern born and raised for 25 years and I think I have found my permanent home here in Des Moines and here is why.

1. Friendly people: folks here are very hospitable and easy to talk to. Iowa is not lacking in social skills! Iowans are just pleasant folks to deal with really.

2. Live atmosphere: Iowa is population wise the smallest state I have ever lived in. Des Moines is the smallest city I have ever lived in but man yall really pack a powerful punch! The state fair here is the best I have ever seen, the farmers market is also the best I have ever seen. The car shows are the best in America. The downtown club scene blows any city similar size out the water. There is always major concerts and events going on. The skywalk is so extensive and the city is growing so much. Des Moines is the biggest small city I have ever been to. Sure the town shuts down on Sunday but that is a nice change from the hustle and bustle that goes on here Monday thru saturday. I am accustomed to large cities like Atlanta and Dallas and somehow small little Des Moines Iowa satisfies my big city sweet tooth.

Crime and gangs: I know DM has issues with both of these. There ARE rough neighborhoods in DM but they are so small and well defined. Down south, you can robbed or carjacked pretty much anywhere so you have to be on guard and be smart. Our ghettos are so large and expansive some of them are almost as big as des moines the entire city! Some of our suburbs even have gang violence that makes the 6th avenue corridor look like urbandale. So it's nice living in a city and metro that is this safe for the most part.

Food and culture: so many great restaurants and unique places in des moines. I can't name them all if you have lived here you already know.

Morals and public service: Des Moines has more programs and opportunities to help the poor and homeless than I have ever seen. It just blows me away how many programs there are for the poor and homeless here and the people that run these programs and donate to them truly are passionate about making a difference. Everywhere I go I hear Christian music playing and it's ok to be openly Christian here. I just love it man.

Cleanliness: why is downtown and east village always so clean? I have a hard time even seeing a single cigarette butt on the sidewalk and I see people smoking! It makes no sense.

Raygun and zombie burger: Nuff said.

So in short Iowans I'm sorry for letting the secret out I just can't help myself I love iowa I think I finally found home.
I am glad you like Des Moines,OP.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,757 times
Default help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IATransplant View Post
Transplant from a major city in the south here. Southern born and raised for 25 years and I think I have found my permanent home here in Des Moines and here is why.

1. Friendly people: folks here are very hospitable and easy to talk to. Iowa is not lacking in social skills! Iowans are just pleasant folks to deal with really.

2. Live atmosphere: Iowa is population wise the smallest state I have ever lived in. Des Moines is the smallest city I have ever lived in but man yall really pack a powerful punch! The state fair here is the best I have ever seen, the farmers market is also the best I have ever seen. The car shows are the best in America. The downtown club scene blows any city similar size out the water. There is always major concerts and events going on. The skywalk is so extensive and the city is growing so much. Des Moines is the biggest small city I have ever been to. Sure the town shuts down on Sunday but that is a nice change from the hustle and bustle that goes on here Monday thru saturday. I am accustomed to large cities like Atlanta and Dallas and somehow small little Des Moines Iowa satisfies my big city sweet tooth.

Crime and gangs: I know DM has issues with both of these. There ARE rough neighborhoods in DM but they are so small and well defined. Down south, you can robbed or carjacked pretty much anywhere so you have to be on guard and be smart. Our ghettos are so large and expansive some of them are almost as big as des moines the entire city! Some of our suburbs even have gang violence that makes the 6th avenue corridor look like urbandale. So it's nice living in a city and metro that is this safe for the most part.

Food and culture: so many great restaurants and unique places in des moines. I can't name them all if you have lived here you already know.

Morals and public service: Des Moines has more programs and opportunities to help the poor and homeless than I have ever seen. It just blows me away how many programs there are for the poor and homeless here and the people that run these programs and donate to them truly are passionate about making a difference. Everywhere I go I hear Christian music playing and it's ok to be openly Christian here. I just love it man.

Cleanliness: why is downtown and east village always so clean? I have a hard time even seeing a single cigarette butt on the sidewalk and I see people smoking! It makes no sense.

Raygun and zombie burger: Nuff said.

So in short Iowans I'm sorry for letting the secret out I just can't help myself I love iowa I think I finally found home.
Ok.....so long story short we are from NWGA originally, chose Phoenix over Columbus OH in Feb 2016....oops....too hot here, it stinks (literally), the people are rude...and there is a LOT of BS here.

We visited DSM over this past weekend (5/6/2017) and loved it. It felt like people down south.

So to be personal...where are you from if you do not mind me asking? Rome, GA here...and be honest....do you see Des Moines continuing to grow in a positive way?

Thanks for any help we can get from another southerner..

Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM

392 posts, read 594,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleOfTheRoad74 View Post
Ok.....so long story short we are from NWGA originally, chose Phoenix over Columbus OH in Feb 2016....oops....too hot here, it stinks (literally), the people are rude...and there is a LOT of BS here.

We visited DSM over this past weekend (5/6/2017) and loved it. It felt like people down south.

So to be personal...where are you from if you do not mind me asking? Rome, GA here...and be honest....do you see Des Moines continuing to grow in a positive way?

Thanks for any help we can get from another southerner..
Hey buddy, I'm originally from Louisiana and lived a lot in Texas and Mississippi, and I just left a big long post in one of the other threads here, I believe about IT jobs.

I loved San Antonio, especially for all the stuff there is to do there, and how nice the folks are, but now that my wife and I have moved to Des Moines, we are hooked. The place is growing like gangbusters right now, which is skyrocketing the low real estate prices (invest now), and there really isn't anything negative we have to say about the area. We're 1000 miles from family now, but it's been worth it. Making friends may take a LITTLE longer than it does in some other major cities we've lived in, just because so many people here are native Iowans that already have their families and big friend groups and such, but you eventually find people to hang out with, since it's so friendly.

We are currently in a townhouse community in West Des Moines, and know of three other families that came here from Texas and one other from Louisiana, and everyone's happy. Just prepare for winter and go out and enjoy it. My wife and I just go out and trudge through some snowy parks to take pictures of frozen streams and such, and go horse around in our vehicles in empty, snowy areas, or walk through town to get a coffee on a cold day all layered up.

From this Southern family to yours, "y'all come on up here!" haha

Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM

392 posts, read 594,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenturtleblue View Post
Well I live in Des Moines. Not saying it applies to the entire state but I thought the discussion was pertaining to Des Moines in particular...
Hey bud, what's got ya down about DSM? My wife and I moved here somewhat recently from the Southwest too, and though we don't have the most active of social lives here just yet, we love it. Do you just not know any folks to hang out with?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:06 PM

158 posts, read 249,177 times
I'm finding this terribly hard to believe as I have experienced the opposite and I'm not alone. You must be a hawkeye or cyclones fan because that's the only way they will welcome an outsider.

After 8 years and I still feel like I don't fit in. I have made great friends but the majority of people haven't been very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or