U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,430 times

Advertisements

Transplant from a major city in the south here. Southern born and raised for 25 years and I think I have found my permanent home here in Des Moines and here is why.

1. Friendly people: folks here are very hospitable and easy to talk to. Iowa is not lacking in social skills! Iowans are just pleasant folks to deal with really.

2. Live atmosphere: Iowa is population wise the smallest state I have ever lived in. Des Moines is the smallest city I have ever lived in but man yall really pack a powerful punch! The state fair here is the best I have ever seen, the farmers market is also the best I have ever seen. The car shows are the best in America. The downtown club scene blows any city similar size out the water. There is always major concerts and events going on. The skywalk is so extensive and the city is growing so much. Des Moines is the biggest small city I have ever been to. Sure the town shuts down on Sunday but that is a nice change from the hustle and bustle that goes on here Monday thru saturday. I am accustomed to large cities like Atlanta and Dallas and somehow small little Des Moines Iowa satisfies my big city sweet tooth.

Crime and gangs: I know DM has issues with both of these. There ARE rough neighborhoods in DM but they are so small and well defined. Down south, you can robbed or carjacked pretty much anywhere so you have to be on guard and be smart. Our ghettos are so large and expansive some of them are almost as big as des moines the entire city! Some of our suburbs even have gang violence that makes the 6th avenue corridor look like urbandale. So it's nice living in a city and metro that is this safe for the most part.

Food and culture: so many great restaurants and unique places in des moines. I can't name them all if you have lived here you already know.

Morals and public service: Des Moines has more programs and opportunities to help the poor and homeless than I have ever seen. It just blows me away how many programs there are for the poor and homeless here and the people that run these programs and donate to them truly are passionate about making a difference. Everywhere I go I hear Christian music playing and it's ok to be openly Christian here. I just love it man.

Cleanliness: why is downtown and east village always so clean? I have a hard time even seeing a single cigarette butt on the sidewalk and I see people smoking! It makes no sense.

Raygun and zombie burger: Nuff said.

So in short Iowans I'm sorry for letting the secret out I just can't help myself I love iowa I think I finally found home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:29 AM

65 posts, read 59,808 times
IATransplant, glad you've found this little slice of heaven and made it all your own! Thank you for sharing your experiences and observations.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:33 PM

387 posts, read 473,962 times
RonnieJonez' attempt at performance art. Gotta love it.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:19 PM

9,114 posts, read 11,552,571 times
Default I Love Des Moines Iowa

I love Des Moines Iowa

Old 09-18-2016, 01:32 PM

26,493 posts, read 37,761,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
RonnieJonez' attempt at performance art. Gotta love it.

lmao

Old 09-18-2016, 07:45 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,656,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IATransplant View Post
Transplant from a major city in the south here. Southern born and raised for 25 years and I think I have found my permanent home here in Des Moines and here is why.

1. Friendly people: folks here are very hospitable and easy to talk to. Iowa is not lacking in social skills! Iowans are just pleasant folks to deal with really.

2. Live atmosphere: Iowa is population wise the smallest state I have ever lived in. Des Moines is the smallest city I have ever lived in but man yall really pack a powerful punch! The state fair here is the best I have ever seen, the farmers market is also the best I have ever seen. The car shows are the best in America. The downtown club scene blows any city similar size out the water. There is always major concerts and events going on. The skywalk is so extensive and the city is growing so much. Des Moines is the biggest small city I have ever been to. Sure the town shuts down on Sunday but that is a nice change from the hustle and bustle that goes on here Monday thru saturday. I am accustomed to large cities like Atlanta and Dallas and somehow small little Des Moines Iowa satisfies my big city sweet tooth.

Crime and gangs: I know DM has issues with both of these. There ARE rough neighborhoods in DM but they are so small and well defined. Down south, you can robbed or carjacked pretty much anywhere so you have to be on guard and be smart. Our ghettos are so large and expansive some of them are almost as big as des moines the entire city! Some of our suburbs even have gang violence that makes the 6th avenue corridor look like urbandale. So it's nice living in a city and metro that is this safe for the most part.

Food and culture: so many great restaurants and unique places in des moines. I can't name them all if you have lived here you already know.

Morals and public service: Des Moines has more programs and opportunities to help the poor and homeless than I have ever seen. It just blows me away how many programs there are for the poor and homeless here and the people that run these programs and donate to them truly are passionate about making a difference. Everywhere I go I hear Christian music playing and it's ok to be openly Christian here. I just love it man.

Cleanliness: why is downtown and east village always so clean? I have a hard time even seeing a single cigarette butt on the sidewalk and I see people smoking! It makes no sense.

Raygun and zombie burger: Nuff said.

So in short Iowans I'm sorry for letting the secret out I just can't help myself I love iowa I think I finally found home.
How did you happen to pick Iowa to move to?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 PM

4,950 posts, read 5,333,384 times
I moved here three years ago. I like Des Moines!

I'll just add that there are events all over the city on most weekends, as well as activities going on nearby, such as harvesting native prairie seeds in Elkhart. I had a bad cold, or I would've volunteered for that. It's really neat to see areas where the native prairie species have been replanted, and the monarch butterflies are migrating through Iowa right now. It was a good weekend to have been outside!

And this is not a sarcastic post in the least. Before I moved here, I used to think of Iowa as being flat with miles and miles of corn fields, but I've come to appreciate the beauty of the rural areas and the terrain for long bicycle rides.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM

26,493 posts, read 37,761,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I moved here three years ago. I like Des Moines!

I'll just add that there are events all over the city on most weekends, as well as activities going on nearby, such as harvesting native prairie seeds in Elkhart. I had a bad cold, or I would've volunteered for that. It's really neat to see areas where the native prairie species have been replanted, and the monarch butterflies are migrating through Iowa right now. It was a good weekend to have been outside!

And this is not a sarcastic post in the least. Before I moved here, I used to think of Iowa as being flat with miles and miles of corn fields, but I've come to appreciate the beauty of the rural areas and the terrain for long bicycle rides.

Five plants that help.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:32 PM

52 posts, read 49,670 times
I love Iowa too! Are there more scenic places to live? Sure. Are there places with better weather? Sure. Are there places with more activities and entertainment? Sure. But is there a better place to live? No, IMO. For me, the people are kind, polite, actually care about others (whether they know you or not), and it is a nice relaxing pace of life. Life in Iowa is not big or adventurous or flashy. It's just calm, safe and quiet. The life is not for everyone but I get the Iowan pride that many have. And as an 'outsider' (not born or raised in Iowa- although I never felt judged for this ) I also have that same level of pride for Iowa - as it is a truly special place. I am hoping to return someday...

Old 10-12-2016, 11:17 PM

3,252 posts, read 4,345,472 times
Never been there, but have friends there who swear I would like it and Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or