Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,877 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, we're a couple in our early 30s (no kids) moving to Des Moines right after Christmas for a new job.

Our budget is ideally around $1k/m. We would LOVE to live downtown but we also really want a 2 bedroom as well as a fitness center, garage, and balcony. Doesn't seem possible with downtown prices.

So right now we're looking at Meadowlark Place (1250 SE 11th Street in Grimes) or Adam Ridge Condos (10520 Norfolk Dr, Johnston). Does anyone know about these complexes? Meadowlark seems very nice but there's almost no info on Adam Ridge which makes us nervous. Any input on these two is appreciated.

Also, on second thought, the skywalk system downtown is really cool - are there any apartments that let you use the skywalk easily so you can avoid transportation entirely if you work downtown? For example I found a place called The Equitable that looks really nice. Not exactly sure how it works, but would go with a 1 bedroom if it was that easy to get to work downtown.

Thanks!

Last edited by ahdiya; 12-03-2016 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Good luck with your move. I look forward to the replies - I'm moving down from Minneapolis at the end of January and need a place to live myself!

Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
I"m not familiar with those apartment complex, but if your inclination is to want to live downtown, living in Grimes (especially) and Johnston would seem to be NOT the route to go...especially Grimes. I doubt you'll be very happy. There simply is no reason to live that far away from downtown (it sounds like that is where your job will be).

There are about 2300 units coming online now and within the next few months downtown so you should definitely look hard at this as an option.

Some apartments are on the skywalk system (many are close) so yes, you can leave your coat and rain gear in your apartment and walk to work assuming your office in on the skywalk as well.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 AM

The Equitable building is a beautiful building. I was thinking these were condos for sale, but maybe they are apartments? My guess is they'll be higher end though.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Finally, if downtown itself it too expensive for your budget, there are many nice apartment complexes just west of downtown in an area just recently renamed "The Avenues". (Ingersoll and Grand Avenues) as well as the Sherman Hill neighborhood.

You'll be less than 5 minutes from downtown.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:49 AM

75 posts, read 107,089 times
Have you thought about buying a house instead of renting? With interest rates creeping up, and expected to go higher over the next year, now might be the time. Obviously, duration of your planned stay in Des Moines and other factors play into that decision.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,189 times
I currently live in The Equitable and I must say I'm rather enjoying it. It has direct access to the skywalk, a coffee shop, potbellys on the first floor, full service deli bakery on the second floor in the skywalk all opening up within the next few months. Not to mention you may not even need to use your car much if you work downtown since there is a new full service groccery store (Hyvee) opening a few blocks away in Feb.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I"m not familiar with those apartment complex, but if your inclination is to want to live downtown, living in Grimes (especially) and Johnston would seem to be NOT the route to go...especially Grimes. I doubt you'll be very happy. There simply is no reason to live that far away from downtown (it sounds like that is where your job will be).

There are about 2300 units coming online now and within the next few months downtown so you should definitely look hard at this as an option.

Some apartments are on the skywalk system (many are close) so yes, you can leave your coat and rain gear in your apartment and walk to work assuming your office in on the skywalk as well.
This was my thought as well. Grimes and Johnston are both generally nice, often newer, areas and those apartments are probably fine, but they are far removed from the downtown, especially Grimes as you said. Great if you are wanting to raise a family with a smaller town feel, but not great if downtown living is what you desire.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,877 times
Thanks everyone. We're still considering the Equitable and also now Park Place, which is pretty inexpensive. The skywalk is right across the street. Running into an issue where most complexes downtown are income restricted.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdiya View Post
Thanks everyone. We're still considering the Equitable and also now Park Place, which is pretty inexpensive. The skywalk is right across the street. Running into an issue where most complexes downtown are income restricted.
Almost anything that has opened in the past year or so are market rate, NOT income restricted. You may just be finding that the ones with openings are income-restricted. A lot of the newer place have waiting lists as soon as they open their doors.

Park Place will get you downtown....northern edge. You'll still have about a block and half/two block walk to the nearest skywalk entrance (which isn't bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: