Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times

Advertisements

I'm not interested in watching Senators grandstand during hearings when their minds are made up before it begins.

All I know is that Vos has ZERO reason to need to subject herself to this and yet she agreed to accept this nomination. I'm giving her a chance. She has no dog in the fight. She personally is no better or worse off if nothing changes in the education system. She could just quietly live her life outside this type of public spotlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:22 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
I watched Warren & Sanders grill her. At this point, it's (should be) pretty obvious to everyone she's there solely as a favor due to her large donations. I really thought she would have at least studied the system between her nomination date and yesterday. She really has zero knowledge of how the system works, really doesn't care. She's just a shameless idiot. That's as nicely as I can put it. Kearney's letter is an understatement.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I watched Warren & Sanders grill her. At this point, it's (should be) pretty obvious to everyone she's there solely as a favor due to her large donations. I really thought she would have at least studied the system between her nomination date and yesterday. She really has zero knowledge of how the system works, really doesn't care. She's just a shameless idiot. That's as nicely as I can put it. Kearney's letter is an understatement.
But she has nothing to gain to take this position so why would she put herself through this? She lives an incredibly comfortable life.....she doesn't need this.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
But she has nothing to gain to take this position so why would she put herself through this? She lives an incredibly comfortable life.....she doesn't need this.
Same reasons why Trump ran for president. Power. Ego. Certainly not because she cares about America.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Same reasons why Trump ran for president. Power. Ego. Certainly not because she cares about America.
hummmm....I wonder if there is any chance that people with polar opposite political views can still both "care about America"?

Questioning a person qualifications is one thing. Questioning their beliefs in country (ie...what is in her heart") seems more than just a little over dramatic...and not really helpful to any serious discussion.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
I don't think throwing your name in the hat for education secretary is something a person does to feed a huge ego.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think throwing your name in the hat for education secretary is something a person does to feed a huge ego.
I agree. That is saved for Sec of Ag.

Damn that egomaniac Vilsack!!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
hummmm....I wonder if there is any chance that people with polar opposite political views can still both "care about America"?

Questioning a person qualifications is one thing. Questioning their beliefs in country (ie...what is in her heart") seems more than just a little over dramatic...and not really helpful to any serious discussion.
Did you watch the hearing? Did you listen to her answers? See her body language? People stop being naive here.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Did you watch the hearing? Did you listen to her answers? See her body language? People stop being naive here.
Her body language communicated that she didn't care about the country????

Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default Open letter...

Quote:
Her body language communicated that she didn't care about the country????

I watched major segments of it. So, no to the above.
Rather her body language dove-tailed with her words & communicated that she was absolutely in over her head in trying to answer or explain anything in a cohesive manner that could tell us as to why she is qualified to head a Cabinet level U.S. government department. That's all..
Seriously, she looked like the veritable deer-in-the-headlights.

The following link gets at something that is basic & unalterable about her "resume" & her hearing appearances although it specifically pertains to disability laws in education.
Note in particular that, "DeVos appeared to be unfamiliar with the law at the most basic level."
What's the best we could thus expect from her with her need for an extremely long learning curve?

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017...ts-idea-hassan

Also found in that link, please note that prior to the passage of the act in 1975 that directly led to IDEA, "only one in five students with disabilities received a public education." That was shameful for a nation of our stature & we must not waver in enforcing the act. Yet, there it is in testimony... Ms. DeVos would not commit to enforcing the law, a point that particularly troubled Senator Warren given that they had already discussed enforcement issues in a 1 on 1 basis in the Senator's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines