U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:48 PM

3,169 posts, read 3,037,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
hummmm....I wonder if there is any chance that people with polar opposite political views can still both "care about America"?

Questioning a person qualifications is one thing. Questioning their beliefs in country (ie...what is in her heart") seems more than just a little over dramatic...and not really helpful to any serious discussion.

Your last paragraph corresponds almost word for word with what I said to several relatives on my dad's side at a mini family reunion in northern Minnesota a few years ago when I heard their remarks about Obama & how he "..hates America."
I've often said that I first recognized the rise of the use of the politics of personal destruction in the 1990's & it continues unabated today.
I used to be more optimistic than I am now that that will ever go away.
Speaking of ego which thenewtexan wrote about in this thread, it would appear that we already have the first egoistic manifestations coming to the surface in this new administration. Get a load of this news item which I hope is reversed quickly as we just can't have this sort of childishness occurring in government.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...nQP/story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 06:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,545,887 times
the tweet came across my Facebook newsfeed. It was definitely intended to be a slam on the new administration...and that was my impression when I read it.

Probably not appropriate for a gov't entity to be retweeting something like that. Agreed?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 PM

No, no not at all. You interpreted it as a slam but some historical context is needed here for an understanding.
Why was it inappropriate to estimate the crowd size? I know for a fact from my own D.C. experiences that that The Department of the Interior has done such a thing for large D.C. Mall-based events. News accounts of crowd size estimates supplied via the Park Service were given when I was there for events in the late 80's & in the mid-90's.
So why should THIS inauguration attendance estimate have been treated any differently than what was done traditionally? Is it because of the notoriously huge ego & thin skin of someone?
I don't understand what the problem is with a government department giving crowd estimates for events on the National Park Service D.C. Mall area. Between that department and the D.C. Police Department they've given out estimates for things as innocuous as the annual 4th of July Mall Fireworks concert event.
Any perceived problem appears to originate with the "alternative facts" universe that the trump Administration will be living in going forward.
See below how we are entering the new bizarro world of trump senior advisor Kellyanne Conway and compare her world to a previous one..

Conway: Trump White House offered 'alternative facts' on crowd size - CNNPolitics.com

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/10031...?cb=1349270707

Last edited by atler8; 01-22-2017 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 AM

I'm not going to defend anything coming out of the Trump admin on this or the banning of tweeter use. That isn't my point. I'm barely following any news right now as it is too depressing for me. My comment is my own.

You can spin it however you want, but when this tweet hit MY newsfeed on Facebook it was framed as a way to make Trump look bad. That was MY impression that I got when I saw the tweet. If that was my takeaway (a non-Trump voter), it is safe to say others saw it that way too.

When you work for a gov't agency/dept, it is important to use utmost caution to appear neutral/unbais. You need to error on being cautious. Forwarding a tweet of just the Trump crowd would seem to me to be pretty neutral. Forwarding a comparison photo of the outgoing Prez (Of a different party)....not-so-much.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 AM

...and they wonder why people are open to trying something different.

Did the outgoing supposed highly qualified cabinet member for Dept of Ed make a difference?

Obama administration spent billions to fix failing schools, and it didn’t work

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.5960eba46258

It is this type of stuff that make me (and I'm assuming others) open-minded about Vos and not worried about her meeting some predetermined checklist of qualifications. We've had plenty of those "qualified" people in the past. How's that working out for us?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:36 PM

11,388 posts, read 6,803,935 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with duster.

That said, education should be a state and local issue, not something directed from bureaucrats in DC. My hope is that liberals/progressives that have continued to push for more and more money and power for DC, will start to wake-up now and see why that is such a concerning proposition. That is too much power!

The Republican platform calls for the elimination of the Department of Education (or at least it has in the past). Maybe that is the plan here (doubtful as I don't think Trump is for smaller gov't anymore than most politicians...but I guess we'll see).

Let's block grants funds for education to the states and let them, along with local school boards, decide what is most needed for their states, cities, and neighborhoods school districts.
The elephant in the room isn't DeVos; it's the NEA, and its bureaucratic allies.

And all that's needed is an elephant gun.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The elephant in the room isn't DeVos; it's the NEA, and its bureaucratic allies.

And all that's needed is an elephant gun.
Some random thoughts.

I think teachers would go a long way in gaining back respect for their profession if they'd disband teacher's unions and I believe it would ultimately lead to better education system as poor teachers would be weeded out faster.

What other profession uses unions? Why do teachers need unions, but lawyers, accountants, white collar workers at corporations ,etc do not?

People want theirs kids to be well-educated. It is not like there would be sweatshop schools employing teachers at min wage if teacher's unions disappeared.

I get that in the past, there may have been abuses (for lack of a better term) as mainly females were in the profession and there was little else available (career- wise) for them to move to if treated poorly by the school systems, so unions helped raise the pay and benefit standard they may not have been able to do individually. I get that. That is not the case today. If a teacher doesn't like the profession, they can change careers (many have) for greener pastures in other fields.

Anyone know a good argument for teacher unions to continue to exist today?

Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Open Letter..

Quote:
the tweet came across my Facebook newsfeed. It was definitely intended to be a slam on the new administration...and that was my impression when I read it.

Probably not appropriate for a gov't entity to be retweeting something like that. Agreed?
I just saw this. So is the converse ok, as in a demand that the National Park Service fulfill a request like this?
Clearly the man has MAJOR insecurity/inadequacy issues that were long evident but are now so obvious & problematic & which can't be overlooked now that he is in office.
I don't have the time to do now it but trust me, there is leaking going on big time from the White House, more specifically the West Wing. This weekend when I have more time I'll share the growing speculation that is arising on the state of the man. It ain't pretty...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d298796facb2

Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM

Since I mentioned the White House leaks a moment ago, I'll go ahead & post this too at this time.
The disarray in the W.H. among the staff & the subsequent leaking reveals a place of chaos and we're less than a week into the new administration!
Earlier today the meme was circulating, "Where is trump's Chief of Staff?"

http://https://www.washingtonpost.co...=.58ef0c0fcf7e

Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Just a brief change of direction here in order to remind us of the gutter crassness of the individual who has been installed as President of The United States, thanks to the electoral votes of states such as Iowa.
Quite something to be proud of, especially on a Sunday morning as some of us ponder other things...
Thanks to the Houston Chronicle for this item.

Gross Donald Trump tweet about Kate Middleton resurfaces - Houston Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or