U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 09:54 AM

5,787 posts, read 6,339,183 times

Advertisements

Greetings Des Moines! Wondering if this is a good or bad area? Or probably, just how bad is it?

2305 Saylor Road Des Moines IA 50313

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,888,113 times
Ha Ha, I was just looking at that listing the other night and put a little thought into it. Notice how the assessors site recently dropped the assessed value to 35k, that's almost unheard of. Just about every falling down piece of crap house in this city bottoms out at about 55 to 70K, even if it needs to be condemned. Did you see that poor sucker that paid 85K for it in 2007 ? I like that location for it being so close to the Neil Smith bike trail that goes from downtown to saylorville, but I would probably grade the neighborhood at about a D+ for crime, safety and the real deal killer for me, the tedious drive one would have to make for decent places to shop. The new HyVee downtown might help that problem for groceries, but I would be running to Southside, Ankeny or Altoona for about everything else. There is a nice park nearby, Union Park, but this is also the Birdland neighborhood, and the house is not very far up the hill from the river. They built a new levy along there to protect it, but this neighborhood has had many floods before. I think it should be OK now but I would not want that worry.

It's listed for 20 or 25k as I recall, did not look at the house but just about every one of those in that price range I go to look at, has severe structural problems of some sort, the foundation/masonwork, roof/floor caving in.

EDIT,

Did you also notice the previous owner has not paid taxes for a while, and you will assume 2 or 3k in taxes?

The only thing that peaked my interest on this property was the low assessed value, which might actually make it possible to keep your yearly taxes under $1k. That would be almost a miracle for Des Moines, until your start fixing it up, where they will jack it back up very quickly unless to file a 5/10 year tax abatement, get building permits/inspections. You might be able to fix up just the interior, and keep the exterior dumpy looking, they might keep it low then, lol.

Last edited by mofford; 01-17-2017 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 12:54 PM

LOL thanks for the awesome reply. Nope, I did not look much into it. This morning I was sent a tape of about 200 properties nationwide supposedly available 50% under market and this was one of three that caught my eye. I do not know the Des Moines market at all but have been interested in it for some time so just thought I'd ask. Sounds like it's way too much for me to take on at the moment. Plus this particular address looks like a dud.

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,543,028 times
The city has plans for the area, so might not want to write it off too quickly:

https://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Co...rea%20Plan.pdf

Also, some private investment:

Bike trail bar and grill planned at Birdland Marina

Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM

New amphitheater planned as well:

Concert venue proposed for Riverview Park

Des Moines has a new focus towards investing in infill projects and existing neighborhoods as opposed to growing around the edges like so many cities have, and continue to do.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
LOL thanks for the awesome reply. Nope, I did not look much into it. This morning I was sent a tape of about 200 properties nationwide supposedly available 50% under market and this was one of three that caught my eye. I do not know the Des Moines market at all but have been interested in it for some time so just thought I'd ask. Sounds like it's way too much for me to take on at the moment. Plus this particular address looks like a dud.

Thanks again for the reply!
The structure may or may not be dud. But seems to be an opportunity to get in early on a neighborhood poised for turn around. The only question is, will you be too earlier (or is that even possible given how inexpensive this is?)

Old 01-17-2017, 03:19 PM

63 posts, read 44,180 times
Union Park is actually not a bad area, it has some issues though, but overall it's not a bad area. I wouldn't say there is a lot of crime, but it exists. Saylor Road/Pennsylvania Ave actually has a lot of nice homes. The issue is that that neighborhood is right next to some of the less better off areas of the East Side and there are sketchy parts in the neighborhood itself. I would overall say it's not the best area of Des Moines, but it's ok. I would say you would be relatively fine there, but if you move a couple of blocks north or east of that area, it becomes "sketchy".

Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,888,113 times
Glad I could share my thoughts with you on this property OP, I wouldn't call this a dud until I went to look it over.

That immediate neighborhood is a quiet little pocket, and the river helps keep it that way. The worst direction to go from there is across the river to the west or southwest of there, along 2nd Ave. Those folks don't get along too well along there, between 2nd & 6th north of University, they make the nightly news very often, and there used to be a homeless camp they broke up a few years ago on the west side of the river off 2nd.

Going straight north along Saylor Rd, it turns to Cornell and eventually NE 3rd, and does not get any better or worse until you drive out of town.

Heading East, it gets a little worse to the east, but not severely, E 9th has been getting a little worse lately, but when you near E 14th it does get pretty rough, and stays pretty much like the area I described along 2nd avenue until you get on the other side of I-235, especially south of Guthrie.

Heading south of this neighborhood, it also gets a tad worse as the apartment complexes thicken up closer to University and it stays pretty rough until you get past the business districts north of Court, where it slowly improves as you continue south and get past Hartford and Indianola Road on SE 6th.

Summers would be nice along there close to Birdland Marina, nice green zone along Birdland Drive next to the river, nice bike trail, I think Union Park still has that old restored carousel for the little kids to enjoy. You would probably hear the carousel music playing faintly from your house, it is very close to there. The best of Des Moines public swimming pools is close to there, Birdland Pool, next to North High on Holcomb, it's the only pool that has diving boards and some depth to it.

Last edited by mofford; 01-17-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 PM

Thank you thank you to everyone who has replied! I think I'll have to pass as it's far more involved than I was hoping, but I do think it's cool that there is gentrification potential and Des Moines is looking at improving its neighborhood infrastructure and encouraging infill. I've always had a soft spot for the city since my days in Chicago, although I never was able to visit lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or