Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I’m born and raised in San Diego and am thinking about a career in court reporting schools...too bad they are all in unpleasant cities. DMACC has the shortest & cheapest program, so I am thinking about doing my time quick and getting out. Will I be miserable there for a short 2 years?

I have lived in Buffalo for 4 years so I can deal with the cold, I’m just curious what it is like around my campus, Newton, and if there are any fun things to do for young people. I also want to know if I will be safe at night walking to and from class, etc.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Spend the money and come visit for a long weekend. Newton is a tiny town. DMACC - Newton is a tiny commuter branch campus. There is not the typical "college" atmosphere with bars and lots of young people. My sense is that people live at home with their parents and drive there from other towns. There are no dorms.

You should also make sure that the program will last two years and that you have a back up if they close it due to lack of enrollment.

I have read articles about the so-called "high numbers" of court reporters that will be needed, but I also know that a number of people wash out of the programs because operating a stenograph for hours each day requires a skill set that only a limited number of people have. Perhaps you are one of them. Given all they need to know about English grammar, linguistics, law and medical terminology vs. the actual pay, I don't think the effort is worth it. If the CART programs paid better, that would be the way to go because you can start work as soon as you can transcribe 280 (or 380 - I don't remember) words/minute: no degree is required but you should be able to spell decently (-;

My suggestion would be to shadow a court reporter for a day if you can and use a stenograph for at least an hour before you commit to a program. If you can't do that, contact an organization for the deaf community that handles the CART program and shadow a CART provider for a day. CART providers use a stenograph to translate speech into closed captioning. They both take the same classes at the beginning

If you want to go into law, look closely at becoming a paralegal. Fewer students wash out of that program and you can frequently find a job after your first year, which will help you pay for your second year of classes. That way, you won't graduate in debt.

BTW: if you throw caution to the wind and buy a stenograph machine & software and then wash out of the program, email me. I'll buy your machine and software, if you haven't tossed your machine against the wall too many times.

Last edited by Meemur; 03-08-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Newton is very small. My barber's girlfriend is just finishing up this program and she lives in Des Moines and drove to Newton as needed for classes. That said, Des Moines is no San Diego but we all really like it here.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
If memory serves, the DMACC- Newton Campus has a small housing office where they can help you find a room in a house in Newton, but I've heard from others that since there are few jobs in Newton, you'd be better off living in Des Moines and commuting. However, I should warn you that Newton is not a fun drive in the winter: that campus closed twice so far because of ice storms.

As for living in Iowa, you'll hack it just fine if you survived Buffalo. There is tons more sun here in the winter. You can hack it for two years, easy. Just take my advice and know what you are getting into before you spend the money on school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines