U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,878 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My wife and I visited DSM over the weekend. Loved it! My big question is that I know there are IT jobs in DSM, but what is the honest, from people there, outlook of things job wise? Is this growth just a blip on the radar, or is DSM really growing and is it going to be able to be sustained?

We are in Phoenix now and hate it. We came here in Feb 2016 and it was down to here and Columbus, OH. We are wanting better weather, people, less BS in a town. DSM is it, but being it is the size it is, I just don't want to show, and two years later...BAM! The bottom falls out.

So how are the IT jobs and is the growth there in DSM real?

Thanks everyone!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times
Better weather in Des Moines​? If Des Moines HAD better weather I'd still be there!

Visit in February during blizzard season, not just in the spring when it's nice and blooming.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:17 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Microsoft is expanding in West Des Moines; Facebook is expanding in Altoona (6 miles NE of Des Moines).

I lived in Columbus, OH for 17 years. Des Moines is like Cbus was back in the 90s -- growing. I'll take Des Moines any day, and I wish I had moved out here sooner.

ElleTea is right: the winters are brutal. Last winter was an exception. I'm not going to lie: hard winters are one of the downsides and the most common reason transplants can't make it here. I don't think it's anything like winter up in Twin Cities, but since you're from GA originally, as I recall, you'll have some major adjusting to do.

If you'll commit yourself to dressing properly and taking up a winter sport, you'll do fine. If you don't have that attitude, you'll want out after the first year (assuming we have a more normal winter! Last winter was scary warm. We're overrun with bugs now.)

There's a lot to like about Phoenix. Be sure that you have solid reasons for moving. There's a lower COL here, and if you decide you want to go back, you'll have to save money to do it.

After reading some of your other posts, I also think you might look into Knoxville, TN. There are computer jobs there and a decent climate.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 2,961 times
What type of IT job? If it is software development, I know the market is pretty good for that right now.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Microsoft is expanding in West Des Moines; Facebook is expanding in Altoona (6 miles NE of Des Moines).

I lived in Columbus, OH for 17 years. Des Moines is like Cbus was back in the 90s -- growing. I'll take Des Moines any day, and I wish I had moved out here sooner.

ElleTea is right: the winters are brutal. Last winter was an exception. I'm not going to lie: hard winters are one of the downsides and the most common reason transplants can't make it here. I don't think it's anything like winter up in Twin Cities, but since you're from GA originally, as I recall, you'll have some major adjusting to do.

If you'll commit yourself to dressing properly and taking up a winter sport, you'll do fine. If you don't have that attitude, you'll want out after the first year (assuming we have a more normal winter! Last winter was scary warm. We're overrun with bugs now.)

There's a lot to like about Phoenix. Be sure that you have solid reasons for moving. There's a lower COL here, and if you decide you want to go back, you'll have to save money to do it.

After reading some of your other posts, I also think you might look into Knoxville, TN. There are computer jobs there and a decent climate.
The COL in Phoenix is not much different than Des Moines, in my experience. Property taxes are much higher in Iowa and produce is much cheaper in Phoenix. Otherwise I have found most things to be very similar.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The COL in Phoenix is not much different than Des Moines, in my experience.
I believe you're renting, too, which can have an impact. I have two sets of elderly relatives in Phoenix and one set in Tucson, who give me earfuls on occasion!

But I'm glad your move worked out for you. I know that my energy and health probably won't allow me to be battling ice and snow in my 80s.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I believe you're renting, too, which can have an impact. I have two sets of elderly relatives in Phoenix and one set in Tucson, who give me earfuls on occasion!

But I'm glad your move worked out for you. I know that my energy and health probably won't allow me to be battling ice and snow in my 80s.
I'm not renting. My property taxes are about 1/5 what I paid on Des Moines, and I have a larger lot with a pool here.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times
I lived in DSM for a year back in 2012 and worked in IT.

Back then, at least, it was pretty well booming. I worked at Principal, which is a great place to be if you can get hired on as an FTE, but they do use a lot of contractors. You could basically leave one downtown company and start at another in short order - I have some friends still living there who have done exactly that. I know people at Ruan, Wells Fargo in WDM, etc. IT jobs at the insurance/financial firms are big, but it's not a one horse town either.

I am from Tennessee, about an hour and a half east of Knoxville, and yeah, the winters are going to be a problem for someone from the South. Not only that, but I had never seen thunderstorms like the ones in Iowa before. Moving to Des Moines was my first move out of state completely on my own and being out of driving range of my family. I didn't like the job (call center IT support) and ultimately moved back, but I was younger then, had no family or reason to be there, etc. Being a little older now, I'd probably stay if I move back.

If you were considering Knoxville, keep in mind its job market sucks compared to Des Moines, Columbus, etc., even though it's a larger metro than DSM. DSM just feels like a bigger city too. I was making $45,000 as an FTE help desk worker at Principal in 2012 - jobs like that in Knoxville pay around $30,000 or so. Yes, Knoxville is going to be cheaper, particularly on taxes, but jobs don't pay well like they do in the Midwest. Be prepared for a significant pay cut coming from Phoenix or the Midwest to Tennessee. Your car insurance will go up, groceries are much more expensive than in Iowa, etc.

I also lived in Indy for three years. I'd choose Columbus over Des Moines. Both have good economies, pay is good compared to cost of living, but Columbus should have a little better winters and the location is not as isolated IMO.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleOfTheRoad74 View Post
Hello everyone! My wife and I visited DSM over the weekend. Loved it! My big question is that I know there are IT jobs in DSM, but what is the honest, from people there, outlook of things job wise? Is this growth just a blip on the radar, or is DSM really growing and is it going to be able to be sustained?

We are in Phoenix now and hate it. We came here in Feb 2016 and it was down to here and Columbus, OH. We are wanting better weather, people, less BS in a town. DSM is it, but being it is the size it is, I just don't want to show, and two years later...BAM! The bottom falls out.

So how are the IT jobs and is the growth there in DSM real?

Thanks everyone!!!
I also meant to ask, what do you mean by "less BS in a town?" What BS are you currently dealing with after just a year?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
but Columbus should have a little better winters and the location is not as isolated IMO.
Columbus winters have more ice and less sunshine than Des Moines winters. They are warmer, with less wind. I will have been out here 4 years in August, and there has only been about 4 - 5 true black ice days as opposed to the dozens each year in Cbus. I was commuting on rt. 315 through the hospital curve and that was a constant concern, even with the pavement sensors. The January before I left had day temps in the 40s but night temps in the 20s. Ice was everwhere. I lived in my Yaktrax in the evenings. DSM is colder but there is generally a snow pack, which makes for safer walking.

DSM isolated? Hardly. There's Twin Cities, Omaha, KC, and Chicago plus more acts are coming here: Paul McCartney will be here in June (?) -- can't remember the month.

Both cities have a lot to offer, but my SAD is gone! That was an unexpected bonus for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or