Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:21 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times

Advertisements

Maybe there's a reason why this isn't being discussed, but considering the abnormally high homicide rate DSM has been experiencing this year, I'm sort of surprised it hasn't been touched yet. Sunday morning DSM recorded its 15th homicide for the year (that's almost 1 homicide per week). It's gotten so bad that DMPD held a press conference today in an effort to try an curtail the violence.

What's even weirder is that there isn't a discernable pattern (i.e. gang/drug activity, isolated to a certain neighborhood, etc). They're happening in virtually every corner of the city and involving people from all walks of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
It isn't' being discussed? Whoa...that seems to be is all I hear about these days.

See Des Moines city website of news conference held this morning. It is all hands on deck to address.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Sorry, I meant to say it isn't being discussed much here in C-D (at least the Iowa forums).

Old 05-24-2017, 09:20 AM

392 posts, read 749,314 times
Yeah it has been a bit disconcerting. I've noticed quite a few shootings have occurred in and around Beaverdale too, and there was a shooting a day or two ago in West Des Moines. I can't come up with a reason either, because the economy and unemployment are doing well here at least, so what is the problem? I know the metro is growing rather rapidly, but not so much as to have THAT kind of violence increase.

There have been 15 murders in DSM proper thus far, but even more shootings that just haven't killed the victim. Almost none of the victims ever talk either, which leads one to think of gang warfare and drug-related crime.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 AM

The DM police have repeatedly said this is a problem that they believe is isolated to same group of bad seeds. I read this as gang related .

Old 05-24-2017, 11:45 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
The DM police have repeatedly said this is a problem that they believe is isolated to same group of bad seeds. I read this as gang related .
Yes. They need to be rounded up and sent back to Chicago.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes. They need to be rounded up and sent back to Chicago.
Unfortunately it appears they may have infiltrated some of the local refugee community.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it appears they may have infiltrated some of the local refugee community.
Yikes! I'll look into this a little more later today. If so, we really will have to galvanize the neighborhoods.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:15 PM

392 posts, read 749,314 times
Quote:
I did see that some Sudanese were involved in one of the most recent shootouts, so that's possible.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
This whole thing in Des Moines mirrors what's going on in Sioux Falls as well.

Sioux Falls, for those that haven't been there, is pretty much the same city as Des Moines minus about 100k people.

The last 5-10 years have seen crime explode in our city. 10 years ago I would have walked in any neighborhood in the city after dark. Wouldn't dream of it now in MANY of the neighborhoods.

Where's the problem?

Just watch the news. As we watch the perp. walks on TV we hear the names of those arrested for the violent crimes. Most of the names are un-pronounceable names from pick your favorite immigrant nation OR they're products of our major city ghettos from the Twin Cities or Chicago. Few exceptions.

Make sure to up your donations to Lutheran Social Services.

Oh my GOD, what racist comments. Yes, maybe so, but IT'S THE REALITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines